Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

So the long old trip to deepest Suffolk yesterday was well worth it.

Picking this up on Saturday after a new boot-lid, front wing and wider dish wheels/tyres are all fitted. 20220705_115542.jpg

It sounds and drives an absolute dream and soooo much quicker than you'd imagine a 53 year old car should be.

Can't wait. :).

At this year's festival of unexceptional cars.....https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/events-articles/10-marvellously-mundane-cars-to-get-you-mildly-excited-about-the-2022-hagerty-festival-of-the-unexceptional/

Didn’t get close enough to see model but saw a 1977 bronze Austin when out earlier (I memorised number plate as I was almost home and looked it up)

So 1977 would have been an Allegro, a Maxi or an 18/22 Series. Can't think of another Austin from that year.

Cheers, had a Google and think it’s an Allegro :)

Don’t know what it is with old cars, I’m not a car buff at all, for me they’re purely functional, but I do like seeing the old ones on the road

Don’t know what it is with old cars, I’m not a car buff at all, for me they’re purely functional, but I do like seeing the old ones on the road

Ditto for me - I don't even drive. Part of it I think is a nostalgia thing; on visiting my folks a couple of years ago I saw someone driving around the same Ford Orion F-reg I walked past every day for school (I still remember the number plate) and wondering if it was still the same driver, and that's what piqued my interest in this thread in the first place. Part of it's an aesthetic thing, because IMHO even if I don't like the individual designs, there was at least a lot more variation in styling up until the 90s. But mostly I think I like the fact that there's a bunch of people out there who've got a stubborn attachment to an object and even if it's not especially beautiful they still don't treat the cars - especially what were once everyday ones - as disposable assets.

Ditto for me - I don't even drive. Part of it I think is a nostalgia thing; on visiting my folks a couple of years ago I saw someone driving around the same Ford Orion F-reg I walked past every day for school (I still remember the number plate) and wondering if it was still the same driver, and that's what piqued my interest in this thread in the first place. Part of it's an aesthetic thing, because IMHO even if I don't like the individual designs, there was at least a lot more variation in styling up until the 90s. But mostly I think I like the fact that there's a bunch of people out there who've got a stubborn attachment to an object and even if it's not especially beautiful they still don't treat the cars - especially what were once everyday ones - as disposable assets.
I am a petrol head, I've been one for years. I come at this from a different direction, perhaps. But I thoroughly understand your point.

Modern cars don't really grab me the way earlier ones do.

My favourite period is the 70s. In those days I could identify any car, and a lot of them by their engine note.

I am a petrol head, I've been one for years. I come at this from a different direction, perhaps. But I thoroughly understand your point.

Modern cars don't really grab me the way earlier ones do.

My favourite period is the 70s. In those days I could identify any car, and a lot of them by their engine note.

I think moving to London put me off cars for good; no-one drives here, there's too much traffic. The thought of learning to drive here filled me with a vague sense of terror that I've never really gotten over.

I did wonder if the whole "old cars prettier than new cars" thing was just an old fogey affectation akin to "kids' music these days is just noise" or if there really is just very little differentiation between most car designs these days. Probably my favourite period was the 50s and 60s - the XK140 I posted a while back is up there as one of my all-time favourites (I regard it as even prettier than the E-Type).

Back
Top Bottom