Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

Guilietta SS, gorgeous things.

Remember seeing my first one at one of the big auction house race days years ago and of all the lovely stuff there, it was the one I hankered after the most. :cool:

I've just stumbled across this BBC doc from 1993 all about company cars. It's absolutely compelling - as one of the YouTube comments puts it, "it's like Spinal Tap with sales reps".

It's mad to think your worth was judged on whether or not your car had an electric aerial 😁

I've just stumbled across this BBC doc from 1993 all about company cars. It's absolutely compelling - as one of the YouTube comments puts it, "it's like Spinal Tap with sales reps".

That's way more fascinating than it should be. The first guy going on about how annoyed he is that the "CD" badging on his Astra isn't more prominent so everyone else can see his status is gold.
Edit: "Because the i stands for important" and then go on to snobbery about hangers. I wonder if the film crew were serious or muttering "wanker" in their head as much as I am.

Last edited:

I see Chz has alluded to it. I remember one programme about reps going on about having lots of letters on their cars the more the better. 😂

My Grandad used to have one of these in the early 70s... affectiontely known as 'Grandad's Banger' by me and my brother.

View attachment 442722

one of mum-tat's neighbours has acquired a black 1000 recently (either that or they have had the car a while and just bought the house)

and i saw this car near mum-tat's today (on the interwebs from report on a show, not my photo)

facebook_1599244184943_6707716281883552153.jpg

For want of a better place to put the comment. I was at Brands Hatch yesterday for some promotional thing, and there were a number of people out on the track behind the window while the presentations went on. The one that got the most attention - amongst all the recent Alpines (seem to be BH's house car if you rent one), BMWs and whatnot there was an OG NSX. That turned the most heads, and made the best noise.

Saw a Nissan Cube yesterday. Always happy to see one of them. The one time in motoring history someone decided to make a sensible choice about the geometry of a car's internal space instead of a stupid choice about how to make a car the right kind of ugly to fit in with what everyone else does.

I mean really, which is uglier? The Nissan cube...

1726913143797.png

...or the ubiquitous, socially acceptable but objectively foul Honda Civic:

1726913570360.png

It's wild to think how fast the GOAT was in its day. A manual, LSD, Tri-Power (which is the only one you want, single carb GTOs can GTFO) would rip a 14 second quarter off the showroom floor on '60s tyres.

Last edited:
Saw a Nissan Cube yesterday. Always happy to see one of them. The one time in motoring history someone decided to make a sensible choice about the geometry of a car's internal space instead of a stupid choice about how to make a car the right kind of ugly to fit in with what everyone else does.

View attachment 443611

View attachment 443614

Jonah out of Veep had a Cube and the Civic Type-R is fully sick. That settles it for me.

View attachment 443611

View attachment 443614
When we had a Civic, it looked like this
1726914884006.png

Back
Top Bottom