Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

I'm sure you're as disappointed as I am with the titter-ye-not remarks, but anyone who takes on this job gets my admiration.

And if anyone's genuinely interested, this is where the area is Where To Queer, the collaborative website for gay people to share and discover top gay spots from around the world | Clapham Common gay cruising area | London
Can't resist adding my take on this. Ed's web reference is "highly responsible", but this is more transactional
and for a more pictorial approach, here's the way in via Google Maps
------------removed by request------------
[doubt any queerbashers are intelligent to read Urban75 btw - most readers seems to be married couples of a certain age.
I suppose even they might be tempted to try a bit of "dogging" however - it has been known]

EDITED

Last edited:
If you know, you know.
so it would appear, in fact thanks to helpful posts by editor and CH1 i do know of the place
wasnt aware however that it was semi officially designated or listed on the www.
i used to have to keep my dog away because she was inclined to roll in human waste
which was quite thick on the ground in there, not suggesting ths was related to sex activity tho'
im glad there is a potential clean team on the firm, its not a job id like
fwiw there was also a short lived sex camp with tents in a secluded bit of kennington park
it was mostly used by a post club crowd at weekends i was reliably informed...

Last edited:
so it would appear, in fact thanks to helpful posts by editor and CH1 i do know of the place
wasnt aware however that it was semi officially designated or listed on the www.
i used to have to keep my dog away because she was inclined to roll in human waste
which was quite thick on the ground in there, not suggesting ths was related to sex activity tho'
fwiw there was also a short lived sex camp with tents in a secluded bit of kennington park
Once took a group of kids from a Brixton catholic school there at the end of a week of cycle training for some fun off road cycling, they couldn't understand why there where so many bolloons discarded in the undergrowth. Little did they know.

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge especially after this made the headlines

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge especially after this made the headlines

i wouldve been aware of the 'sex areas' rep well before ron davies came a cropper, i was living by the common in 1990, its rep was not a problem to me or people i knew i was just surprised it has become semi formalised listed on the web and in need of a clean up squad, tbh im surprised its still popuar given advances in technology and more open venues generally, especially given the personal risk involved...

I'm sure you're as disappointed as I am with the titter-ye-not remarks, but anyone who takes on this job gets my admiration.
Shhh! dont tell everyone, it definitelty doesn't need advertising. I find it very hard to believe that people don't know that gay men go cruising on the common (and lots of other outside areas)

Before the internet there used to be listings in guide books - I would have thought open air cruising along with cottaging (sex in public toilets) would have gone out of fashion or died out by now - But there are far fewer saunas and sex clubs clubs these days. At least the safer sex message has worked. I don't care what fucking men do fucking - just wished they would take their fucking rubbish away or bin it.

For some people, that's the attraction.
yeah, friend of mine got turned over on a. random hook up in soho recently, successful guy in his 70, generous lovely guy lost a big fat rolex watch gold jewellry, phone, some teeth, also a couple of broken ribs, the shock/shame nearly finished him tbh had to leave town for a quieter life..

Last edited:
im surprised its still popuar given advances in technology and more open venues generally, especially given the personal risk involved...
Apparently it was waning in popularity before covid, but regained popularity with a new generation during lock down.

We were reminded of the risk as part of Hate Crime Awareness week last week, remembering this anniversary on the 15th October: Murder of Jody Dobrowski - Wikipedia

editor and CH1 I know its common knowleage and those who want to find it will.

But have a care in attracting more fucking punters or indeed more haters on this open thread. Particulary as neither will be helpful helpful in recruiting volunteers to clean up.

As a favour to me please take down explicit instructions on find the place.

But have a care in attracting more fucking punters or indeed more haters on this open thread. Particulary as neither will be helpful helpful in recruiting volunteers to clean up.

You really think that the posts here are likely to make the slightest bit of difference at all?

Honestly, I think you're being ridiculous, but to keep you happy I'll take my post down.

yeah, friend of mine got turned over on a. random hook up in soho recently, successful guy in his 70, generous lovely guy lost a big fat rolex watch gold jewellry, phone, some teeth, also a couple of broken ribs, the shock/shame nearly finished him tbh had to leave town for a quieter life..
I was told off by a Police Woman up there about 1986 -"Why don't you stay home with your boyfriend?" she asked
That was when the police were simultaneously ramping up patrols and arrests and also liaising with "the gay community".
Funnily enough the Liaison Officer was one Clive Driscoll Hero Stephen Lawrence detective 'forced to retire' after killers were convicted
Well thought of in respect of the Stephen Lawrence inquiry, but a stawlart of operation Yewtree apparently, so Haarvey Proctor might disagree.

Oh - what I meant to say was this - you can get turned over inviting strange men into your own home.
Maybe that is the whole story of your friend, if he had to move.

I was told off by a Police Woman up there about 1986 -"Why don't you stay home with your boyfriend?" she asked
That was when the police were simultaneously ramping up patrols and arrests and also liaising with "the gay community".
Funnily enough the Liaison Officer was one Clive Driscoll Hero Stephen Lawrence detective 'forced to retire' after killers were convicted
Well thought of in respect of the Stephen Lawrence inquiry, but a stawlart of operation Yewtree apparently, so Haarvey Proctor might disagree.
Policing of the common is quite different now. Last week the local plod was keen to convey that they want people using the area to be safe and report hate/ haressment / abuse .
But I think they have a long way to go before anyone will trust them.

Neither Police nor council nor locals are complaining about consensual activity between adults after dark. The only complaints are about the rubbish left behind.

You can report an homophobic incident, to the police or:
Report the hate crime via Lambeth.gov.uk
Find help and support via Galop.org.uk and their
Galop LGBTQ+ hate crime helpline at 020 7704 2040
Metro Charity's LGBTQ+ help, support and reporting service at safer@metrocharity.org.uk or on 020 8305 5003
Victim Support website at victimsupport.org.uk.

Policing of the common is quite different now. Last week the local plod was keen to convey that they want people using the area to be safe and report hate/ haressment / abuse .
But I think they have a long way to go before anyone will trust them.

Neither Police nor council nor locals are complaining about consensual activity between adults after dark. The only complaints are about the rubbish left behind.

You can report an homophobic incident, to the police or:
Report the hate crime via Lambeth.gov.uk
Find help and support via Galop.org.uk and their
Galop LGBTQ+ hate crime helpline at 020 7704 2040
Metro Charity's LGBTQ+ help, support and reporting service at safer@metrocharity.org.uk or on 020 8305 5003
Victim Support website at victimsupport.org.uk.
Thanks for posting up these links - I'll make a feature on Brixton Buzz to help anyone wanting to make a complaint.
Are there any other numbers worth including?

almost half of kennington park is fenced off while an event build is underway.....

CC664266-D324-444A-AA31-F5D8BBEF7FC2.jpegmB371A942-13DE-451B-AE7E-79BC8180A91C.jpeg

this all happened with no notice to park users or residents
friends of kennington park issued this statement....

4A553F75-2495-44AC-899D-44A5438D50BA.jpeg

so nearly half of the park is out of use for 3 weeks for an elite one night fashion show.
must be the zone 1 effect.....

almost half of kennington park is fenced off while an event build is underway.....

View attachment 362328mView attachment 362329

View attachment 362372

so nearly half of the park is out of use for 3 weeks for an elite one night fashion show.

I walked past there on Sunday and they were installing large generators. Guess all those lights and champagne fridges need juice

I walked past there on Sunday and they were installing large generators. Guess all those lights and champagne fridges need juice

some big space heaters arrived yesterday.
kind of amazed at the amount of effort and dosh being pumped into this.
...the alleged dealers and drinkers have even been moved on.

Last edited:
some big space heaters arrived yesterday.
kind of amazed at the amount of effort and dosh being pumped into this.
...the alleged dealers and drinkers have even been moved on.

I thought it could not be a one off event when I walked past, given all the large generators but I guess that would do it

some more pics of the temporary structures forming the fa-shun complex, the main event is still over a week away.....
( a rumour is now circulating saying the whole event down to a clerical error by LFW who thought it was kensington 😀)

B3F6B51E-0F89-4853-9B0C-626E2E64FFB5.jpeg6BAC6AB2-BDCA-49D3-ADE5-F2E8F742DD6A.jpeg

Last edited:
My guess is - given the massive scale of the tentage in Kennington Park - is that the one-night only event is likely to be the much hyped relaunch of Burberry under their new creative director Daniel Lee
you might be getting warm, burburry has been named, but others are saying they've pulled out, yesterday however a very elegant lady rocked up head to foot in burberry with a basset hound and a couple of minders which is not in anyway usual in k.park...

View attachment 362328mView attachment 362329

View attachment 362372

Lambeth not putting up notices to explain what is happening is Lambeth business as usual. They have done this with Brixton Rec. A lot of works going on. No explanation of why places are closed off, Why lifts are not working etc etc.

Its then down to friends groups to put out info or talk to users individually.

Friends groups should not be treated by Lambeth as the default Lambeth information organisations.

It put Friends groups in a difficult position. They get told. So have to explain to general public that what is happening is not there fault.

Its unfair of Lambeth to assume Friends groups will be there to put info out.

It gets to situation where joe public think a particular Friends group is part of the Council.

Which is not a situation one wants to be in.

Which I can sense from reading the statement from this parks Friends group.

IMO part of reason why Lambeth does not directly inform people is that it does not want email addresses to go out where Joe Public can email the Council directly to complain.

Im sure the Council are over joyed that Kennington Friends group have distributed Lambeth Events team email address.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom