Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kamala Harris' time is up

Hadn't realized there are Senate elections in November, too. Wonder whether the Harris effect will (a) continue and (b) affect these elections, too.

Would need to swing the House too, though.
Everyone wants congress to swing, trump very happy to have that happen through insurrection, others through the ballot box

What's bigoted about saying her name with the stress on the second syllable? I mean, I've heard lots of people say it that way.
This is really interesting if you want to go into a 13 minutes dive....basically even Kamala says her name "wrong" so what is right has a bunch of socio-linguistic factors to navigate

This is really interesting if you want to go into a 13 minutes dive....basically even Kamala says her name "wrong" so what is right has a bunch of socio-linguistic factors to navigate

I love that guy - his videos are always worth watching. He talks about trisyllabic shortening in a way that probably makes sense to most people.

You guys are probably right that Trump is being racist with his pronunciation, because when he's talking about Kamala Harris every word will be loaded with racism and sexism. And also bullies often do do that thing of intentionally mispronouncing someone's name even when it's not for racist reasons (for Trump, it'll be bullying and racism).

It's just that, to me, it didn't stick out as obviously racist the same way adding and emphasising Obama's middle name is, and that's probably because I'm not American. I mean, I've known at least one Kamala who pronounced it Kəm-AH-la, but that was in England, and she was probably Anglicising it when speaking English, like Dr Lindsey up there talks about.

My GF and her siblings also say their Bangladeshi names in English ways even when talking to each other on the phone in English. She also says it the English way when speaking in Sylheti - don't know about her siblings. For her, that is the right way, and an English speaker insisting on saying it in a Bangladeshi way would be being the opposite of thoughtful. It seems that's actually similar to Kamala Harris, who doesn't pronounce it the way Tamil speakers do.

So, for other people who say Kəm-AH-la, I wouldn't jump to assuming racism. Especially Brits, for whom, as Dr Lindsey explains, saying it exactly the same way as Kamala Harris herself does - which is the politest thing to do - requires using a vowel we don't actually have in British English dialects, and not just that, using it in a way that isn't a feature of our dialects (unusually, this is true for all British dialects, not just one or two dominant English ones. If anyone doesn't believe me, watch the video and listen to the difference between the sounds).

We can get close, and we should try to, but it's unrealistic to expect us to get it "right."

Walz jokes in a new Youtube video about liking 'white man's tacos " and it's all done in good humour. The right wing worm-brains are going nuts over it. They don't allow any humour or lightness go by without hammering it to death with po-faced absurdity.

in the past 12 hours I've seen two things, this

and this

these are desperate okay, but they're the kind of thing that will give trumpers talking pionts as the convention starts.

not to mention the old chestnut

1724077935967.png

in the past 12 hours I've seen two things, this

and this

these are desperate okay, but they're the kind of thing that will give trumpers talking pionts as the convention starts.

not to mention the old chestnut

View attachment 438854

New york post is a murdoch rag isn't it? Very sun like front page.

Really weird to see that on the Betfair exchange market KH's odds have been lengthening slightly since the DNC started (only from 1.89 to 2.1).

Obvs it's only a betting market and the usual caveats apply, but strange that this last week has made some folk at least think her chances are getting slightly worse

I thought he was a Dumpster fan, but perhaps I'm mixing him up with another rapper, who was on The Apprentice with the monster?

Lil Wayne probably - a rapper from New Orleans. Lil Jon is from Atlanta - he's an MC, producer and DJ who was a leading light of the 'crunk' scene - a subgenre of hip hop that involves agressive yelling over electronic dance beats.

Back
Top Bottom