Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spurs 2023/24

Not sure he's hoping for anything. I think it's just an honest response to fucking weird behaviour from "fans" of your club.

View attachment 424499

Mikel Arteta is an absolutely grade A, new and improved, bellend - in charge of a bunch of play acting, arrogant, classless pricks, supported by possibly the worst set of supporters in the land (oh, I forgot about Chelsea) but I still hope we beat City on Sunday. 6-0 hopefully, 5 own goals from Erling Haaland and one off of Coufals arse for his first goal for us. Imagine Pep's face, for a start.

Football rivalry is essentially stupid and meaningless, real "the next village down the road all have webbed feet" bollocks, and I'm really trying to be a better person, but then you hear about this and... I dunno, it's hard man.
:D I'm a Gooner.

We gave you one job!

To be fair, the players put a shift in, despite the potential advantage to us if you got something out if it. Not sure what Ange is hoping for from criticising fans...
I think Ange is right - it's about a cultural shift at the club that he's trying to implement.

Our success or otherwise is not (or it shouldn't be) defined by how well Arsenal do. If we're happy to hang around between 4th & 8th season after season then we have a very limited impact on them anyway - 2 games a season, the rest we can only impact by losing (like last night). They'll win titles, they'll lose titles, and virtually none of it will be down to us.

The only surefire way to stop Arsenal winning the league is by being in 1st place ourselves. I'm well aware that we're a fair distance away from that at the moment, but Postecoglu is used to winning things (albeit in lesser leagues) so wants that winning mentality from top to bottom - boardroom, coaching staff, team, fans.

For me, not doing Arsenal a favour softened the blow of losing after the game had finished, but while it was on I wanted us to win every bit as much as usual.

As for the game itself, overall a decent performance and plenty of positives - including a debut few minutes for Mikey Moore, very highly regarded at the club. We were just up against a team who's as good as anyone and better than most.

Strange night all round.

Before addressing ‘what the fans wanted’ and the managers ranting…,I was there l, as I always am and it was a weird, subdued atmosphere around the ground before KO.

Team selection was greeted with positivity - Ange at last proving he has a Plan B despite saying he didn’t for months while we’ve been getting drubbed. Anyway, those ST holders around me were supporting Tottenham in the usual way - singing, clapping etc. we all admitted to the weirdness of the situation (which TBF the players and manager had put us in). I liked the false 9. I think we all thought we’d enjoy the game and reflect on the result when it became clear.

Anti-Arsenal songs were to be expected. I even understand the ‘are you watching Arsenal’ when Edersen was down injured. That’s the nature of football fans I suppose.

No one was ‘glad’ we had lost but the loss had a silver lining.

The ‘noise’ around wanting us to lose is entirely SM driven & oc Talkshite spouting bollocks for click bait for 2 whole days (so I hear). The tribalism around ‘banter’ 🤮 culture etc is led by people who don’t go but spend hours on line, even during the game.

Ange’s comments. I understand he wants to build a ‘winning culture’ (a Sisyphean task at Spurs maybe?). However, he overstepped the mark I think. Where was the ‘winning culture’ when he put a reserve XI out in the LC at Fulham? When he said top4 wasn’t important, when he stated set pieces ‘weren’t important’ and when we take 2pts from 18 against Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham. Read the room and understand the culture please……mate. Oh, and look at the camera too!

I hope it blows over quickly. Season end can’t come quickly enough. Let’s see what his ‘winning culture’ looks like in August. I genuinely hope he succeeds…

The ‘noise’ around wanting us to lose is entirely SM driven & oc Talkshite spouting bollocks for click bait for 2 whole days (so I hear). The tribalism around ‘banter’ 🤮 culture etc is led by people who don’t go but spend hours on line, even during the game.
Defnitely amplified by SM no doubt, but as a North Londoner, been around football, playing and watching, for 40+ years plus , a lot of my friends are Spurs. Pretty much all of them wanted to them wanted you to lose. 10 of us played 5 a side last night, 7 went to the pub for second half, 3 Gooners, 3 Spurs and 1 couldn't give a toss. All 3 of Spurs fans were desperate for you to lose and said all their Spurs mates did too.

Defnitely amplified by SM no doubt, but as a North Londoner, been around football, playing and watching, for 40+ years plus , a lot of my friends are Spurs. Pretty much all of them wanted to them wanted you to lose. 10 of us played 5 a side last night, 7 went to the pub for second half, 3 Gooners, 3 Spurs and 1 couldn't give a toss. All 3 of Spurs fans were desperate for you to lose and said all their Spurs mates did too.
Tbh it's rare as a gooner to want spurs to win. But when I want them to they never oblige, not just v man city but years back against united at auld Trafford. Big bunch of bottle jobs

Anti-Arsenal songs were to be expected. I even understand the ‘are you watching Arsenal’ when Edersen was down injured. That’s the nature of football fans I suppose.
Why would they sing it because Ederson was injured? It was because you'd gone 1-0 down wasn't it?

And the guy behind him who kept telling him to throw the match:

Can understand why he's pissed off tbf.

Last edited:
A season in simple statistics. Hopes/Expectations - 6 points (green) vs bottom half teams (minimum 4, orange), 4 points vs top half (minimum 3).

Easy to see where things have gone wrong - 4 points from 8 games v Chelsea, West Ham, Wolves and Fulham.

Man City - 1/6
Arsenal - 1/6

Liverpool - 3/6
Villa - 3/6

----- Spurs -----
Newcastle - 3/6
Chelsea - 0/6
Man Utd - 4/6
West Ham - 1/6
Brighton - 3/6
Bournemouth - 6/6
Crystal Palace - 6/6

Wolves - 0/6
Fulham - 3/6

Everton - 4/6
Brentford - 4/6

Forest - 6/6
Luton - 6/6
Burnley - 6/6
Sheff Utd - 3/3

It's also a season defined by 2 poor runs:

Chelsea (h), Wolves (a), Villa (h), Man City (a), West Ham (h) - 1 point from 15 after the great start to the season.

Newcastle (a), Arsenal (h), Chelsea (a), Liverpool (a), Burnley (h), Man City (h) - 3 points from 18.

For the remaining 26 games, we've averaged 2.26 points per game, which is exceptional - in the ballpark of the top 2. Looking at the fixture list (especially in the 2nd, current run) it's a bit of a pipedream to be performing at that level, but even a fairly mediocre return of 1.5ppg (roughly 8th, 9th mid-table form) would have given an extra 12 points or so and a comfortable 4th, challenging 3rd.

So all told, the highs have been very high; just consistency to work on, can't expect to win much when over a quarter of the season falls in those 2 runs. Squad depth would have undoubtedly helped in the first (Chelsea onwards), as a Ben Davies-Emerson Royal CB pairing was never likely to be watertight; can't help but wonder if things would have improved with e.g. Dragusin and Davies.

So 5th it is; stumbled over the line, but plenty of positives. Not least a seat at the 2nd European table - more fixtures are a balancing act between exhausting the mainstays but giving opportunities to some of the excellent U21 side. However we do it, I hope we don't see the likes of 11 changes for early league cup rounds - take it all seriously, just be mindful of how and when to rest a couple of Son, Romero, MvdV etc.

First bit of transfer news - Sessegnon is leaving when his contract is up at the end of June. Option to extend by a year not taken up - presumably the thinking is that we want him off the books and trying to get a fee doesn't outweigh the risk of his wages if a paying customer can't be found. Shame, I really like him as a player of some potential, but injuries have held him back a lot.

Telly tart Ange is moonlighting for ITV during the Euros. Are we not paying him enough? Shouldn’t he be focused on transfers and training over the summer, holiday time aside?

Telly tart Ange is moonlighting for ITV during the Euros. Are we not paying him enough? Shouldn’t he be focused on transfers and training over the summer, holiday time aside?

Agreed. On top of swanning around Australia with the lads - they played Newcastle in Melbourne on Tuesday/Wednesday. Obvs a financial decision taken by Levy but surely Ange would’ve had a say? Just don’t start telling everyone the team is tired next season 😡

Given the shambolic way Spurs ended the season, I’d have thought getting your head down and focussed on a decent Plan B and improving set pieces might’ve been wiser, rather than sparring with Keane, Dixon et al

Silly season aka Fabrizio Romano's Summer School of Transfer Gossip is well underway.

Emerson Royal is allegedly off to AC Milan, for a fee in excess of £20m. Outstanding bit of business if true.

Troy Parrott had a fine end of the season with Excelsior (2 hattricks in quick succession) and is wanted by multiple Dutch and German top flight clubs.

Joe Rodon won't be staying at Leeds with them not being promoted. I had high hopes of Lloyd Kelly or Tosin Adarabioyo on free transfers to come in; Tosin to Chelsea, Kelly to Newcastle look likely - could there still be a squad place for Rodon instead?

Hojbjerg to either Atletico Madrid or Juventus - either way, he's definitely leaving and for a sizeable fee.

Lo Celso, all gone a bit quiet but I can't see him staying.

Reguilon, struggling to find a buyer - wages are beyond Brentford unless we subsidise them (season long loan with an obligation to buy?).

Kyle Walker-Peters was being regularly mentioned as a potential replacement for Emerson; especially since he's our own academy product, important for the Europa League (25 man squad needs 4 - Skipp, Austin, ???, ???). Unlikely to happen now that Southampton are a Premier League team once again.

But in a similar vein - Marcus Edwards anyone? We still (somehow) have a 35% sell-on clause, or as I like to call it - a hefty discount on buying him back.

Plus the daily tattle about Ivan Toney and/or Santiago Gimenez to play up front.

And finally, whisper it quietly but there's some noise about Eze from Crystal Palace, superb player.

Silly season aka Fabrizio Romano's Summer School of Transfer Gossip is well underway.

Emerson Royal is allegedly off to AC Milan, for a fee in excess of £20m. Outstanding bit of business if true.

Troy Parrott had a fine end of the season with Excelsior (2 hattricks in quick succession) and is wanted by multiple Dutch and German top flight clubs.

Joe Rodon won't be staying at Leeds with them not being promoted. I had high hopes of Lloyd Kelly or Tosin Adarabioyo on free transfers to come in; Tosin to Chelsea, Kelly to Newcastle look likely - could there still be a squad place for Rodon instead?

Hojbjerg to either Atletico Madrid or Juventus - either way, he's definitely leaving and for a sizeable fee.

Lo Celso, all gone a bit quiet but I can't see him staying.

Reguilon, struggling to find a buyer - wages are beyond Brentford unless we subsidise them (season long loan with an obligation to buy?).

Kyle Walker-Peters was being regularly mentioned as a potential replacement for Emerson; especially since he's our own academy product, important for the Europa League (25 man squad needs 4 - Skipp, Austin, ???, ???). Unlikely to happen now that Southampton are a Premier League team once again.

But in a similar vein - Marcus Edwards anyone? We still (somehow) have a 35% sell-on clause, or as I like to call it - a hefty discount on buying him back.

Plus the daily tattle about Ivan Toney and/or Santiago Gimenez to play up front.

And finally, whisper it quietly but there's some noise about Eze from Crystal Palace, superb player.

Useful to have a summary and avoid the cesspit of ITK fabulation. Ta.

My preferred England lineup had Rice as a sole holding midfielder, with Mainoo as his backup - leaving room in the team and squad for all our best attacking players. Best guess now for Southgate's thinking is that we'll probably go with 2 (Rice and TAA) so take Adam Wharton as well as Mainoo.

If that is the case and Alexander-Arnold is mainly considered a midfielder, probably means another attacking midfielder/forward will be left behind (maybe Toney, as well as Maddison) in favour of Esri Konsa, pretty much as a reserve right back.

We've been spoiled over recent years with Kane, Dele, Dier, Tripper, Rose, Walker, Winks etc all regularly turning out for England. I don't really like Spurs not having England representation.

Goodness. I’d rather that all our players are getting time off over the summer and don’t risk injury. Maddison especially.

But I don’t really see the point of international football.
The first international tournament I remember following was Italia 90, and I was 16 (and discovering beer and girls) for Euro 96. Even allowing for the disasters which were 92 and 94, these left a mark on me - following England was exciting and heartbreaking in equal measures, but above all it was fun.

The pinnacle of football for me isn't the Chamions League, it's the world cup. I love seeing all Spurs players on the biggest stage regardless of nationality (Hugo 😍); while I don't support England in anything like the same way as I do Spurs (for a start I don't get on with the pseudo-patriotic flag-shagging and willy-waving that our travelling "fans" call support, but that's a different debate entirely) I am from England and I call it home, so Spurs players for England hold a bit of a special place for me.

New thread ^

Back
Top Bottom