Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spurs 2023/24

Villa dropping points. If we win against Liverpool this afternoon we might even start developing foolish doomed optimism again. But the most important objective has to be to prevent Woolwich from winning the league.

Villa dropping points. If we win against Liverpool this afternoon we might even start developing foolish doomed optimism again. But the most important objective has to be to prevent Woolwich from winning the league.

its the ten minutes of hope that kills you

Fed up with this season now. It's overall still hugely positive, but this stumbling towards the finish line is casting a big shadow over what should be a great platform to build on.

Hold little hope against City, but there are still 2 winnable games if heads are still screwed on straight, needed to stay ahead of Man Utd, Newcastle and Chelsea. We should have put all 3 to bed weeks ago.

If spurs want to finish higher than fifth in the future they need to get busy in the transfer window - its the quality of players that is the problem, that way they will score more goals and get more points. proper football insight

As I’ve said before, a shambolic end to the season. However, this has been coming for some time. The signs have been there since Xmas to be honest.

The thing that Levy has to decide is whether to back Ange or not (& TBF we all know Daniel’s track record here).

Has Ange been found as a naive and arrogant? Lack of a Plan B - ‘my way or no way at all’? A sub-par journeyman who is way out of his depth in the Premier League.

Or

Is he the real deal and ‘just’ needs ‘his’ squad to achieve big things?

Edit: I’m isolation a fifth place in his first season is pretty good going. Problem is, will this 2nd half of the season form carry on into 2024/25 resulting in a sacking 10 games in?

I think you have to take the 5th place (hopefully) in isolation - the 5 games post Chelsea were abysmal, the last 5 games have been abysmal, but the first 10 were spectacular and there have been some other excellent performances and results along the way. We finished 8th last time out, we've improved even if it has been a roller coaster ride.

Lack of quality hasn't been that much of an issue, lack of depth has. 2 fairly noticeable examples - Udogie and Maddison are brilliant players and so important to our style, but they've both been well below par for a bit and there's no-one to play instead. If Jack Grealish has so much as a sniff of a bad game, in comes Jeremy Doku; ditto Martinelli (Trossard), Diaz (Gakpo or Jota), even Villa in certain positions are well stocked (Diaby, Bailey, Zaniolo for example). As has been talked about before, we have maybe 14 or 15 "Ange" players and that's it.

2 or 3 players to improve our best team (specifically a 6 and a 9), 2 or 3 more to give variety, adaptability and resilience. We've plenty income from sales of no consequence (who'd miss Reguilon, Parrott and Gil?) and there are some decent profile free transfers out there (Kelly and/or Tosin e.g.), "backing Ange" could simply be all sales reinvested with another about £50m. Surely an overall decent season has earned the manager the right to oversee that and go again.

The madness of it is some of your fans are calling for Ange to go, having learnt nothing from Poch out, Conte out, Mourinho out. Your're 5th, not 15th. You haven't won the league for 60 years, what did they expect him to do in his first season?

I'm a Gooner and felt the same about the Arteta out noise a few seasons ago. Unless a club is doing way, way, way worse than expected, changing the manager after a season or two is roll of the dice that's just as likely to be a worse outcome than better,

Unless a club is doing way, way, way worse than expected, changing the manager after a season or two is roll of the dice that's just as likely to be a worse outcome than better,
That's just it. The club is doing way, way, way worse than expectations that skyrocketed part way through the season. Compared to where they were when Postecoglu arrived and Kane left, we're doing more than ok and a top 5 finish would be a good platform to build on.

That's just it. The club is doing way, way, way worse than expectations that skyrocketed part way through the season. Compared to where they were when Postecoglu arrived and Kane left, we're doing more than ok and a top 5 finish would be a good platform to build on.
Yeah, when Maddison and Son were first firing together, you looked like a force to contend with. Maddison currently looking a shadow of that but might just need a run of games, too late this season, obviously. I'd say Son aslo needs Maddison to be playing consistently.

Keeper is suspect I reckon, and not just because he fell for Benny Blanco's antics. Doesn't look like his commands his area in any game.

Vicario is already an almost like for like Lloris replacement in that he has proved himself an excellent shot stopper but suspect from crosses. Better with his feet than Hugo though.

I suspect Son’s legs might be going a bit. Still an excellent winger/finisher. Problem is Spurs have been playing him at #9 where he is bullied off the ball constantly. Build up play is not his bag - just wants to run on to the ball. Needs to go play on the left.

Maddison hasn’t recovered from his injury I don’t think. Form is poor.

Udogie and Davies both being injured at the same time hasn’t helped either. Royal isn’t a good enough RB, let alone LB.

Spurs were punching above their weight during those (now distant) first 10 games. Angeball had taken teams by surprise. Since then, well. People have done their homework.

408ed5e0-06d8-11ef-bee9-6125e244a4cd.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

It is good to see that for this young man, there is not only life post-Mourinho, but a chance to enjoy the sport he loves. It is a shame that he could not fully achieve this at the club he loved.

Spurs were punching above their weight during those (now distant) first 10 games. Angeball had taken teams by surprise. Since then, well. People have done their homework.

Yeah, his stubborn refusal to have a plan B is real issue in the Premier League. Even the very top teams accept that there are games and circumstances in which you have play to not lose, and hope to nick a win. The 'we play how we play' sentiment is admirable, but not practical.

Last edited:
Better. A lot to like in that second half, especially Micky as a Bale-esque rampaging left back. And Son-Scarlett-Johnson is probably our best forward line in current circumstances. I have a horrible feeling we might have rediscovered form just before City, which would be terrible timing.

I'd almost forgotten what winning and playing quite well felt like.

Now we've almost got the points on the board to guarantee 5th, it would be good if Man Utd could remember how to be not shit - beat Arsenal, which in turn lets us play Man City without wanting to lose 12-0.

I immediately thought that looked Kane-like, so I looked him up on Wiki and it says:
He has been described as "the new Harry Kane" and as a "left-footed number nine, noted for his tenacity and finishing ability, who can drop off and show a good range of passing".[4]

"The New Kane" could be an albatross though, like many a new Cruyff, Best, Maradona, Zidane, etc.

I immediately thought that looked Kane-like, so I looked him up on Wiki and it says:

"The New Kane" could be an albatross though, like many a new Cruyff, Best, Maradona, Zidane, etc.
Lankshear has been playing the forward role to great effect. Donley has been so good that he's given license to go wherever and do whatever he wants from an attacking midfield role, a bit like Maddison early season.

Gooner popping in to wish you the best of luck with your quest for Champions League! Sheff Utd on Sunday is a banker, so just nick a win from City tonight and you're on. Quids in, better players come in for next season, it's a dream! You can do it!

This should be fun. Maddison playing off the left, drifting inside to leave loads of space for the marauding left back/wing forward.

Meanwhile, it's Man City with Erling Haaland, Phil Foden and Kevin de Bruyne, so we're going to need a big performance from our paciest defender to cover behind the high line.

Said wing-forward and pacy defender are the same guy.

Or it’s a Conte tribute back three. Who knows?
I wondered that, but I can't for the life of me see who's left wing back in that system.

For my money it's:

Vic
Porro Romero Dragusin MvdV
Hojbjerg
Bentancur Sarr
Johnson --- Son --- Maddison​

We gave you one job!

To be fair, the players put a shift in, despite the potential advantage to us if you got something out if it. Not sure what Ange is hoping for from criticising fans...

Not sure what Ange is hoping for from criticising fans...
Not sure he's hoping for anything. I think it's just an honest response to fucking weird behaviour from "fans" of your club.

SmartSelect_20240515_093534_Chrome.jpg

Mikel Arteta is an absolutely grade A, new and improved, bellend - in charge of a bunch of play acting, arrogant, classless pricks, supported by possibly the worst set of supporters in the land (oh, I forgot about Chelsea) but I still hope we beat City on Sunday. 6-0 hopefully, 5 own goals from Erling Haaland and one off of Coufals arse for his first goal for us. Imagine Pep's face, for a start.

Football rivalry is essentially stupid and meaningless, real "the next village down the road all have webbed feet" bollocks, and I'm really trying to be a better person, but then you hear about this and... I dunno, it's hard man.

Back
Top Bottom