Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

Stockwell's secret duck pond!

In photos: Stockwell's secret duck pond in the middle of a council estate, south London

Clapham Ghostsigns (virtual) Walk - Sun 6th Sept at 14:30 - part of the Lambeth Heritage Festival 2020. This was originally made as a real walking tour for the 2019 festival and the Clapham Society by Sam (Mr Ghostsigns) Roberts with some help from me. Sam did an online version of the tour a few weeks ago, but this one will be lead by Alyson Wilson of the Clapham Society. You'll need to book for the tour which I think will take place via Zoom.

Booking and a bit more info here: Love Lambeth

No shortage of takers willing to queue up for a £4 slice of pizza and a £6 pint on a cold winters night during a pandemic, to be presumably consumed in the street.

I would have gone directly across the street and bought a large bottle of beer from Waitrose for 1/3 of the price, if that way inclined.

20201119_183526.jpg

is that on Clapham High Street?

If so, ive not been in that building, is it big? I have always been puzzled why spoons havent got a large pub in Brixton or Clapham high street, given the late night economy. The Brixton one is too small, and can only accommodate drinkers really. No good for people wanting a bite to eat before the Academy for example.

is that on Clapham High Street?

If so, ive not been in that building, is it big? I have always been puzzled why spoons havent got a large pub in Brixton or Clapham high street, given the late night economy. The Brixton one is too small, and can only accommodate drinkers really. No good for people wanting a bite to eat before the Academy for example.
It's at 95-97 Clapham High St, SW4 7TB

Of course, I trust the good people of this thread would never grace either a Spoons or Revolutions so its all by-the-by.
The only time I've been in a 'spoons in the last ten years was once when I was desperate for a piss. And I've never been in a Revolution.

Of course, I trust the good people of this thread would never grace either a Spoons or Revolutions so its all by-the-by.

my daughter [18] and her friends are big fans of spoons in Streatham. Cheap alcohol and a garden. They were going to the Albert pre covid but one of the guys was banned for smoking an exotic ciggie in the garden. I tried to point out the bad things about spoons but at the end of the day limited funds means limited choice. I have a soft spot for the fox on the hill but mostly cos of the view over town.

my daughter [18] and her friends are big fans of spoons in Streatham. Cheap alcohol and a garden. They were going to the Albert pre covid but one of the guys was banned for smoking an exotic ciggie in the garden. I tried to point out the bad things about spoons but at the end of the day limited funds means limited choice. I have a soft spot for the fox on the hill but mostly cos of the view over town.

He must have got quite unlucky with that ban! :hmm:

The Streatham spoons is decent though, one of the cheaper ones about and indeed a nice enough garden out the back, which is rare for a London spoons. Annoys me though that much of the tables outside are designated non smoking (exotic and non exotic ciggies), and the staff seem to enforce. Great how we now cant smoke inside or outside :rolleyes:

I am not quite sure what they are, but there is a large space underground, beneath Carey Gardens in SW8. There is lots if housing over them now and I believe they were used to store munitions during the war. As far as i know, the space still exists but cant find out anything about them.
Pub news:

View attachment 240078

[Pic by Paul Griffin]
The Latchmere Pub on the opposite corner has a superb horseshoe bar sadly run by Nicholsons and quite pricey.
It always has a good selection of beers though.

Dropping by for this. On the borders on Wandsworth and Lambeth on the edge of the Patmorein SW8 is Carey Gardens.
There are tunnels/cellars underneath them which have been locked up for donkeys years. It was rumoured they were used to store munitions.
I don't suppose anyone knows anything about them?

Dropping by for this. On the borders on Wandsworth and Lambeth on the edge of the Patmore in SW8 is Carey Gardens.
There are tunnels/cellars underneath them which have been locked up for donkeys years. It was rumoured they were used to store munitions.
I don't suppose anyone knows anything about them?
Carey Gardens was built in the early 1970s as a cleared site. Only thing I can think of is service tunnels for former district heating - I think it was one of the estates converted to individual boilers about 20 years ago?
Spectacle blog from 2018 Carey Gardens design

However, there was previously a "projectile" factory on the Stewarts Road site.
Projectile Engineering Company on Wandsworth 1914-18 site
Perhaps folk memory of that being demolished?Carey Gardens.PNG

Back
Top Bottom