Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

I was just thinking similar. How many people with depression, stress and anxiety will this push over the edge? Worrying Times.
I have been really isolated for months due to illness. Self isolate for four months. I may just go wandering. Cant see my brain would take it without depression otherwise.

I was just thinking similar. How many people with depression, stress and anxiety will this push over the edge? Worrying Times.

But also, this is happening after 10 years of grinding austerity. There is no buffer, no bounce, no fat to fall back on at all our system. We're pared back to the bedrock as it is. People are worn out and used up. This lie about people being happily employed when in fact it's zero hours contracts and the gig economy and people at home fossicking around with kitchen table hopes and dreams. There is nothing to soak any of this up.

If pubs shut in the uk for a month plus, how long before riots?
If jobseekers ain't paid how long before riots?
If home helps dont come and leave clients in their own feaces in bed all day, how long before riots?
The Govt should be more scared than when they tried the poll tax.
Nearly 30 years ago that. Anniversary is next month. The return of the London Mob is close.

If pubs shut in the uk for a month plus, how long before riots?
If jobseekers ain't paid how long before riots?
If home helps done come and leave clients in their own faces in bed all day, how long before riots?
The Govt should be more scared than when they tried the poll tax.
Nearly 30 years ago that. The return of the London Mob is close.

People won't riot in a pandemic til they're hungry.

All the east euros in Ireland working for fuck all in pubs and cafes and restaurants and with no recourse to public funds.
What will they do? LiamO what's the feeling over there?

Only 2 days food supplies in London. See how parents act when they cant feed their kids for two days.

According to the spods on The Food Programme yesterday the food chain is currently in pretty good order (although of course they would say that wouldn't they). I suspect that - because of the risk of civil unrest if the food runs out - they'll do their best to keep it going.

Reactions: Ax^
But also, this is happening after 10 years of grinding austerity. There is no buffer, no bounce, no fat to fall back on at all our system. We're pared back to the bedrock as it is. People are worn out and used up. This lie about people being happily employed when in fact it's zero hours contracts and the gig economy and people at home fossicking around with kitchen table hopes and dreams. There is nothing to soak any of this up.
There is fat, there is spare, there is enough for everyone. It needs to be taken by murderous force from those who obsess about accumulation and depriving us from our righful share.

According to the spods on The Food Programme yesterday the food chain is currently in pretty good order (although of course they would say that wouldn't they). I suspect that - because of the risk of civil unrest if the food runs out - they'll do their best to keep it going.

Did you, a rational person, believe this?

There is fat, there is spare, there is enough for everyone. It needs to be taken by murderous force from those who obsess about accumulation and depriving us from our righful share.

It's not in the system though, it's been creamed off.

I get what you mean: the resources and riches still do exist. But the significance of way the rest of us have been left with fuck all cannot be underestimated or undone*. So the current situation of a serious pandemic is happening in the context of there being nothing. It's as if there's nothing, Because those crazy locusts have stolen it away from us.

*well at any rate not right away, and not right now.

All the east euros in Ireland working for fuck all in pubs and cafes and restaurants and with no recourse to public funds.
What will they do? LiamO what's the feeling over there?

They do have recourse to public funds, at least until we leave the EU - not sure about after that.

It is really strange to watch my country, Canada, shut down.

Everything is closing down, right down to my curling club. Schools, churches, coffee chains, community groups, charities, anything that requires human contact is gone.

The hospital in my closest town, Alexandria, Ontario ( pop 3000), had our first confirmed case of the virus. It shattered any hope that this was a big city problem. I know my paranoia sky rocketed. Several hours later, a release said that the woman was not from here. She was in the next county over and just used our hospital due to our short wait times.

So, we are sitting here at home. No curling, no wood carving, just maple syrup and the occasional visit from my daughter. She brings her new babe up to escape from Alexandria.

It is really strange to watch my country, Canada, shut down.

Everything is closing down, right down to my curling club. Schools, churches, coffee chains, community groups, charities, anything that requires human contact is gone.

Meanwhile, the 'future leaders of Canada' over at Queens couldn't help but have another of their street parties this weekend. My Step daughter is a triage nurse and was working at Kingston General Hospital 1/2 a KM away triaging these drunk assholes.

For those not in the know, Queens university in Kingston prides itself as the "Harvard of the North" (the son of former PM Stephen Harper did his undergrad there) and is also one of the most notorious party schools in the country. The block parties of previous years have included flipped cars, roofs collapsing under the weight of the students standing on it, and a perennial mess of broken glass and litter.

Global news coverage.

Last edited:

I'm not convinced of the merits of that. Some of its methodology surely makes issues caused by the undetected cases, and other issues with timely testing, have a potentially even more misleading effect on what is trying to be deduced from the data. For example a lot of cases that died will likely not have tested positive 14 or more days before their death, because they were not spotted till quite late on. And if those cases werent picked up early, then a hell of a lot of other ones were surely missed at the time too. Some of the early UK deaths were only tested very close to the point of their death.

Not that this lets us off the hook. I think several locations have demonstrated that case fatality rates can be much higher at early stages, especially when widespread community outbreak is not detected until the seriously ill patients, quite close to death already, are detected. And, given the rather high percentage of cases that need hospital care to survive, overwhelmed hospitals etc can also make a hideously large difference to mortality rates.

Last edited:
Not that this lets us off the hook. I think several locations have demonstrated that case fatality rates can be much higher at early stages, especially when widespread community outbreak is not detected until the seriously ill patients, quite close to death already, are detected. And, given the rather high percentage of cases that need hospital care to survive, overwhelmed hospitals etc can also make a hideously large difference to mortality rates.

King County in Washington state also provides an example.
(data from https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/Coronavirus )

420 positive/confirmed cases. 37 deaths.

Clearly this is a vivid example of insufficient number of tests/positive cases skewing the ratio.

But there are probably some other stories to this number too. I picked this location because we know that many of the fatalities have been from a care home cluster, and if I remember properly it was this cluster that raised the alarm that there was community spread in that part of the country in the first place. The ages/medical conditions of people infected there will have had an impact on these numbers.

Because lets not forget, data already sugests that the mortality rate for Covid-19 is strongly related to age. So its to be expected that, if the oldest people become critically ill first, the death rate will start at the higher end. Combine that with the greater chances that more milder cases havent been spotted in the area at the early stages at all, and its no wonder the death rate can be really high at that time and place. What scares me more is how high the actual mortality rate can go when healthcare cant provide intensive care properly for everyone at all anymore in a region :(

Last edited:
I thought this guardian article was interesting. France’s health minister warning that taking ibuprofen may make a covid19 infection worse. I’m sure many people would automatically reach for ibuprofen in the case of aches or fever, so worth publicising widely if this is true.

I doubt the French health minister would be tweeting that unless he was sure of it, so hopefully it gets added to the official UK advice pronto.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom