Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

Clapham Common Sunday:

Clapham Common on a winter afternoon: busy crowds, frozen pond and grey skies - photos

Clapham Common on a winter afternoon: busy crowds, frozen pond and grey skies - photos

doesnt say who made the application....wonder how many residents know this forum even exists, I didn’t.

edit, further reading shows the forum made the application themselves and there is a list of the members 21 names, doesnt look very democratic

!
It’s as democratic as any of these type of local groups, and it’s kept relevant by all the TRAs etc that feed into it. I haven’t been to a meeting for years but it always used to have quite broad participation and some real experts when it came to challenge the developers or council over local planning issues come up and they are always very effective at hosting consultation events and collating and presenting resident concerns. A glance at an old newsletter gives some idea of what they do https://32c27afa-5249-42d9-bce5-b3d...d/16e5aa_12de4f61a2ed49a2b91914a5c7fdb300.pdf

It’s as democratic as any of these type of local groups, and it’s kept relevant by all the TRAs etc that feed into it. I haven’t been to a meeting for years but it always used to have quite broad participation and some real experts when it came to challenge the developers or council over local planning issues come up and they are always very effective at hosting consultation events and collating and presenting resident concerns. A glance at an old newsletter gives some idea of what they do https://32c27afa-5249-42d9-bce5-b3d...d/16e5aa_12de4f61a2ed49a2b91914a5c7fdb300.pdf

....thanks for the clarification.

online petition to refurb Kennington Park skate bowl which is currently fenced off and badly in need of some tlc

View attachment 249919

some history

Buzzed and shared. I never knew it existed!

nice one editor , the bowl is at the end of the park closest to Kennington tube by the Kennington park road gate, apart from the fact it is unusable for skating it has been made home by an army of rats whose tunnelling is probably not helping its condition, also some have theorised the tunnelling for the northern line extension has not helped either. A month or so back a woman lost her dog under the bowl for over an hour when he decided to go ratting under the concrete, the rats are commonly seen along the Kennington park road boundary fence.

Last edited:
Thanks! Sounds like a right mess.

I see also that Vauxhall Park is also in the news - the FoVP twitter account seems to think people are spreading rumours access is going to be restricted to certain residents, which it denies, as it is Lambeth Borough property.

Three members of Stockwell Six cleared after nearly 50 years

"Three innocent black men who were jailed nearly 50 years ago over a corrupt police officer’s claims they tried to rob him have had their convictions overturned by the court of appeal.
Courtney Harriot, Paul Green and Cleveland Davidson, all aged between 17 and 20 at the time, were arrested on the tube in London while travelling from Stockwell station in February 1972.
The trio, now in their late 60s, and three friends – who became known as the Stockwell Six – were put on trial at the Old Bailey, largely on the word of British Transport Police (BTP) officer DS Derek Ridgewell, whom the force now recognises as discredited."

My mate used to live very close to that parade and that Londis seemed to be the only thing left. It must be bleak having no local shop.

Last edited:
One mans Clapham dream becomes a nightmare.....

Many young people have made Clapham their home, and its awash with reasons why, but this migration has stripped the area of London's rich variety......When I walk into a pub I like to see it kicking with people from all walks of life, old and young, rich and poor, but I feel that Clapham struggles to give you that experience.

......Brixton peeps stop your sniggering cos it’s coming this way fast.

Strange article. I got the impression he was trying to say that all these nice pubs, places to eat and parks were full of white, comfortably well off middle class types who in the week like to talk about their fabulous jobs and at the weekends like going for bottomless brunch and watching rugby, but just didn't have the bollocks to do so. Surely he had the sense to walk a mile up the road to Brixton where he may have had better luck finding the 'all walks of life' and 'oomph' that Clapham lacks?

I've been saying Wandsworth has been losing its rich diversity for years. It's becoming more of a place for white, middle class professionals than ever. Anyone else is being pushed out by the extreme prices or not being able to afford to move there.

I've been saying Wandsworth has been losing its rich diversity for years. It's becoming more of a place for white, middle class professionals than ever. Anyone else is being pushed out by the extreme prices or not being able to afford to move there.
Yes, I can see what the writer of that article meant, but he's a bit behind the times as Clapham (and Wandsworth) has been like that for at least 10, if not 20 years.

Yes, I can see what the writer of that article meant, but he's a bit behind the times as Clapham (and Wandsworth) has been like that for at least 10, if not 20 years.

Some of these issues were previously alluded to some years ago:

Riot Recovery: Why Clapham Junction Remains Divided Three Years On

Additionally, it was also previously pointed out that some of the area's current residents appear not to consider Africans to be human beings.

Strange article. I got the impression he was trying to say that all these nice pubs, places to eat and parks were full of white, comfortably well off middle class types who in the week like to talk about their fabulous jobs and at the weekends like going for bottomless brunch and watching rugby, but just didn't have the bollocks to do so. Surely he had the sense to walk a mile up the road to Brixton where he may have had better luck finding the 'all walks of life' and 'oomph' that Clapham lacks?

...al the above quotes are true but what I find interesting is that the guy has the funds and credentials to live in clapham and loves the estate agent advertorial lifestyle but can’t connect because he feels too old.....

I got talking to Chris Huhne and his daughter at a coffee shop in Herne Hill the other day. Wiki says he lives in Clapham.

maybe he was seeking an escape from all the young people......

Back
Top Bottom