Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

wow. guessing there's some poetic licence from mylondon and the clapham bid want some more money/help, but doesn't sound good.
was always a bit lively but was more drunken poshos being sick rather than serious violence.

wow. guessing there's some poetic licence from mylondon and the clapham bid want some more money/help, but doesn't sound good.
was always a bit lively but was more drunken poshos being sick rather than serious violence.

Looks like the article was based on testimony to the council recently, I might check out their website to see if they have more details later.

Reactions: CH1
You would have thought that with thousands of flats being thrown up in nearby Nine Elms there would be a demand for things like schools.

...don't think them residents plan on hanging around to raise kids tbh.
...in other news i am hearing from the street of another prominent school closure.
unsubstantiated rumour but if true this one stinks to high hell and deeply shocking for peeps that know...

...don't think them residents plan on hanging around to raise kids tbh.
...in other news i am hearing from the street of another prominent school closure.
unsubstantiated rumour but if true this one stinks to high hell and deeply shocking for peeps that know...
If it's the one located in Tulse Hill. Yes, I think it's true.

If it’s st Martin in the fields - when we were looking at potential secondary schools just over three years ago it was substantially under capacity then. Surprised me as we liked it and does well in terms of academic results

If it’s st Martin in the fields - when we were looking at potential secondary schools just over three years ago it was substantially under capacity then. Surprised me as we liked it and does well in terms of academic results
It is.

The falling roles issue has been coming up a bit recently. I recall now ex councillor Tim in Clapham writing a leaflet about local schools shutting last year

PRIME piece of land. It's probably got all sorts of Church covenants protecting it.
The Archbishop of Canterbury is always keen on social initiatives - such as food banks and credit unions run in churches.
So how about running an asylum seeker refuge in an unwanted school?
Oval must be one of the UK places least likely to object.

Meanwhile it would take the heat off the Bishop of Southwark, currently in a clerical cat-fight:

When are they closing? ATS closes this summer, students decanted elsewhere.

i will miss some of the after school shenanigans from the ATS kids, one night they let off green smoke flares that engulfed the bottom end of brixton road, another time there was a duel in kennington park between two lads that was like something out of laurel and hardy.

Reactions: CH1
Article in Guardian about state school closures.

Its happening across central London. Due to less children. Boroughs on edge of London are getting increase in children.

He says this is due to the "hollowing" out of London.

Central London is becoming unaffordable. The new shiny flats are not leading to increase in children for state schools.

Cycling through Nine Elms new developments near American Embassy and despite all the new flats it feels a dead zone.

Closing of central London schools is a sign of what central London has become. A playground for developers and the rich.

See it around the Tate Modern. Once that went up developers fell over themselves to build flats. I like the Tate Modern but I am increasingly disliking the area around it.

The Tate took a risk to set up the Tate Modern. Once it succeeded the developer moved in to cash out on it. Developers are a form of parasite.

PRIME piece of land. It's probably got all sorts of Church covenants protecting it.
I suspect the only covenants would be if whoever sold/gave the land when the church moved to Oval in 1920s imposed any. I don't think the school site is part of the former garden of St Mark's vicarage.

So probably only subject to charitable restrictions that proceeds of sale may only be used for other church school building projects within the Diocese?

See it around the Tate Modern. Once that went up developers fell over themselves to build flats. I like the Tate Modern but I am increasingly disliking the area around it.

The Tate took a risk to set up the Tate Modern. Once it succeeded the developer moved in to cash out on it. Developers are a form of parasite.
took a risk putting a museum and tourist attraction slap bang on the river opposite St Pauls/The City and between two major train stations? it wasn't exactly a backwater.

Back
Top Bottom