Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

chilean miners - big up, nuff respect..

And I DO think (Johnny Cannuck) that there should be live media for events - and yes we should have covered the Kursk. We are all human beings, we invented TV and all of that - why should we not watch each other and debate what comes up? Even 'Is this worth debating?' If you don't find it interesting, watch something else, obviously.

I fully agree that there should be media coverage. It's a heartwarming human interest story. In fact, I think that the initial media attention might have saved these men's lives. But imo, a five minute update every hour when they haul up another miner would be totally sufficient. Nothing else of import that I want or need to know about is happening in the other fifty minutes of coverage. The wall to wall coverage is happening only because it's what news networks know how to do best, and it's in the best interests of the Chilean govt and politicians. And millions of us have bought into that.

Well fine but I dont agree. I am not watching all day long but if other people want to, fine. Why not have it in the background or catch up on the highlights? Anyway it doesnt matter to me if you dont want to watch it, neither do I, but I am glad its happening. As for the political angle, I dont care about that, we know politics has a long way to go, I personally dont wiah to go with that thought process because I get upset about it. You may feel differently, so I'll watch for your posts as ever. ;)

Speaking of which, CNN was carrying a particularly lame illustration about the rescue on its website :D

nr.hart.chile.miners.cnn.640x360.jpg

That illustration isn't accurate. The real tube rocket has a chilean flag painted on it.:)

Stop acting like a nob, you should be grateful to see such a world event orcuring! It will be over next week, you get the chance to be part of the world feeling as it evolves!

I doubt that, there'll be at least one film to come. ;)

Alright. Alright. You've exhausted that joke now. :mad:

:D

I recall making a trip across the border years ago. In the days before, a large hurricane was heading for landfall in the Gulf, but it wasn't certain if it would hit Texas or Mexico. It hit on the day I went to the US. In Canada, the news headlines were 'Major Hurricane Hits Mexico: Many People Killed"

I then crossed the border, and in the US the headlines read: "Hurricane Misses Texas" :D

Stop acting like a nob, you should be grateful to see such a world event orcuring! It will be over next week, you get the chance to be part of the world feeling as it evolves!

I'm really happy that the miners are being rescued. What fascinates and perplexes me is watching the media manipulation of the rest of the world.

I fully agree that there should be media coverage. It's a heartwarming human interest story. In fact, I think that the initial media attention might have saved these men's lives. But imo, a five minute update every hour when they haul up another miner would be totally sufficient. Nothing else of import that I want or need to know about is happening in the other fifty minutes of coverage. The wall to wall coverage is happening only because it's what news networks know how to do best, and it's in the best interests of the Chilean govt and politicians. And millions of us have bought into that.
You mean, because Chileans are just too barbaric to do it otherwise? It had to come to the attention of North America before anything got done? :rolleyes:

How much media attention in the 17 days before they were located Johnny? Was it just luck that they were found.

You are fucking unbelievable sometimes. You hypocritical cunt.

You mean, because Chileans are just too barbaric to do it otherwise? It had to come to the attention of North America before anything got done? :rolleyes:

Not North America - the world. You'll recall that in the beginning, once they actually found the miners, they were told that it would be many months before they could be rescued. I think media attention played a role in speeding up the operation.

It does seem to be a big spectacle. It's not even about the reality of the situation, which even after watching lots of footage I wouldn't admit to knowing anything about. It's just the way it's presented. Weird.

has the guy who got busted having a 10 year affair come up yet?

Not sure which one that is, but the one that's had a mistress for 5 years who met his wife at the site is next after the current one. His wife has refused to be there after he invited both the wife and mistress to be there for his rescue

Well the one that's just been pulled up was the one who was complaining about how the psychologists were treating them. Maybe the psychologist had told him he was to wear his hard hat at all times and that's what pissed him off?

From what I heard the psychologists wouldn't let them have any fags at first, then wouldn't let them have any booze (I think they may have stuck with that) and threatened to switch off the TV when they didn't want to talk to them. Some of them are going to get a right slap soon. :D

I know british people swear a lot, but your constant throwing about of 'cunt' is grating sometimes. I've read that visitors to your country find it shocking and disgusting, as well.

I'm afraid that's your problem, not ours. If I was visiting your culture, I'd respect your rules. As I do on another BB that bans personal abuse (apparently it's OK to refer to working-class kids collectively as "feral scum" but it's not OK to call the person who says that an arsehole :confused:).

Some of them are going to get a right slap soon. :D

I reckon one of the miners is going to get a slap and a divorce. The next one up, but his wife's not going to be there. His mistress is, but I'm sure the wife will catch up with him :D

Oh yeah, the 'biggie' in the 'psychologist beef league' is that apparently the psychs were screening the letters they were writing to their families (probably in case they were suicidal or summink) and a load got held back for ages. Cue one wife who gets to speaking to hubbie on the phone, asks 'why have you stopped writing?' and it all comes out.

This is all gossip and I have nothing to back it up but I bet most of it turns out to be right,.

How many feet have they found?

Just imagine the Live Feed coverage for that story! Three years and counting!

What I have trouble with with these kinds of things, is the relationship of people to television/media. We know that tv delivers a product. The product is us, delivered to advertisers. The honeytrap that collects the product, is the programming.

The networks have brought us to a place where they can keep our butts in seats, watching tv for 24 hours straight, complete with hours of advertising, in order to see a chilean miner brought out of the ground every hour.

Our subjugation is complete. :D

Just imagine the Live Feed coverage for that story! Three years and counting!

What I have trouble with with these kinds of things, is the relationship of people to television/media. We know that tv delivers a product. The product is us, delivered to advertisers. The honeytrap that collects the product, is the programming.

The networks have brought us to a place where they can keep our butts in seats, watching tv for 24 hours straight, complete with hours of advertising, in order to see a chilean miner brought out of the ground every hour.

Our subjugation is complete. :D

I don't think it's all bad. One of the plus points is that its a quick and dirty way of bonding together a culture that shares no common language, religion, or ethnic background.

I'm afraid that's your problem, not ours. If I was visiting your culture, I'd respect your rules. As I do on another BB that bans personal abuse (apparently it's OK to refer to working-class kids collectively as "feral scum" but it's not OK to call the person who says that an arsehole :confused:).

You are of course free to do whatever you choose. I'm just letting you know that using 'cunt' in a trivial discussion about some goings-on in Chile, makes you appear a touch overexcitable and overemotional.

Looks like Sky News, your 24 hour news network, has advertising.

You have to pay Murdoch to see that, so most of us don't.

Bizarre, either have the news with no adverts, or you can have news with adverts and still have to pay this Antipodean cunt for the privilege.

note - other 'with ads' news sources are available

Back
Top Bottom