Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not going to be doable for me. I bought some almond butter which I guess is just a fancy way of saying almond paste :D

It's quite nice and certainly better than that nutella shit I can't eat anyway. So I have that on my flax muffin instead of actual cheese right now.

I just call it 'nutter' ;)

I don't know what your story is and whether you're vegan or have been such for long but eventually I found that lost interest in cheese altogether. But we badly need a master list of vegan things to put on toast that don't require prep/cooking.
The best 'cheese' I've had was something my partner and I made for Christmas out of walnuts, miso, nutritional yeast and some other stuff. It wasn't too laboursome, cut neatly into rounds and even omnivores thought it was the dog's bollocks.

I'm am unconcerned about bacteria from soil or manure on my veg, just like I am unconcerned about acceptable somatic cell counts in milk.

There are vast numbers of bacteria around us and trillions live inside us. In fact there's some evidence that early exposure to some of these help us build up immunity - for example children who are around animals (including pets) tend to have more resilient immune systems.

As long as you take sensible precautions, you're minimising the risk.

Do you think a bit of blood is going to put off meat eaters?
What do you think that red stuff that comes out of raw meat is? Strawberry jam? :D
Do you think everyone who drinks cow's milk is a red meat eater? <pathetic smiley here>
Do you want to keep going and going?

I just call it 'nutter' ;)

I don't know what your story is and whether you're vegan or have been such for long but eventually I found that lost interest in cheese altogether. But we badly need a master list of vegan things to put on toast that don't require prep/cooking.
The best 'cheese' I've had was something my partner and I made for Christmas out of walnuts, miso, nutritional yeast and some other stuff. It wasn't too laboursome, cut neatly into rounds and even omnivores thought it was the dog's bollocks.
I'm not a vegan but i am willing to re examine my animal product intake. So i'm trying to cut back on dairy and red meat especially. I still want to eat fish however. Besides any improvements that can save money is always good. I do feel better on animal food, can't lie. Maybe I just don't eat enough of anything else. But I'm not a carnivore and find those people (most of them have revealed themselves to be utter cranks during covid) awful

I also like both nuts and cheese.

I’ve had cashew “cheese” that was quite nice, but it was a long way off being actual cheese. Went well on chips, though.

These aren’t cheap but some of it looks interesting:

nuts and cheese go well togther, nuts can be a bit dry alone. I usually have walnuts with my flax muffin or omellette.

Do you think everyone who drinks cow's milk is a red meat eater? <pathetic smiley here>
Who exactly are these cow milk drinkers that don't eat red meat?

You do realise that chicken and even fish have blood in them don't you?

If these people are that bothered about a tiny bit of blood in their milk perhaps they should go fully animal product free.

As ever, though, yours is a purely emotional reaction. You have a disgust response to the idea of blood or puss or whatever in your food and you post that reaction up as if it were somehow more significant than just your own personal sense of disgust. Editor does the same thing when he bangs on about sinews and whatever when describing meat.

I'm not having a go at you for having that disgust reaction. But you should recognise it for what it is. Other people aren't evil or wrong if they don't share it.

Didn’t mean you ftr. This thread is full of it though.
You're the worst one on this thread for over reactionary behaviour by my reckoning so far, The usual self-righteous finger pointing behaviour from any one who doesn't agree with your mantra. One of the reasons I never engage with these threads to be honest. You responded in kind to that poster at least own your words back peddler ;)

You're the worst one on this thread for over reactionary behaviour by my reckoning so far, The usual self-righteous finger pointing behaviour from any one who doesn't agree with your mantra. One of the reasons I never engage with these threads to be honest. You responded in kind to that poster at least own your words back peddler ;)
If you reckon I’m in the same league as editor I’ll take that as a medal :p

Who exactly are these cow milk drinkers that don't eat red meat?

You do realise that chicken and even fish have blood in them don't you?

If these people are that bothered about a tiny bit of blood in their milk perhaps they should go fully animal product free.
You’ve heard of vegetarians right?
So widespread you’ll find labels on restaurant menus and in supermarkets marking products which have dairy but not meat in them?

It's only dead blood cells and bacteria. It's not going to kill you.
As I explained above it’s not even just the fact that there’s blood and pus in milk, it’s the fact that milk needs to be screened for the levels & if there weren’t levels set for it to be marketable a lot more of it would go to waste. It’s incredible to me how some people can learn the background information and still be fine with consuming this stuff.

Not that it’s possible to educate people about this when they’re so defensive anyway, if any of us started listing all the repulsive cruel things which are part and parcel of the meat and dairy industries there’d just be a torrent of abuse and ridicule by response. Because admitting you care about it is to be mocked, and sharing the information is sanctimonious. Or something. The psychology of it would be intriguing if it wasn’t so boringly familiar.

As I explained above it’s not even just the fact that there’s blood and pus in milk, it’s the fact that milk needs to be screened for the levels & if there weren’t levels set for it to be marketable a lot more of it would go to waste. It’s incredible to me how some people can learn the background information and still be fine with consuming this stuff.

Not that it’s possible to “educate” people about this when they’re so defensive anyway, if any of us started listing all the repulsive cruel things which are part and parcel of the meat and dairy industries there’d just be a torrent of abuse and ridicule by response. Because admitting you care about it is to be mocked, and sharing the information is sanctimonious. Or something. The psychology of it would be intriguing if it wasn’t so boringly familiar.

See post #1268. This thread can just be done by post referencing really.

The arrogance of some vegetabalists who think they’re the only people who know what’s in milk or meat production, and were put on Earth to educate everyone else, is astounding.

Last edited:

The arrogance of some vegetabalists who think they’re the only people who know what’s in milk or meat production, and were put on Earth to educate everyone else, is astounding.
I'd know nothing about it if it wasn't for a bloke on the Internet posting "plant based news" articles...... :facepalm:

I've been trying to correct misconceptions throughout the thread (I guess some have seen it as supporting bad practice), from the bizarre "plants don't need fertilising" to trying to explain that broiler companies are incredibly profit hungry and therefore whilst they may cut corners around their manure storage and thus some might leach into waterways, they definitely don't dump it because its a saleable product that they sell for fertiliser.

I've literally just watched tons of the stuff being incorporated after winter wheat in the field behind my house. It's weird when "Internet experts" are telling you that something you are watching and have seen for years "doesn't happen".

Last edited:
The dangers of vegetables from the soil:

Anthrax
Clostridium Botulinum (botulism)
Salmonella
E. coli
Listeria
B. cereus
Norovirus

They are extensively treated with chemicals, are soaked in animal excreta and contain a dizzying array of toxins they have evolved to protect themselves.

Please don't eat vegetables, grains or fruit; they are vile, vile sinks of disease and horror.

I'm not a vegan but i am willing to re examine my animal product intake. So i'm trying to cut back on dairy and red meat especially. I still want to eat fish however. Besides any improvements that can save money is always good. I do feel better on animal food, can't lie. Maybe I just don't eat enough of anything else. But I'm not a carnivore and find those people (most of them have revealed themselves to be utter cranks during covid) awful

Good on you! My partner's the same, cutting down here and there, except for fish. I know it can be a struggle, balancing without going fully 0% or 100%, but flexitarians are vital in changing the food industry and, by extension, the world.

The dangers of vegetables from the soil:

Anthrax
Clostridium Botulinum (botulism)
Salmonella
E. coli
Listeria
B. cereus
Norovirus

They are extensively treated with chemicals, are soaked in animal excreta and contain a dizzying array of toxins they have evolved to protect themselves.

Please don't eat vegetables, grains or fruit; they are vile, vile sinks of disease and horror.

Makes blood and pus sound relatively appealing.

If we know what goes on and still eat meat/drink milk, we must be evil monsters. Or we're really stupid or we're deep in denial. Or we're some combination of all three.

There's a strong whiff of moral superiority. Omnivores should respect the dietary decisions and principles of vegans/veggies, but this respect isn't reciprocated, and why should it be?

You’ve heard of vegetarians right?
So widespread you’ll find labels on restaurant menus and in supermarkets marking products which have dairy but not meat in them?
The handful of vegetarians I know don't eat meat at all. Isn't that the point of vegetarianism?

If you are vegetarian because of the cruelty to animals then I don't see why you would want to drink milk anyway considering half the calves are slaughtered to provide the milk in the first place. :hmm:

The handful of vegetarians I know don't eat meat at all. Isn't that the point of vegetarianism?

If you are vegetarian because of the cruelty to animals then I don't see why you would want to drink milk anyway considering half the calves are slaughtered to provide the milk in the first place. :hmm:
Yes. Your argument was that no one would drink milk but not eat meat. It was pointed out that that's exactly what a vegetarian does.

Good on you! My partner's the same, cutting down here and there, except for fish. I know it can be a struggle, balancing without going fully 0% or 100%, but flexitarians are vital in changing the food industry and, by extension, the world.
Thanks,

it is hard finding good substitudes. I've no idea if it's healthy to eat tofu all the time, though I don't believe in all that soy boy crap. Just a toxic macho meme the carnivore clowns have created. Not eating wheat rules out quite a lot though. I found Tempeh in tesco but I wouldn't call it super cheap and unfortunately while there is more plant based stuff on sale than ever before, most of what's on the shelves is the vegan equivalent of ready meals and junk food (IMVHO)

Interesting - end encouraging - stats here. Great that so many young people are giving up on meat.

Currently, 14% of adults in the UK (7.2 million) are following a meat-free diet.
A further 8.8 million Brits plan to go meat-free in 2022 (the highest figure in 4 years).
This means that the UK could have a total of 16 million meat-free citizens at the beginning of 2023.
Just 2% of those who said they would give up meat in 2021 actually did so.
The most popular meat-free diet is vegetarianism with 3.3 million followers.
Younger generations are significantly more likely to follow a meat-free diet, with gen Z (aged 18 to 23) being the most likely to avoid meat already (25%) and plan on giving it up (30%) in 2022.

1662635091748.png

How many people in the UK are vegetarian, vegan or pescatarian in 2022?

According to our survey, 86% of the population currently eat meat in their diets.
This means that around 7.2 million British adults (14%) currently follow a meat-free diet.

How many vegetarians are there in the UK?

With around 3.3 million people in the UK (6%), the vegetarian diet remains the most common of the non-meat diets.

How many pescatarians are there in the UK?

The next most popular meat-free diet at the moment is the pescatarian diet, with around 2.4 million Brits (5%) opting for this diet. How many vegans are there in the UK?

Lastly, there are around 1.6 million people in the UK who are currently vegan (3%), a number which is growing rapidly.

How many people plan to give up meat in 2022?

Brits are once again optimistic about cutting meat out of their diets in 2022. 8.8 million of us plan to become vegetarian, vegan or pescatarian over the next 12 months – the highest figure recorded in the 4 years that we’ve been running this research.

While our previous research suggests it is very unlikely that everyone will stick to these intentions, if they did, the UK would have a total of 16 million meat-free citizens at the beginning of 2023.

Which generation eats the least meat?

There is a clear age divide when it comes to views on eating meat. Our studies show that those aged 18 to 23 (generation Z) are currently the most meat-free generation.

A quarter (25%) of generation Z said that they currently go without meat by following a pescatarian, vegetarian or vegan diet.

This is a slight increase from last year’s most meat-free generation, millennials (24-42), of which 20% had adopted either a pescatarian, vegetarian or vegan diet.

Millennials are not far behind this survey – currently 18% follow a meat-free diet and they could be joined by an additional 27% throughout 2022. 9.6% are already following a different type of diet outside the main 3 meat-free diets. Just 1 in 10 (11%) of the silent generation (aged 74+) avoid meat and only 5% plan to do so in 2022.

Source: How many vegetarians and vegans are in the UK?

Yes, I didn’t know about how interlinked the industries are nor how hideously cruel dairy is. I was vegetarian for about 10 years before learning, and changed what I eat once I knew.

Thanks,

it is hard finding good substitudes. I've no idea if it's healthy to eat tofu all the time, though I don't believe in all that soy boy crap. Just a toxic macho meme the carnivore clowns have created. Not eating wheat rules out quite a lot though. I found Tempeh in tesco but I wouldn't call it super cheap and unfortunately while there is more plant based stuff on sale than ever before, most of what's on the shelves is the vegan equivalent of ready meals and junk food (IMVHO)

It's probably fine, I mean I'm not sure a mono anything diet is a great idea, but you don't actually have to eat it all the time of course. There are a lot of things that you can do with other protein sources... Chickpeas to hummus, falafel etc. Sri Lankan cuisine has some good curries with cashews (although they're ethically terrible). Nut pastes/butters in general can be used in various things; curry bases, dipping sauces (e.g satay or muhammara), smoothies etc. You can also obviously just massively cut down meat consumption and, e.g, break down a chicken per month or something. Personally think fish is one of the least ethical things you can eat (depending on source), I've never quite got why people seem to think it's an intermediate ethical step.

Maybe go back and read what you wrote again. You've lost the thread of what you're arguing about.

It’s not hard. A certain poster referred to consumers of RED meat. That specifically excludes chicken and fish. WouldBe responded to a sloppy question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom