Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

I heard that when bats or other animals like pigs are stressed (as they would be in the markets or conditions like slaughterhouses) they tend to shed more viruses and that could have been what happened here even though covid might have been living in bats for years without a problem.

I heard that when bats or other animals like pigs are stressed (as they would be in the markets or conditions like slaughterhouses) they tend to shed more viruses and that could have been what happened here even though covid might have been living in bats for years without a problem.
You may or may not care depending on your predilection for pedantry but I like to know these things. If you don’t care, just ignore me:

COVID stands for COronaVIrus Disease and specifically refers to the illness people develop as a result of catching this coronavirus. (And it’s COVID-19 because the disease was discovered in 2019). The virus itself is SARS-COV-2, standing for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome COronaVirus 2.
So the bats would have been living with SARS-COV-2 rather than with covid.

You may or may not care depending on your predilection for pedantry but I like to know these things. If you don’t care, just ignore me:

COVID stands for COronaVIrus Disease and specifically refers to the illness people develop as a result of catching this coronavirus. (And it’s COVID-19 because the disease was discovered in 2019). The virus itself is SARS-COV-2, standing for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome COronaVirus 2.
I'm not really all that happy about various inconsistencies in their naming conventions tbh.

What's particularly annoying for a pedant is that COVID-19 is not an acronym for the disease name "Coronavirus Disease 2019", it's the actual name of the disease. It was derived from that phrase, but people shouldn't treat it as an acronym that can sometimes be written out in full.

Is it more likely that a naturally occurring virus moves from animal to human or that it moves from animal to highly secure laboratories then breaks out and escapes to a wet market where it infects humans. I'd say the first is far more likely but I guess we'll never know.
I don't want to labour the lab issue, but I think you complicate the possibility perhaps to make it seem less likely I don't know? If the particular virus was being studied in the lab it didn't need to do anything so complex as to escape to a wet market to infect humans. It only needed to infect one person in the lab and be carried out of there in that person.

Italy

from 16/05/2020 Italy to lift coronavirus travel restrictions
Italy's government has signed a decree that will allow travel to and from the country from 3 June, as it moves to ease its coronavirus lockdown measures.

It will also allow travel between the regions - which has so far been tightly restricted - from the same day.
The move marks a major step in the country's efforts to reopen its economy after more than two months of lockdown.
Countries across Europe have continued to report decreasing daily death tolls, as lockdowns begin to ease. Portugal, Spain and Greece are among the countries to have relaxed their measures

don't veiw if you are effected by the sight of blood. Looking at 12 cases of people who died with the virus. Pictures of lungs and blood clots.

Thanks for posting this extra dry .

One of the stand out points made made in video is that of the 12 autopsies, all of them died of pulmonary complications, all of them had C-19 viral RNA found in their lungs, but only nine had it in their throat, which is significant for testing. Watch from 3’20” - 4”45” for this information.

Last edited:
Brazil loses their second health minister, as disagreements with Bolsonaro become too great.

from 15/05/2020 Second Brazil health minister quits in a month
Brazil's health minister has resigned after less than a month in the job following disagreements over the government's handling of the country's escalating coronavirus crisis.

Nelson Teich had criticised a decree issued by President Jair Bolsonaro allowing gyms and beauty parlours to reopen.
However, he gave no reason for his resignation at a press conference.

His predecessor was sacked after disagreeing with Mr Bolsonaro.

Might not agree with his politics but at least I can understand this PMs message "With the same conviction with which I asked them to stay at home, the appeal that I now make is that, safely, with caution, they resume the process of occupying the street, returning to the street, returning to the stores, returning to the restoration , back to cafes, because that is how, collectively, we will be able to relaunch our life in the country again ", António Costa Portuguese PM

Might not agree with his politics but at least I can understand this PMs message "With the same conviction with which I asked them to stay at home, the appeal that I now make is that, safely, with caution, they resume the process of occupying the street, returning to the street, returning to the stores, returning to the restoration , back to cafes, because that is how, collectively, we will be able to relaunch our life in the country again ", António Costa Portuguese PM
hmm, I am wondering which country will be the first to re-establish lockdowns, most of the countries opening up still have quite high numbers of cases which could grow.

An update for May 13-15th from Dr. Campbell.

Talks about the infection rates, the R number and other stats. in london, new york and a few other countries.
Fact based no BS.

hmm, I am wondering which country will be the first to re-establish lockdowns, most of the countries opening up still have quite high numbers of cases which could grow.
Yes its a risk and I'm sure progress wont be even. They've not ruled out regional responses here if it is required.

Interesting stuff

Nearly 150,000 people die per day worldwide, based on the latest comprehensive research published in 2017. Which diseases are the most deadly, and how many lives do they take per day?

Here’s how many people die each day on average, sorted by cause:
zi7lELFlW-n1QDXKeexNI0UOulkGbviFFJwAmp-AG-k.PNG

DGeMsvX0uNKPCo7qMyTM8zPQDhZFCWEZlOwYyCm3Dp4.jpg

oVp_aI8d3Z7SiuSZMT6rkrndKNfVYUU__nHJtxouQao.jpg

0O5SUMKrsoqYmk7MHeJNvn227t42AS6cOf5MC6Qe4_s.jpg

Interesting stuff

Nearly 150,000 people die per day worldwide, based on the latest comprehensive research published in 2017. Which diseases are the most deadly, and how many lives do they take per day?

Here’s how many people die each day on average, sorted by cause:
zi7lELFlW-n1QDXKeexNI0UOulkGbviFFJwAmp-AG-k.PNG

DGeMsvX0uNKPCo7qMyTM8zPQDhZFCWEZlOwYyCm3Dp4.jpg

oVp_aI8d3Z7SiuSZMT6rkrndKNfVYUU__nHJtxouQao.jpg

0O5SUMKrsoqYmk7MHeJNvn227t42AS6cOf5MC6Qe4_s.jpg

Exactly, its not covid 19 vs other deaths, its other deaths AND covid 19.

Back
Top Bottom