Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus meme/panic/fear mongering general thread

“I am not about pissing off the French people,” the president said in an interview with readers of Le Parisien daily on Tuesday. “But as for the non-vaccinated, I really want to piss them off. And we will continue to do this, to the end. This is the strategy.”

Macron said, and it was “only a very small minority who are resisting. How do we reduce that minority? We reduce it – sorry for the expression – by pissing them off even more.”

Satire or true, The Onion or The Guardian?

It's fucking true. :D

Satire or true, The Onion or The Guardian?

It's fucking true. :D

Apparently the literal translation is "I want to cover the unvaccinated in shit."

It was Macron’s use of the French verb emmerder that provoked anger among French opposition politicians and a certain amount of surprise among political commentators in France. The verb can be translated on the softer side as “to bug” or “to annoy” but is more commonly translated in English to the informal “to piss off”. Literally the word in French means “to cover in shit” (merde) and is considered vulgar.

Apparently the literal translation is "I want to cover the unvaccinated in shit."

It was Macron’s use of the French verb emmerder that provoked anger among French opposition politicians and a certain amount of surprise among political commentators in France. The verb can be translated on the softer side as “to bug” or “to annoy” but is more commonly translated in English to the informal “to piss off”. Literally the word in French means “to cover in shit” (merde) and is considered vulgar.

It's rather a stark contrast to our politicians, isn't it? :D

I suspect he was aiming to defuse the "yellow vesters" - especially after saying :-
«Un irresponsable n’est plus un citoyen»

«Je ne suis pas pour emmerder les Français. Je peste toute la journée contre l’administration quand elle les bloque. Eh bien, là, les non-vaccinés, j’ai très envie de les emmerder. Et donc, on va continuer de le faire, jusqu’au bout.»

"I rant all day at the administration when it blocks them.

I suspect he was aiming to defuse the "yellow vesters" - especially after saying :-
«Un irresponsable n’est plus un citoyen»

«Je ne suis pas pour emmerder les Français. Je peste toute la journée contre l’administration quand elle les bloque. Eh bien, là, les non-vaccinés, j’ai très envie de les emmerder. Et donc, on va continuer de le faire, jusqu’au bout.»

"I rant all day at the administration when it blocks them.
Can't he be our Prime Minister?

As I said on the other thread, I wonder how Priti Patel would think about this - would she use it against Corbyn's defective brother ?

He's upset parliament.

The French parliament suspended debate on a new Covid law early on Wednesday as opposition lawmakers demanded explanations from President Emmanuel Macron about comments in which he said he wanted to “piss off” unvaccinated people.

Macron made the remark in an interview with Le Parisien newspaper published late on Tuesday. He also said unvaccinated people were “irresponsible” and that he planned to make their lives so complicated that they would end up having a vaccine.

The interview was published shortly before lawmakers were to resume a debate over the new legislation, which will make it mandatory for people to show proof of Covid vaccination to enter a restaurant or cinema, or take the train.

The session was rapidly taken over by discussion of his comments.

“A president cannot say such things,” lawmaker Christian Jacob, who chairs the opposition, conservative Les Republicans party, told parliament. “I’m in favour of the vaccine pass but I cannot back a text whose objective is to ‘piss off’ the French.”

“Is that your objective, yes or no? We cannot keep debating without having a clear answer on that.”

I was just reminded that France has just taken over presidency of the EU council - so maybe it's a nudge in that direction too ...

He's upset parliament.
I think he's only offended certain (right wing) bits of the French Parliament, TBF.

From what I gather, the French are at a bit of a "let's just get it over with" stage with the pandemic (sound familiar?), the difference being that there's quite a lot of support for measures to control it, rather than pretending it isn't happening. They have a thing called the "carte de sante", which is their, ahem, passport to healthcare, so bolting on vaccination conditionality isn't such a big deal for most of them, unless you're a vaccine refuser.

The French govt measures are deeply resented tbf
I am sure they are. Particularly people prone to the anti-vaxx "freedumb" mentality. I suspect that, for most people, it will be at worst a question of principle, and most people who are moderately pragmatic will accept it as a way of managing the pandemic.

But I'm not massively surprised to hear you focusing on the resentment angle, TBF.

I've just had a visit from a couple of friends who live in France (one from Belgium, one from UK originally) and does seem to be true that there's lots of discontent about the vaccine passes, and also plenty of people on the left very vaccine skeptical (if not outright anti-vax) and not very observant of any public health measures.

I've just had a visit from a couple of friends who live in France (one from Belgium, one from UK originally) and does seem to be true that there's lots of discontent about the vaccine passes, and also plenty of people on the left very vaccine skeptical (if not outright anti-vax) and not very observant of any public health measures.
France has always had a fairly major vaccine scepticism problem (probably not entirely unrelated to the fact that things like homeopathy, etc. are available under the national health insurance scheme :hmm:), but that does seem to have shifted quite significantly during the course of the pandemic.

France has always had a fairly major vaccine scepticism problem (probably not entirely unrelated to the fact that things like homeopathy, etc. are available under the national health insurance scheme :hmm:), but that does seem to have shifted quite significantly during the course of the pandemic.

Yeah, we tried to chat about the difference in that between the scene/their peers and wider society but it didn't get very far!

I hadn't noticed quite how far down the rabbithole Mélenchon had gone ...

How do you think this will play in the Présidentielles ?

I hadn't noticed quite how far down the rabbithole Mélenchon had gone ...

How do you think this will play in the Présidentielles ?
I think it'll be the usual thing - one or two loonies will give everyone a bit of a scare in the first round, then the (more) sensible candidate will prevail in the runoffs...

Back
Top Bottom