Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

chilean miners - big up, nuff respect..

This morning on BBC Breakfast they read a text from a someone sitting in his car at a station in Surrey preparing to go to for work who was crying as he listened to the news of the miners coming out and I though "Oh wonder if that's from kabbes?" :oops: Urban is taking over my life.

Glad the process of getting them out seems to be going well though, I'll be following the news through the day :):)

Very moving seeing them come out. On a personal level for the miners and their families, but also on a human level, seeing the lengths we go to in order to save our fellow man :cool:

Very moving seeing them come out. On a personal level for the miners and their families, but also on a human level, seeing the lengths we go to in order to save our fellow man :cool:

Seeing the lengths we go to in order to save our fellow man when it makes a good story and there is lots of media attention, you mean.

Seeing the lengths we go to in order to save our fellow man when it makes a good story and there is lots of media attention, you mean.

They we're trying to locate the miners well before this became a worldwide story. It's only when they were found to be alive that the story went global. Not saying there's not a media frenzy but the rescue attempt would have happened regardless.

want to be there with a big banner saying I love you pablo and booing everyone else who comes out

Ironic that it is maggies birthday and the whole world is focused on a mine

OK, so I've not read every column inch about this and the boat batteries deaded just before they started coming up last night so I couldn't watch any coverage. What's pablo's story? Were they nasty to him down there? :(

Can someone please come along and provide the nutty left-wing angle on this? My urban day isn't complete without it.
That the mine owners should pay for this?

I know, I know. It's a ridiculous suggestion.

Seeing this story this morning really brightened my day. I normally avoid news first thing as the reporting usually makes me very angry, but I switched the telly on mute while checking the weather, and this was the first story. Didn't need words, just watching that little pod thing come up and the happy faces was enough.

It's a wonderful, uplifting story, although it's hard to ignore the cunning political capital being made by some of the government types.

They we're trying to locate the miners well before this became a worldwide story. It's only when they were found to be alive that the story went global. Not saying there's not a media frenzy but the rescue attempt would have happened regardless.

Whatever the cost of the rescue operation, I'm sure the same amount of money could have been spent elsewhere and saved many more than 30 lives.

Whatever the cost of the rescue operation, I'm sure the same amount of money could have been spent elsewhere and saved many more than 30 lives.

Thank you for pointing out the bleeding obvious. Maybe the Chilean Government or whoever is paying should have left the minors down there and diverted the funds to a clean water in Africa charity? You point is clear and indeed correct but it's impossible to rationalise.

Well 9 people have now died from the toxic mudslide in Hungary so that could end up balancing things out.

That is true of virtually any rescue operation. Far more than the NHS would spend to save a life (up to £30,000 per quality adjusted life year purchased, BTW). Fact is, rescue operations do not come out of the NHS budgets, and typically the costs assigned to a rescue operation are the pro rata costs of having the rescue service available at all, so they're misleading in terms of opportunity cost - you can't make a direct comparison like this. It's not valid.

It's also not really true anyway. There's a kid in the West Midlands costing the health authority £1 million/year to keep alive. This is ridiculous given that we could keep 30+ kids alive each year with that money spent on more cost-effective treatments. It's very, very hard to let someone die when you can prevent it, which is why we very rarely do it. The NHS doesn't refuse life-saving treatments - it refuses treatments that are over-priced for their effectiveness. Like a colorectal cancer drug that costs £21k for an extra six weeks of life on average. It doesn't save lives, it slightly extends them. Six weeks extra time in pain from cancer, vs 7 cycles of IVF for a desperate couple, or a premature baby kept alive. No contest. The drug company can drop the price if it expects us to buy their more or less useless drug off them.

In this particular case, some obscenely rich people tried to get richer by paying poor people to work in unacceptably dangerous conditions. In these circumstances, there is absolutely no reason to limit what they are charged for rescuing them. If they take risks to make money, they must pay up when it doesn't work out, not just take the profits when it does. This is the kind of principle that a sane society should work on. Perhaps Chile can set us an example of how to deal with the bankers. :)

Thank you for pointing out the bleeding obvious. Maybe the Chilean Government or whoever is paying should have left the minors down there and diverted the funds to a clean water in Africa charity? You point is clear and indeed correct but it's impossible to rationalise.

My comment was made in response to someone saying that the whole episode has been "moving". Is human irrationality when it comes to helping others "moving"?

I'm wondering what this story reveals at all that we didn't know before. It's not like anyone's going to think "if a bunch of miners were trapped alive underground and there was a lot of media interest, I doubt there would be much effort to rescue them" and then watch this story on the news and think "oh my goodness, against all expectations actually they have made a big effort, the human race isn't as bad as I thought it was".

The whole thing, and the media coverage of it, is just one big statement of the bleedin obvious.

My comment was made in response to someone saying that the whole episode has been "moving". Is human irrationality when it comes to helping others "moving"?

I'm wondering what this story reveals at all that we didn't know before. It's not like anyone's going to think "if a bunch of miners were trapped alive underground and there was a lot of media interest, I doubt there would be much effort to rescue them" and then watch this story on the news and think "oh my goodness, against all expectations actually they have made a big effort, the human race isn't as bad as I thought it was".

The whole thing, and the media coverage of it, is just one big statement of the bleedin obvious.

The Kursk post someone made flew right over your head then, did it?

I have no idea where you got the idea that the TV news was supposed to have educational value. It's a bizarre notion.

There is of course a time for cynicism:, for instance, the 'pin up' Mining Minister Laurence Golborne who has done so much to facilate the rescue operation, will later have to answer for why it happened and the appalling record of mining disasters in Chile, but for now, its bloody marvellous and personally is cheering me up no end,

Vive Chile!

I should think they will be at least paid for the time underground ,but you never know with greedy bosses

Who turned on the lights said the Chilean miners and WTF you brought us on Thatchers Birthday she still alive? Have you not noted the wicked witch is 85 and on this day in history it shall be re-written of course on how Thatcher was the etc.. It is good to see the Chilean miners but fuck the hypocrisy is astounding.. Meanwhile 11 million Greek civilians remain trapped, and in other news The Private mining Co that employs Chilean miners will not pay them & has made no contribution to rescue, which is work of State owned mining Co, lets go back to The Birthday Celebrations of Thatcher is she dead yet? oh i mean how good to see her looking so fine and well.

Many people were surprised about the apparent lack of effort made to save the Kursk sailors. Because they would have expected something more like what has happened in Chile. I'm not sure it's a very useful comparison anyway - the timescales available to carry out a rescue operation for example are very different and it's not like there are any military secrets likely to emerge from the mine.

Many people were surprised about the apparent lack of effort made to save the Kursk sailors. Because they would have expected something more like what has happened in Chile. I'm not sure it's a very useful comparison anyway - the timescales available to carry out a rescue operation for example are very different and it's not like there are any military secrets likely to emerge from the mine.

How do the widely reported Chinese mine explosions where fuck all is done to save the miners then fit in with your hypothesis?

I'm not an expert on Chinese mine explosions. I would be interested to read an account of a similar incident in China.

There is of course a time for cynicism:, for instance, the 'pin up' Mining Minister Laurence Golborne who has done so much to facilate the rescue operation, will later have to answer for why it happened and the appalling record of mining disasters in Chile, but for now, its bloody marvellous and personally is cheering me up no end,

Vive Chile!

There's always a time for cynicism. But not teuchter's style of lazy cynicism. It contains no insights, it teaches us nothing. Except that he's a prat, of course.

Back
Top Bottom