Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

You can imagine someone in the marketing department suggesting they should think along the lines of VW Scirocco or Maserati with their Ghibli and Khamsin for the name and then just giving up.

Mistral would have been better. Actually anything would have been better

Just discovered this place not far from Derby. Amongst the classics you can drive there are a few Austin's, sadly not a Princess A tour through British motoring history
I had a Princess, for a couple of months. The 1970s sort.

My uncle had a guest house near Heathrow, where I was working one summer uni holidays. Some American tourists came to stay the night before their flight home. They had flown into Glasgow, bought the Princess for not a lot, then driven around the country visiting places. Not a bad plan and I think they were planning to sell it when they got down to Heathrow. Anyway, they had a prang - nothing serious but the body work was badly fecked, so a quick sale was unlikely - they offered it to my uncle, and he kindly offered to take it to the scrap yard for them.

Result was I had a free car for a couple of months, which was handy, though I distinctly remember regularly incurring the wrath of other drivers for failing to indicate, simply because the right hand indicators didn't work. I gave it up when I went back to uni. I think my uncle hung onto it for a year or so, in case he got around to fixing it up, but I didn't want it.

This came up on my feed.

F24A6A53-DC62-4E19-9185-71B8C4CBDDF5.jpeg

I remember the first time I saw one was in France in the 60s. I fell in love with their weird quirkiness.

This was my favourite though. What style for 1964 compared to U.K. cars of the same period.

0CC247D1-F2C3-4918-8C09-32B79011EA72.jpeg

I‘d be surprised if anyone remembers them even in France.

Back
Top Bottom