Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

I think moving to London put me off cars for good; no-one drives here, there's too much traffic. The thought of learning to drive here filled me with a vague sense of terror that I've never really gotten over.

I did wonder if the whole "old cars prettier than new cars" thing was just an old fogey affectation akin to "kids' music these days is just noise" or if there really is just very little differentiation between most car designs these days. Probably my favourite period was the 50s and 60s - the XK140 I posted a while back is up there as one of my all-time favourites (I regard it as even prettier than the E-Type).
You are quite right, Older cars certainly have much more style, character, charm and individuality than more modern cars. Even the Alfa Guilia looks like the average European rot box 😔

With a modern car you won’t be sandwiched between the dashboard and back seat if someone accidentally bumps into you. Can’t be much fun dying in hospital thinking “at least my car looked interesting from the outside”.

You are quite right, Older cars certainly have much more style, character, charm and individuality than more modern cars. Even the Alfa Guilia looks like the average European rot box 😔

Well I don't know how right I am or not (as I suspect I'm preaching to the choir in this thread particularly :D) Is having posters of and lusting after sports cars something kids even do these days...? Whilst I'm still amused at seeing the occasional souped-up boy-racermobile, car fetishisation seems to be much less of a thing these days (although this could just be to do with the aforementioned factors of age and distance from anything car-related).

What I don't understand about todays "car enthusiasts" is the ones that remove manufacturers labels from a recognisable car. Do they expect us to think they made it themselves?

Audi's are often like this, the rings removed from the front grill and a logo less grill put in its place.

It seems to be the only thing they do.

Don't understand.

Well I don't know how right I am or not (as I suspect I'm preaching to the choir in this thread particularly :D) Is having posters of and lusting after sports cars something kids even do these days...? Whilst I'm still amused at seeing the occasional souped-up boy-racermobile, car fetishisation seems to be much less of a thing these days (although this could just be to do with the aforementioned factors of age and distance from anything car-related).
No. Car fetishism is still there, big time, you need to know what to look for and where. The Ace Cafe has at least one meet every day. Most "decent" car clubs meet at least monthly. The kids often meet up at service stations or similar and do tunnel runs. The Chelsea Cruise still happens on the last Saturday of every month. Need I go on 😂

What I don't understand about todays "car enthusiasts" is the ones that remove manufacturers labels from a recognisable car. Do they expect us to think they made it themselves?

Audi's are often like this, the rings removed from the front grill and a logo less grill put in its place.

It seems to be the only thing they do.

Don't understand.
This is stamping their personality on a car and removing the manufacturer's personality. Also, quite often, it's to "clean" the car, to give it really clean lines often removing badges, bits of trim, sometimes door handles....

No. Car fetishism is still there, big time, you need to know what to look for and where. The Ace Cafe has at least one meet every day. Most "decent" car clubs meet at least monthly. The kids often meet up at service stations or similar and do tunnel runs. The Chelsea Cruise still happens on the last Saturday of every month. Need I go on 😂

Of course I'm aware such things exist, I just wonder if they ever include anything that was made in the last 20yrs or so :) Certainly I grew up in an age where a brand new hot hatches were the preserve of kids' walls, just wondered if there were modern day equivalents.

I imagine the XJS had beautiful looking engines. Sad the cars were front wheel drives.
A rival to Bristol's I imagine.

I imagine the XJS had beautiful looking engines. Sad the cars were front wheel drives.
A rival to Bristol's I imagine.
The XJS was rear wheel drive. They didn’t rival Bristol in my opinion. My friend‘s 411 was a far better car in every respect. But the Jag was affordable by comparison.

Agreed. But they are not high end cars, just reasonably average sports cars. The Alfa could be approaching £100k the other 2 maybe around £50k at a guess. Also, Richmond has a number of wealthy people who have retired. What will tomorrow being 🤔

Must admit an Austin Healey is a dream garage car for me. Wonderful!

I do look at the prices of West Coast US cars to see if a viable LHD one is still on line with my eventual move to the sun...

Back
Top Bottom