Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chelsea 2023-24

You lot need a new team thread.

But I'll just leave this here. Brilliant satire from Jonathan Liew

Pleased he has gone, Sterling that is, although I'd be just as pleased if Liew went tbh. Every writer and pundit has a joke about Chelsea and there's nothing wrong with that.

For whatever reason, and there are some mitigating ones ie having 5 managers and coaching staff in his time at the club , as one of our more senior players Sterling hasn't led by example and has been very inconsistent. It was made clear that he wasn't in the coach's plans his ludicrous wages would always be a stumbling block. The positives are that Arsenal are paying him £150k, hopefully, he will get some game time , a bit of a shop window and after this season he finds a new club. I wish him all the best. We've also finally got Lukaku off the books, really hope someone picks up Chillwell who is another high earner that isn't in the first team squad in January.

I think our net spend is around £55m.

Lukaku should have stayed in Italy. Why he came back to Chelsea is a mystery. I don't understand why they bothered with Sterling either, what was he even for? I get every team needs an experienced/big brother figure player, especially with a young squad like Chelsea's, but I forgot Sterling was even there half the time.

I try not to take the piss out of Chelsea around my stepdad because I think the neverending madness of Chelsea genuinely depresses him, but they're Everton on steroids. Except they can afford to throw money around and don't have some whacking great ex-Burnley players and a feral nutcase in goal.

Lukaku should have stayed in Italy. Why he came back to Chelsea is a mystery. I don't understand why they bothered with Sterling either, what was he even for? I get every team needs an experienced/big brother figure player, especially with a young squad like Chelsea's, but I forgot Sterling was even there half the time.

I try not to take the piss out of Chelsea around my stepdad because I think the neverending madness of Chelsea genuinely depresses him, but they're Everton on steroids. Except they can afford to throw money around and don't have some whacking great ex-Burnley players and a feral nutcase in goal.

Sterling was one of Boehy's buys when he took over the responsibilities for recruitment . The club had no real recruitment team due to the transfer ban/government take over and then the purchase of the club. Tuchel was asked to take more responsibility but refused . Safe to say despite good intentions mistakes were made . In the absence of both transfer strategy and experienced staff the club used agents which led to some over priced arrivals and an expensive scatter gun approach with wages. Sterling was one of them that I was pleased to see however the Sterling that turned up wasn't the one that I wanted to see. Koulibaly who had been sought after was another however he way off the pace. Neither bought any leadership onto the pitch. We paid over the odds for Curecella however he has had a good last 6 months and paid well over the odds for Fofana and then lost him through injuries for a season and half. Caciedo was also very expensive however :Liverpool matched bidding for him. Fernandes also was overpriced however he does make a solid contribution. Liverpool also matched our bid for Lavia who if he can ever get over whatever is preventing him from playing looked very good preseason

We've now got a recruitment infrastructure and the direction last year was to scout young talent which has resulted in an array of potential talent. This year there has been some older players recruited like Neto etc. Financially I think we are restricted unless we sell or find ways of getting round the sustainability accounting . The long term issue is matchday income and that wont be resolved unless we expand the ground or move.

Back
Top Bottom