Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

Lambeth not putting up notices to explain what is happening is Lambeth business as usual. They have done this with Brixton Rec. A lot of works going on. No explanation of why places are closed off, Why lifts are not working etc etc.

Its then down to friends groups to put out info or talk to users individually.

Friends groups should not be treated by Lambeth as the default Lambeth information organisations.

It put Friends groups in a difficult position. They get told. So have to explain to general public that what is happening is not there fault.

Its unfair of Lambeth to assume Friends groups will be there to put info out.

It gets to situation where joe public think a particular Friends group is part of the Council.

Which is not a situation one wants to be in.

Which I can sense from reading the statement from this parks Friends group.

IMO part of reason why Lambeth does not directly inform people is that it does not want email addresses to go out where Joe Public can email the Council directly to complain.

Im sure the Council are over joyed that Kennington Friends group have distributed Lambeth Events team email address.
Not too familiar with the park and can't work out which part this is on, hope it isn't on top of this https://www.vauxhallandkennington.org.uk/library/forgottentragedy.pdf

Not too familiar with the park and can't work out which part this is on, hope it isn't on top of this https://www.vauxhallandkennington.org.uk/library/forgottentragedy.pdf
Didn't know about this blitz disaster. Thanks for posting.
Friends of Kennington Park have done good work on the history of the Common/Park. They did some good events to commemorate the anniversary of the 1848 Chartist Rally
[One of FOKP booklets] http://www.kenningtonchartistprojec...ads/2018/06/The_Springtime_of_the_Peoples.pdf

< update on the fashion extravanganza>
the main event is 36 hours away and activity is picking up, the business end of matters has been shrowded in black fabric and a ramp built with sparkly lights which i guess is the grand entrance for the 400. sound system is being tested with predictably cheesy music, not sure of the tune i heard as pompous caterwauling power ballads all sound the same to me...

Last edited:
< update on the fashion extravanganza>

someone has taped a4 printed signs to a sign at the park entrance mentioning parasites and plunderers.
a security man told me anecdotally that some nearby residents, not park users, were notified of the event by lambeth a couple of months back.

last post on kennington parks evening of glamour
took this picture of litter bin that is close to the entrance...

FC9E392B-18C5-4ED0-96A6-9C7ACE82E806.jpeg

its been draped in black cloth for aesthetic reasons
anyone wanting to watch the show its live on twitter...

Last edited:
Who writes this bullshit...

"Burberry’s historical connection with outdoor exploration is reinforced by the show space at Kennington Park, designed by Lee.

Inspired by Burberry tents from the late 19th and early 20th century, the intimate interior evokes a cosiness that provides warmth and protection from the elements."

It was a hire marquee with a blackout lining.

Who writes this bullshit...

"Burberry’s historical connection with outdoor exploration is reinforced by the show space at Kennington Park, designed by Lee.

Inspired by Burberry tents from the late 19th and early 20th century, the intimate interior evokes a cosiness that provides warmth and protection from the elements."

It was a hire marquee with a blackout lining.

i'd be more worried about who believes it.

Not sure if this is the right forum?

Went to the new Southwark Playhouse theatre off Newington Butts. The opening play is pretty good 'Walworth Farce.'
Really impressive theatre in the basement of that new tower block. Having been to Brixton House I'd says this is a better space.
Definitely recommend a visit. Make you go to the right venue as the old venue is still open on Newington Causeway.

Went to the new Southwark Playhouse theatre off Newington Butts. The opening play is pretty good 'Walworth Farce.'
Really impressive theatre in the basement of that new tower block. Having been to Brixton House I'd says this is a better space.
Definitely recommend a visit. Make you go to the right venue as the old venue is still open on Newington Causeway.
I don't think there's an elephant thread, there's a camberwell one in the london section. also This year at the theatre....

Glad you posted. Sounds good - but the seat prices are certainly catching up with inflation! (£28 standard, £22.50 concession)

Is what was 'Mosquito Bar' back open again yet? I liked the fact there was somewhere open until 6am in that area, even if it wasn't great, to put it mildly.

hold up... it's literally right by clapham north tube and a stones throw from the high street...how the hell is it stockwell.
There is a logic. Their postcode is SW9 9BT - which to Royal Mail is Stockwell. As I know being in the SW9 part of Coldharbour Lane. And it says Stockwell on my Co-op Bank statements!
Extra angst for pedants: the phone number for the Clapham North is 0207 274 2472 - which is BRIxton!
Their website confirms the unhappy news BTW An update - Clapham North

Not so bad after all then?
I dont use the pub so it won't affect me, but if a pub local to me turned into a Youngs I wouldn't be too pleased, even if describing the 'Livelyhood' pubco as 'beloved' is clearly ridiculous. In its new incarnation, punters can expect £6.80 pints of Peroni and Estrella, and signs everywhere urging you to book a table for their 'famous Sunday lunch' which costs over £20 and is no better than somewhere like Harvester. Also, having worked for Youngs a couple of times the staff mentioned in the article ought to do themselves a favour and decline any offer of employment from the company, and find a job in a different pub that treats them much better.

the SW9 part of Coldharbour Lane.

...proof that postcodes are not the best way to delineate neighbourhoods.
I dont use the pub so it won't affect me, but if a pub local to me turned into a Youngs I wouldn't be too pleased, even if describing the 'Livelyhood' pubco as 'beloved' is clearly ridiculous. In its new incarnation, punters can expect £6.80 pints of Peroni and Estrella, and signs everywhere urging you to book a table for their 'famous Sunday lunch' which costs over £20 and is no better than somewhere like Harvester. Also, having worked for Youngs a couple of times the staff mentioned in the article ought to do themselves a favour and decline any offer of employment from the company, and find a job in a different pub that treats them much better.
...still better a pub than flats/tesco/both

...proof that postcodes are not the best way to delineate neighbourhoods.

...still better a pub than flats/tesco/both
Oh of course. Not too much danger of that in that specific area though, the pubs seem to do a healthy trade. After all, as the above article states, its one of London's 'coolest neighbourhoods'.

I had vaguely thought the Clapham North was a Youngs pub back in the days when it was the Bedford Arms, and Youngs was still a brewery, but this site suggests Youngs only bought it in 2013 in one of the previous Pubco asset sales. Perhaps the old tiled facade was Truman's which didn't look dissimilar to Young's "improved" public houses rebuilt in the inter-war era?

Last edited:
on Flickr today - probably a Sunday in the mid 50s - a photo with a bus in, rather then the usual close-up of a bus...

I was thinking that when I moved to that area in the mid 80s, it looked much more like that than it does today.

THEN I realised that that's because it is closer to when I moved there!

<scuttles off to find Things That Make You Feel Really Really Old thread>

Good photo tho'.

Back
Top Bottom