Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Spotted

Wow! You're a charmer.
Any particular reason why you're being so aggressive?
It's a typo. As English isn't my first language or the one I mainly communicate in, I've turned off autocorrect.

Maybe you aren't a troll or a cunt but anybody who trusts Putin strikes me at best, as a little naive.

*awaits reports of people at home overdosing on vast volumes of Vit C:

Dr Pierre Kory is reporting great success treating coronavirus patients with corticosteroids, vitamin c and heparin, he presented to the US Senate last week:

"Members of our group have now treated in excess of 100 hospitalized patients with our treatment protocol... nearly all survived, the two that died were in their eighties and had advanced medical chronic conditions. None of the patients had long stays on the ventilators, none were ventilator dependent, and most had short hospital stays and were discharged in general good health." 2:17

"Ascorbic acid... known as vitamin C, everyone dismisses it as a vitamin. Those of us who use it and know its physiology and its potency, it's not only a vitamin, it acts as a stress hormone in fighting off infections. It's critical and has synergistic capabilities along with steroids... we strongly promote that, it prevents the development of leaky blood vessels within the lung, and avoids the development of lung failure, it should always be used when paired with corticosteroids" 12:45

New Zealand is re-opening. :thumbs:

Malls, retail stores and restaurants are all reopening Thursday in the South Pacific nation of 5 million, and many people are returning to their workplaces. But most gatherings will be limited to 10 people and social distancing guidelines will remain in place.

The reopening reflects the success New Zealand has experienced in its bold goal of eliminating the virus. The country reported no new cases of the virus on Tuesday and Wednesday. More than 1400 of the nearly 1500 people who contracted COVID-19 have recovered, while 21 have died.

anybody who trusts Putin strikes me at best, as a little naive.
Maybe I am being naive. I just didn't see any reason to distrust their data.
'...because Putin' hadn't occured to me as being such an important scientific factor.

Do we now reject the German results because Merkels goverment were complicit in widespread data manuipulation in the not so distant past?
And South Korea who've suffered data manaipulation from consecutive corrupt governments?

Last edited:
'...because Putin' hadn't occured to me as being such an important scientific factor.

Do we now reject the German results because Merkels goverment were complicit in widespread data manuipulation in the not so distant past?
And South Korea who've suffered data manaipulation from consecutive corrupt governments?

What news sources would you trust?

This seems to be getting some attention in the last 24 hours - reports of a lot of kids presenting with an inflammatory syndrome, post-Coronavirus. This story is from Italy, I've also seen reports about similar observations in the US:

BBC saying it could be a delayed immune response. Just in time for the schools to reopen.

Last edited:

I'm not going to engage with you any further till you have a posting history which gives some indication that you aren't a conspiraloon and/or a moron. Diving head first into a discussion to share your "provocative insights" isn't the best start here.

Reactions: tim
It seems lacking that Covid-19 doesn't have sneezing as a spreading tactic. It's the best way to get every motherfucker in the room.

Maybe the induce sneezing trick will evolve during a second infection surge.

Last edited:
Just got back from the bank and was impressed by the measures they have in place. One customer in the branch at a time - others wait outside. There are screens between the customer and the bank worker, and you also have to sit around a meter away. All staff in masks and gloves, some with visors too. Very organised.

It seems lacking that Covid-19 doesn't have sneezing as a spreading tactic. It's the best way to get every motherfucker in the room.

Maybe the induce sneezing trick will evolve during a second infection surge.

To frogwoman: it's not a great prospect but I would have thought it's possible. I mean, more possible than the virus mutating to make its carriers incredibly charismatic so everyone else wants to shake their hand.

Tiny numbers, but significantly higher than you'd normally expect.
Enough to affect policy decisions, though? Schools are germ factories at the best of times. There is always a non-zero chance that your kid will pick up something nasty at school. Does this additional thing change the scale of risk significantly? If not, and it looks like it probably doesn't, then it's not a reason to change policy.

I just saw one of their scientific advisors on the news describing how they did it. They decided to avoid the whole 'flatten the curve' theory and instead completely obliterate it. And hey, it worked. No new cases in almost a week. People are in pubs and getting fucking haircuts. While I'm on day 50 of Come Dine With Me.

That’s a welcome bit of good news.

My gf has just told me that she’s going to get waxed and has an appointment at 5pm today. Her usual beautician is closed as would be expected, so - she thought for a while that a house near us was operating as a beautician - lots of ladies pulling up onto their drive coming and going, so she popped along and was proved correct. The house is pretty big and has a mammoth garden room on the back I expect that is being used for treatments.

Not sure what to make of it tbh, are they using PPE etc? But I reckon there’s quite a big underground coronavirus economy underway across the country.

That’s a welcome bit of good news.

My gf has just told me that she’s going to get waxed and has an appointment at 5pm today. Her usual beautician is closed as would be expected, so - she thought for a while that a house near us was operating as a beautician - lots of ladies pulling up onto their drive coming and going, so she popped along and was proved correct. The house is pretty big and has a mammoth garden room on the back I expect that is being used for treatments.

Not sure what to make of it tbh, are they using PPE etc? But I reckon there’s quite a big underground coronavirus economy underway across the country.
I was talking to my son last night who told me about hairdressers, beauticians all being run from houses locally in the garden or garage. Said they wore masks and only one customer at a time.

To frogwoman: it's not a great prospect but I would have thought it's possible. I mean, more possible than the virus mutating to make its carriers incredibly charismatic so everyone else wants to shake their hand.
I was reading an article a little while ago that made the point that when a virus jumps species, it is not only a shock to the systems of the new host, it's also a shock to the systems of the virus itself. In order to make the jump, the virus needs to evolve just enough to survive in the new host, but not necessarily to survive in anything like an optimal way (although evolution doesn't find optimal - it only finds 'best available from here'). You're right that making people sneeze is a good trick for any human virus. Killing the host also isn't an optimal evolutionary strategy, which gives some hope in its future evolution. It does appear to be evolving to become more easily transmitted, though - requiring fewer, or less intense, exposures.

It's always hard to predict evolutionary selection pressures as evolution is a story told backwards, but at first thought, I would think totally asymptomatic transmission would be the ultimate strategy to evolve into.

Last edited:
From SARS-COV-2's point of view it doesn't really need to change much as its spreading very nicely as it is. Which does give some hope for a vaccine tbh.

From SARS-COV-2's point of view it doesn't really need to change much as its spreading very nicely as it is. Which does give some hope for a vaccine tbh.
It doesn't really work in terms of "needs to". It'll change if some mutation happens to make it more spreadable.

Presumably if we have a situation where most of the transmission is happening in hospitals, then that is not particularly good news for how it will evolve, because it will tend to select for varieties that cause severe symptoms (isn't this kind of what happened with the Spanish flu)?

Is it surprising the most social distant country in the world did well. I wonder how strict their quarantine at the airport is now?

Sorry, what are you on about.? From my experience Russia has a brilliant health care system..
Why do you doubt their numbers?
Germany also has irregular looking national death rate statistics compares to the uk, do you not believe them either?

Well, seen as you asked. From looking at basic its stats it seems that in Germany 4.5% of those who tested positive sadly died. In Russia it is currently less than 1%. So yes, I do find Russia's a bit strange, it could be an outlier.

As for my view of Russian healthcare, well I've actually visited a couple of Russian hospitals (getting friends patched up) and both times they were very decent if quite expensive (could have been private hospitals, we just go where we're told). My point being that I don't think they are that much better than anyone else's to justify that low death to positive test ratio and in a country where opposition politicians and jounos have a habit of getting themselves killed I'm a bit sceptical.*

*usual and becoming tiresome caveat of acknowledging that every country is cooking the books to a degree.

Back
Top Bottom