Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

No LFT's available from the government website.

I have 3 left (not going out all that much so testing once or twice a week at the moment)

No doubt hoarding / stockpiling ready to profiteer will be happening...

The LFT stories are about the future, the story of 2022, and how the government will want to move on in some key ways. But there are limits as to how far they will be confident in going. Their 'back to normal' agenda will run the risk of backfiring if they push too hard, so there may be gradual tweaks rather than the sudden abandonment of big chunks of the testing system. So its no surprise to see that further reductions to the length of self-isolation are now being mentioned, which is a slightly different twist on the 'reduce disruption' agenda. Plus their confidence in proceeding with such things has a seasonal component, ideas will be floated in winter but thats not the season to actually implement them, unless there is an emergency where the self-isolation disruption is deemed to be a bigger risk than the risk of too many hospitalisations. And we did see a bit of that this time, hence the initial changes to self-isolation rules some weeks ago.

Interesting that Omicron seems to have a more rapid cycle of infection and recovery than Delta. Could this be partly driving the reduction in isolation times?

No LFT's available from the government website.

I have 3 left (not going out all that much so testing once or twice a week at the moment)

Sunday is the busiest day for orders. People planning work/school week?
No doubt hoarding / stockpiling ready to profiteer will be happening...

Interesting that Omicron seems to have a more rapid cycle of infection and recovery than Delta. Could this be partly driving the reduction in isolation times?
It could be used to attempt to justify the changes at some point, but its not whats been driving them so far. Desperation in terms of disruption, staff shortages etc is what has provided the impetus so far. They can dress that up in science if they feel the need to, but a high degree of scientific certainty takes longer to establish than has been available for Omicron so far.

This article may contain various things that are of some interest:

However I consider the way it frames the use of lateral flow tests to be quite misleading. It makes it sound like their use was in response to Omicron - it was ramped up then, to the extent that some of the testing figures pretty much doubled, but very large quantities of lateral flow tests were being used in England from March 2021 onwards.

The graph of rapid lateral flow tests conducted in England, which is the 4th one down on the following dashboard page, shows what I'm talking about:

The press are particularly awful for this wave. Today it's all upbeat NHS bosses and how the UK can be pioneers for living with covid. I sometimes feel like I inhabit another dimension. Must be unbelievably frustrating for scientists trying counter this crap with the reality of the situation.

The press are particularly awful for this wave. Today it's all upbeat NHS bosses and how the UK can be pioneers for living with covid. I sometimes feel like I inhabit another dimension. Must be unbelievably frustrating for scientists trying counter this crap with the reality of the situation.
I was ready for this because they were universally pretty bad after the peaks of previous waves too. The got lockdown fatigue first, want to look ahead, get bored of reporting the same old cautious stories and tales of disaster at specific hospitals. And they can always find some professionals to quote who have stupid expectations of the future. And the ones who have a dodgy right-wing agenda are obviously even worse, soiling themselves at the start of waves too.

If people have not had the vaccine it's not hesitant, it's not wanting it.

What exactly are you commenting on, or was it another one line wonder spewing out of your head with no context?

My friend has had a first dose and is health anxious, and that's what's stopping her having the other doses, so really more hesitant than outright not wanting it, but I'll tell her you know better than her and understand all the reasons why millions of people haven't had any or all of the doses.

Its not a constant, its expected to be worse when the testing system is under much greater strain, as are thing such as results taking longer to be reported.

Things like the ONS infection survey provide a better guide, but thats laggy so by the time we hear about its results, the trends are often already clear in other data despite test system limitations.

Even the hospital data is not completely immune to test system limitations, in that case the throughput of testing within the hospitals. However I'd expect the hospital figures to still be a pretty reasonable guide, and there are various peak indicators in those too. That shows up in the admissions data already, although it looks like we arent yet at a point where this filters through into number of people with covid in hospital beds, since those figures are still rising. But not dramatically for England like they were previously.

I see from th BBC live updates page that the sort of vaccine hospitalisation stats I'm always going on about, and the wrong impression that some end up with, came up:

Ofcom will not investigate TV show over inaccurate Covid claim​

Ofcom says it won’t investigate ITV's Lorraine show after Dr Hilary Jones made an inaccurate statement about Covid-19 figures.

The media watchdog received 3,833 complaints after he incorrectly said 90% of the Covid patients in hospital were unvaccinated - a figure that was more applicable to those in intensive care.

The claim was made on 6 December. A clarification was aired two days later.

Ofcom says it has "told ITV that greater care should be taken by trusted medical experts when presenting facts and figures on public health issues".
From 17:24 of the BBC live updates page https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-59934070

90% isnt a good fit with ICU realities either, unless you zoom in in a particular way like Johnson did a while ago, and even that might of been quite far wide of the mark, hard to tell because the detail matters, and the timing.

The graphs are starting to suggest that London might now have peaked in the over-60s as well as in general (this one goes to 5th Jan).
Yes and this is even more apparent when drilling down to each age groups and using each days figures rather than the averages which are quite laggy the way the dashboard does them. Not sure when I will do my graphs, probably soon.

OK this is what cases by specimen date for the London region look like using my simplified age groups. With the usual caveat about recent data being very incomplete.

Uncertainties very much including what happens next in the younger age groups limits my ability to make many forward looking claims at the moment.

Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 18.00.jpg

Last edited:
The difference in timing between age groups is quite different in the London graphs, compared to the England ones.
Reasons likely include the different pictures in different regions pre-Omicron compared to London pre-Omicron, London being ahead with the Omicron wave, plus of course the overall England figures do still include London. And obviously the changes to rules and mood music and the timing of Christmas and New Year were the same everywhere, which made their timing relative to the Omicron wave different in different places. And obviously there are differences in the size of age groups in different places too.

I probably will do the sae graphs for each region individually but whetehr I post them depends on whether they show anything interesting.

In the meantime here are some graphs that may illustrate some of the differences in London before and during Omicron. Started from a lower base and had a much more dramatic spike in cases in some younger age groups, for a mix of reasons including what happened there in previous waves, vaccination rates, initial Omicron seeding, timing of behavioural changes relative to Omicron growth etc.

Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 18.53.jpg

From https://assets.publishing.service.g...9_and_Influenza_Surveillance_Graphs_W1_v2.pdf

Latest leak in regards parties:

One of Boris Johnson’s top officials invited staff to “socially distanced drinks in the No 10 garden” during May of the first lockdown, a leaked email shows.

The email, from Martin Reynolds, the principal private secretary, invited just over 100 employees in No 10 at a time when social mixing was banned apart from with one other person from another household outdoors.

According to ITV News, it said: “Hi all, after what has been an incredibly busy period it would be nice to make the most of the lovely weather and have some socially distanced drinks in the No 10 garden this evening. Please join us from 6pm and bring your own booze!”

I see the BBC did some fact checking of the now infamous doctors claims:

I broadly agree with this bit:

Dominic Wilkinson, a professor of medical ethics, at the University of Oxford, says doctors have a clear ethical duty to be vaccinated but sacking someone who is not but can show they have had a recent infection that may provide similar protection may be unjustifiable.

If the vaccines completely blocked transmission, it would be a much simpler ethical question, he says.

But since they are less effective against new variants, it is "no longer as clear".

What exactly are you commenting on, or was it another one line wonder spewing out of your head with no context?

My friend has had a first dose and is health anxious, and that's what's stopping her having the other doses, so really more hesitant than outright not wanting it, but I'll tell her you know better than her and understand all the reasons why millions of people haven't had any or all of the doses.
I'm not in any way backing what IC3D said :hmm: just above your post here, but in your experience, have you heard many, or any, genuinely "vaccine-hesitant" people outright criticise or condemn conspiracists?? Are they even aware of them even??

Good on 'em if any do condemn, but if I was "vaccine-hesitant", which thank the fuck I'm fucking not sir (bring those jabs the fuck on :D ), I would hate those conspiracy-cunts even more than do us general Urban enemies of them!! :thumbs:

Very much because of all the shite of Dave from Facebok discrediting genuine concerns, although that's by no means all of the reason .... ;)

Generally, I have to work really hard (myself!! :oops: ) to understand and accept actual vaccine-hesitancy stuff, because of all the lamp-post, on-line-post, and White Rose-post anti-vaccine idiocy, and because of their tolerence, even welcoming, of extremism, fascism, etc! :mad:

TBF though, I do wonder whether there might? be a more sympathetic, less suspicion-inducing phrase :hmm: than "vaccine hesitancy", that could be used to make the point easier to get ..... :confused:

Last edited:
In Scotland they are now prepared to start talking about a peak in cases, they are removing the outdoor event restrictions, and their vaccine certification system is going to require boosters in order for people to be classed as fully vaccinated.

And as per the following from the BBC live updates page, they are going to add LFT positives to their official daily case numbers:

Last week, it was announced that people without symptoms who test positive on a lateral flow test will no longer need to have their result confimed by a PCR test.

Ms Sturgeon says this change means the current daily numbers are capturing fewer positive cases than before.

This will lead to changes in how case numbers are reported by Public Health Scotland.

From Thursday, the number will be combined - to include those who test positive either with a PCR or lateral flow test.

This will mean a time lag in reporting case numbers initially, she adds.

But the new way of reporting should allow the trend in cases to be reported more accurately than it is now.

She concludes by urging everyone to make sure they report their lateral flow results - whether positive or negative.

That quote is from 14:37 of the BBC live updates page https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-59940847

Back
Top Bottom