Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

A big day for Kennington as the Northern Line extension opens to passengers....

This shows all that is wrong with how the present economic system works.

Its not about building an inclusive community. The main people to benefit from this state investment are landlords and those who buy and sell property as an investment.

That is the parasite class. Feeding off the workers.

This shows all that is wrong with how the present economic system works.

Its not about building an inclusive community. The main people to benefit from this state investment are landlords and those who buy and sell property as an investment.

That is the parasite class. Feeding off the workers.

...in my defence I will say that the ES property puff piece was added facetiously, although I have met people in Kennington who are rubbing their sweaty palms together at the prospect of a combined Vauxhall/elephant/nine elms equity boost.

cool. Anyone seen the stations?

Yes, just this morning. Well, Battersea at least.

Big, new and shiny, like the Jubilee line stations.

Loads of people wandering around for a look, like myself.

Kennington hasn't really had much done as yet so far as signage. I saw one sign inside the station proper that said Platform 2 was the one to use. The rest haven't been altered.

Kennington hasn't really had much done as yet so far as signage. I saw one sign inside the station proper that said Platform 2 was the one to use. The rest haven't been altered.

according to the rumour mill a new station is planned for Kennington where the former telephone exchange now stands....

have they got the safety doors like jubilee extension?

I wonder how much use these stations will get, Nine Elms in particular. I have a mate who is housed in one of the new builds in Nine Elms (through one of the 'poor doors' at the back), and walking around the place is still a ghost town, despite thousands of flats apparently surrounding his. The only notable presence is the smattering of social tenants in his block and the permanent sentry of Police with machine guns outside the U.S embassy.

Interesting also how these new stations were plonked in Zone 1, when im sure others nearby were in Zone 2 before they existed. This should help in the glossy brochures promising 'Zone 1 living' for a 1 bed flat on sale at £750,000. The whole Nine Elms development in an absolute disgrace when this city has an increasingly desperate housing crisis, yet these gleaming apartments only for the rich that are barely lived in were given the nod over housing our own people in need.

I wonder how much use these stations will get, Nine Elms in particular. I have a mate who is housed in one of the new builds in Nine Elms (through one of the 'poor doors' at the back), and walking around the place is still a ghost town, despite thousands of flats apparently surrounding his. The only notable presence is the smattering of social tenants in his block and the permanent sentry of Police with machine guns outside the U.S embassy.

Interesting also how these new stations were plonked in Zone 1, when im sure others nearby were in Zone 2 before they existed. This should help in the glossy brochures promising 'Zone 1 living' for a 1 bed flat on sale at £750,000. The whole Nine Elms development in an absolute disgrace when this city has an increasingly desperate housing crisis, yet these gleaming apartments only for the rich that are barely lived in were given the nod over housing our own people in need.
I went past Nine Elms station this morning. It's a bit of an odd one. The main entrance is on Wandsworth Road and it's quite disconnected from the new Nine Elms developments that are beyond the railway viaduct. Lots of people who live within a ten-minute walk will also be in range of Vauxhall and Stockwell - which will have a more frequent service to arguably more useful destinations.

And the zoning is definitely illogical. Both the new stations are fully in Zone 1, while being further south and further west than Vauxhall, on the Z1/Z2 boundary.

'Enthusiasts' came from far and wide to be on the first train. There was a 'party atmosphere'.

"Fraser Hay, 17, who travelled from Brighton last night and was on the 5.28am first train from Battersea, said he had been outside the station since 1.30am. “I felt it was an important milestone being on the first train on a brand new line,” he said.
If it was that important, Fraser, you'd better put it on your CV. You already have? Of course you have.

View attachment 289841

Fuck, what a bunch of sad, sad, sad cunts. If I were in charge of new Underground lines, I would approve one that took the shape of a cock, just to see those people's heads explode :D

the distortion of the tube map is not just a graphic design atrocity but a deliberate attempt to fuck with established psychogeography......

THE PETITION SIGNATURES GOAL IS IN SIGHT - SAVE THE CINEMA MUSEUM!

The Cinema Museum nears the end game in its fight for survival.

We intend to deliver our 'Save the Cinema Museum' petition to our landlords tomorrow, November the 5th, Bonfire Night!

This will trigger the launch of the big final fight - we intend on smashing previous targets and obtaining as many signatures as we possibly can in just under 24hrs. Can our goal be achieved? Of course it can, but we need just a little bit more of your amazing efforts!,

Please assist by giving one last monumental shove in the right direction, via adding your much sought-after signature to the petition and sharing the following link as widely as you can; https://tinyurl.com/y9jgubrv .

We're already past 60,500 signatures, who knows what the final numbers will be?

With love, thanks and best wishes from the trustees and all the volunteers at The Cinema Muse

That’s bad news for whoever was selling them

not sure what the mark up is on a tree but Kennington Park Cafe has done ok this year
judging by the number of empty pizza boxes and coffee cups during the semi lockdown period and beyond

They look far better growing in a field with their friends and helping the environment to boot that sitting in a living room for a few days, slowly dying. 😟

Back
Top Bottom