Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

took a risk putting a museum and tourist attraction slap bang on the river opposite St Pauls/The City and between two major train stations? it wasn't exactly a backwater.

When I was first in London it was decaying warehouses and the empty power station. Mainly offices nearby.

South side of river was different from the City the other side. Which goes back years

Warehouse were so cheap back then that artists like Derek Jarman used them.

It was not until Tate came that it all changed.

Personally Id say it was an achievement to turn old power station into public museum. Much better than what has happened in Battersea. It works well as a gallery space.

My issue is the developers piggy back on public not for profit investment in an area.

People end up being pushed out.

sure but I'd buy that more readily if we were talking Battersea or even Clapham, which I agree weren't the same back in 2000, but not so much the precise Tate Modern site.

agree with you it's a great space.

Article in Guardian about state school closures.

See it around the Tate Modern. Once that went up developers fell over themselves to build flats. I like the Tate Modern but I am increasingly disliking the area around it.
The Tate took a risk to set up the Tate Modern. Once it succeeded the developer moved in to cash out on it. Developers are a form of parasite.
Re the Tate's litigious neighbours in their new flats - who is paying the legal costs of the gallery, and who will pay for it to screen the viewing platform to avoid the overlooking caused by the design of the adjacent flats built because of attractions of being next to the Tate Modern?

Oh dear. Awful way to go.

Can't say that I remember ever meeting him though, but then that's true for me for most councillors so no slight on him intended

Reactions: CH1
Looking at Twitter it doesn't look like much has happened with the by-election as yet, well aside from it being called presumably by people acting on instructions from Labour at the town hall.

No sign of nominees on the Labour or Green accounts, or Tories. LDs have tweeted about nominating someone today

Do Police not bother giving descriptions of dangerous criminals at large anymore? This guy beats up a mother and 2 kids in the middle of a street, chucks a load of acid around, evades and injures Police and runs off into the night- it might be worth letting people know what this nutter looks like so they can avoid him and alert those looking for him.

My immediate assumption was that he knows the victims.

from above:

"It was reported that a man had thrown a child to the ground and that a substance - which we now know to be alkaline - had been thrown. The man attempted to make off in a car but collided with a stationary vehicle, and then made off on foot, in the direction of Clapham Common.

"We believe the man and woman are known to each other. Our investigation is in its early stages and we are working to establish why this awful incident has happened.

Do Police not bother giving descriptions of dangerous criminals at large anymore? This guy beats up a mother and 2 kids in the middle of a street, chucks a load of acid around, evades and injures Police and runs off into the night- it might be worth letting people know what this nutter looks like so they can avoid him and alert those looking for him.

Particularly as it's probably* the father so they'll have a photo.

(*may not be, innocent until proven guilty etc)

“I also urge local people and drivers to check their doorbell and dash cameras for any footage that might have captured a man fleeing the area”

But we won’t tell you what he looks like!

Back
Top Bottom