Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kamala Harris' time is up

Likewise, I have watched more of this years convention that one all the previous ones out together.

This one does seem a bit unusual, in that there is overwhelmingly unity and a rally for Harris/Walz. Previous conversations (not just '68) have been far more...interesting.

What strikes me as really weird, is the extent to which unions (not just union leaders, tho there have been a lot of them) have been to the fore. Every day there is someone (usually several people) extolling the virtues and the victories of the union movenment. How Joe Biden was the first sitting President ever to stand on a picket line. And they dont just talk, they shout about the 'working class'. The comparison with a Labour conference (even under Corbyn) is astounding.

Of course, it is still highly hypocritical. Bernie Sanders spoke last night, and was great, but was then immediately followed by a guy who proudly proclaimed 'as an actual billionaire...'
I haven't seen the convention, but Harris was warmly endorsed by UAW leader Shawn Fain a few weeks ago. And she warmly accepted the endorsement. That's equivalent to Keir Starmer being endorsed by Mick Lynch, which I don't think either would want.

It is quite weird. I think this might be partly due to the US being a federal stystem. The president just doesn't have powers over quite a few of the things a UK PM has powers over, which means they can express support for various groups while not actually promising that much concrete to help them. (Although Harris has pledged to bring in a universal holiday entitlement, which, amazingly, the US doesn't currently have - the legal minimum holiday entitlement is currently zero days.)

He's absolutely insane isn't he? The scariest part is that about half of the American electorate seem to think that's a normal way to communicate and even admire him for it. He's nuts.

I do worry the Dems may have gone a bit toooo OTT with all their celebrities and stuff making the 'working Joe' feel a bit intimidated by all the cool kids strutting their stuff.

Yeah, they need to tone the celeb stuff down. Might make their events more fun for them but it just makes them look more "elite."

Can't be me who really dislikes seeing celebs earnestly endorse a politician or perform at a gala just for that politician. It doesn't actually change my voting intention, but if if it ever did, it'd be against whoever they were endorsing.

Yeah, they need to tone the celeb stuff down. Might make their events more fun for them but it just makes them look more "elite."

Can't be me who really dislikes seeing celebs earnestly endorse a politician or perform at a gala just for that politician. It doesn't actually change my voting intention, but if if it ever did, it'd be against whoever they were endorsing.

Taylor Swift is staying out of it this time around. I think that is a good move.

Strong winds have woken me and the world service is broadcasting the dem conference.....its fecking cringeworthy

made a big £2.50 on kamala for Dem nominee. If she beats a visibly flagging Randall Flagg/Biff Tannen I got 10 to one. For a three quid stake but still. I'm already writing off the £1 I wasted on JD Vance.

I think both Harris and Walz are grounded enough to know that it's what they say and do is and will be what matters and resonates with voters as the campaign continues. They're not reliant upon celeb endorsement at this stage. Harris's acceptance speech seems testimony to that imo.

Nah, I like to know who is supporting the Desperate Cheeto, as it means they will never get a penny more out of me in their chosen field. Celebs wouldn't make me vote for someone, but it's good to know who are the actual fuckwits who like the monster, so that I can boycott their stuff. To be fair though, he only attracts zelebs on the whole. I mentioned elsewhere that I saw one of those YT vids showing who supported him. I think they may have got some wrong, as I was perturbed that some actors I like were on there, who weren't has beens but A listers. It seems it was a lie though. After all, we have seen how the lie that Swifties are for him has appeared in the last few days 😄 . I would sue the fucker if he tried to claim I was a supporter of his and I wasn't.

Nah, I like to know who is supporting the Desperate Cheeto, as it means they will never get a penny more out of me in their chosen field. Celebs wouldn't make me vote for someone, but it's good to know who are the actual fuckwits who like the monster, so that I can boycott their stuff. To be fair though, he only attracts zelebs on the whole. I mentioned elsewhere that I saw one of those YT vids showing who supported him. I think they may have got some wrong, as I was perturbed that some actors I like were on there, who weren't has beens but A listers. It seems it was a lie though. After all, we have seen how the lie that Swifties are for him has appeared in the last few days 😄 . I would sue the fucker if he tried to claim I was a supporter of his and I wasn't.

I don't mind knowing who they support, but I dislike it when they make videos and do personal appearances and the like.

Am more irked with speeches having to liken America to the greatest thing ever. Or all the god business.

Then again, suppose no politicians would get away with saying "America, it's ok, but there's room for improvement. Stay atheist!"

Obviously anybody is a better option than trump but fuck me she comes across as more fake than a £21 note. Her self smug congratulatory attitude is on a par with Trump. Just painful.

Honestly though I wish they would all stop going on about how great America is. It's a racist, violent hell hole.

And Obama has got some balls to. Going on about fucking change and how we have heard this story before. You promised change and look where that got you :facepalm:

Last edited:
And Obama has got some balls to. Going on about fucking change and how we have heard this story before. You promised change and look where that got you :facepalm:
Obama was for the most time boxed in by Republicans holding power in congress/senate, who blocked anything he tried to do regardless of merit. It’s where a lot of the current political partisanship grew from. It’ll always be stacked for the republicans because the senate treats each state equally regardless of population, so rarely matches the will of the overall population.

Though even when Democrats have had control they’ve never really done much progressive stuff other than social liberalism

Am more irked with speeches having to liken America to the greatest thing ever. Or all the god business.

Then again, suppose no politicians would get away with saying "America, it's ok, but there's room for improvement. Stay atheist!"

^ It is irritating and comes across as mawkish and sentimental but it's the American way.

Isn't the "room for improvement" part of that what Make America Great Again is all about? Trump regularly describes the US as a failing nation, a totally fucked-up hellhole that only he can fix

it seems to be a variable with the right-wing types.

a right wing politician seems to be able to say 'this country is in a state, it's all the fault of the left-wing government / immigrants' and it gets lapped up.

if a left-ish wing politician says anything slightly critical of the establishment / incumbent right wing government, then the right wing politicians say 's/he hates this country / is unpatriotic' and so on, and that gets lapped up.

Mind you if the Democrats started saying the country's a shithole they'd be laying themselves open ...

I Heard a bit of it and unsurprisingly it appears if elected she would tow the line on Gaza. Wasn't impressed at all, definitely overrated, unfortunately thanks to Biden they didn't have time to find a decent candidate.

Perhaps she'd be better than Trump but who could be worse than him.

Here is the speech the Palestinian American was going to say but last minute was refused by Harris team. Despite lengthy talks over proceeding days.

The uncommitted movement have gone through all the right channels and still been rebuffed

They pointed out that a Republican was allowed to speak. As well as relatives of a hostage ( which they were not complaining about)

As one said on the Zeteo channel if we can't even have one two minute speech by a Palestinian American Democrat what's the point?

And in a few states the Palestinian / Arab descent vote may matter if it is close call election time.

It's a bit like this country and Starmer.

Back
Top Bottom