Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like they're only available online and perhaps in some London-based vegan delis (guessing about the latter). We're talking about £4+ per 100g (plus delivery). I've been eyeing them but damn, that's expensive.
It's weird, Americans have them in supermarkets but they somehow haven't made it to the UK, even though there is so much demand.
Yeah it’s mega expensive. There’s a small chain of health food shops that have it round here, they mark things down where they’re near date so I have tried them. Nice but not amazing? I wouldn’t pay full price for them. One of those things it’d be cool to learn how to do yourself. If I had unlimited time, and maybe a better blender.

Interesting post about oatly oat milk from a coffee shop that I visited a while back in Fort William.

When I visited them I'd ordered a pot of tea and was waiting for my wife to join me when the tea came and I asked for some milk for mine. The waitress told me didn't do cows milk and offered me some sort of 'not-milk' so when the wife arrived I crossed the road and purchased a pint of cow juice from shop opposite. I had no idea it was a vegan cafe until they tried to thrust their alternative lifestyle into my roseylee. :)

Interesting post about oatly oat milk from a coffee shop that I visited a while back in Fort William.

When I visited them I'd ordered a pot of tea and was waiting for my wife to join me when the tea came and I asked for some milk for mine. The waitress told me didn't do cows milk and offered me some sort of 'not-milk' so when the wife arrived I crossed the road and purchased a pint of cow juice from shop opposite. I had no idea it was a vegan cafe until they tried to thrust their alternative lifestyle into my roseylee. :)
Omg do you really take offence at getting oat milk for your cuppa when you go to a vegan cafe
That’s next level

That’s not what’s under discussion. What’s being discussed is vegans or veg-heads putting non-dairy milk into other people’s drinks without telling them.

If you think that’s ok you’re an idiot.
Actually it is what was being discussed. I believe editor mentioned serving cups of tea to guests at his house.

If you knew someone was vegan and you went to their place for a cup of tea would you actually expect to be served cow milk?

The entire conversation is epic level ridiculous.
If I went to a vegetarian's place for a cup of tea I'd expect dairy milk. Or even a carnist's house that for whatever reason drank plant milk but just didn't think to mention if it was a nut milk they were using. Anyone could make that mistake, host just not realising about allergies in a splash of milk which you'd think is quite innocuous. Better to just tell people, it's not that big of a faff.

The discussion expanded to plant milk, discussions expand sometimes, this time usefully I think.
Expanding into some alternate dimension where rabid vegans are going around randomly sneaking non dairy milk into random strangers’ food/drink is bizarre strawman extrapolation tho

If I went to a vegetarian's place for a cup of tea I'd expect dairy milk. Or even a carnist's house that for whatever reason drank plant milk but just didn't think to mention if it was a nut milk they were using. Anyone could make that mistake, host just not realising about allergies in a splash of milk which you'd think is quite innocuous. Better to just tell people, it's not that big of a faff.
All seems like stating the blindingly obvious to me, except with the usual level of madly pro-carnist shitposting that any thread mentioning veganism attracts.

Omg do you really take offence at getting oat milk for you cuppa when you go to a vegan cafe
That’s next level

Where did I take offence nobjob?. I politely declined ("Nae Bovva") and made my own arrangements.

If you read what I'd written you will see I had no idea it was a vegan gaff I just sat at a table and ordered some tea. It just looked like a nice cafe to me.

FTR I've had tea with oat spunk and almond jizz in and it doesn't taste right to me. It's my personal choice ;)

Last edited:
Omg do you really take offence at getting oat milk for your cuppa when you go to a vegan cafe
That’s next level
Did you read the link btw, that was my point of posting. I'm on their mailing list and read it with interest. I recall some oatly issues with oat milk company shenanigans

Expanding into some alternate dimension where rabid vegans are going around randomly sneaking non dairy milk into random strangers’ food/drink is bizarre strawman extrapolation tho
People posting that they've given workmen (sic) non-dairy milk and that the people in question didn't notice is the context here. Boasting about something that in reality is a bit thoughtless and rude. I suggest you reread the thread.

Re: cows/goats milk not being "meant" for humans. Animals are "meant" to consume whatever they can successfully digest and derive nutrition from, usually by evolutionary processes. You might reasonably argue that an anteater was "meant" to eat ants because it has become adapted to do so through evolution.

If you are saying that humans are not "meant" to eat dairy because the cow/goat didn't intend you to, then you presumably don't eat anything apart from fruit. Seeds (grains, beans etc) were "meant" to grow into new plants. Root veg was "meant" to store nutrients to help the plant grow next year, leaf veg was "meant" to provide the plant nutrients through photosynthesis.

If you are not lactose intolerant then you are specifically evolutionarily adapted to digest lactose, indeed, it's one of the most recent examples of human evolution.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128117200000015

Re: cows/goats milk not being "meant" for humans. Animals are "meant" to consume whatever they can successfully digest and derive nutrition from, usually by evolutionary processes. You might reasonably argue that an anteater was "meant" to eat ants because it has become adapted to do so through evolution.

If you are saying that humans are not "meant" to eat dairy because the cow/goat didn't intend you to, then you presumably don't eat anything apart from fruit. Seeds (grains, beans etc) were "meant" to grow into new plants. Root veg was "meant" to store nutrients to help the plant grow next year, leaf veg was "meant" to provide the plant nutrients through photosynthesis.

If you are not lactose intolerant then you are specifically evolutionarily adapted to digest lactose, indeed, it's one of the most recent examples of human evolution.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128117200000015
Being the expert don't you know how much hormones and chemicals and pus and blood are in cow's milk??
Are those things in veg too??

The kind that tastes like actual cheese?
The kind that tastes nice. I like nuts and I like cheese.

Seems like they're only available online and perhaps in some London-based vegan delis (guessing about the latter). We're talking about £4+ per 100g (plus delivery). I've been eyeing them but damn, that's expensive.
It's weird, Americans have them in supermarkets but they somehow haven't made it to the UK, even though there is so much demand.
That's not going to be doable for me. I bought some almond butter which I guess is just a fancy way of saying almond paste :D

It's quite nice and certainly better than that nutella shit I can't eat anyway. So I have that on my flax muffin instead of actual cheese right now.

Being the expert don't you know how much hormones and chemicals and pus and blood are in cow's milk??
Are those things in veg too??
You do understand that cell counts have to be taken from milk before it enters the supply chain, don't you?

Either way, it is, in this instance milk that non lactose intolerant humans have evolved to digest, presumably containing far higher cell counts than in modern times.

Of course veg are covered in bacteria, they came out of soil fertilised with shite, quick wash, they'll be fine.
And yes, milk, like everything else on the planet consists of chemicals.

Last edited:
Also, seems Haarlem hasn't banned the advertising of meat at all, just meat that doesn't meet the Dutch "biological" standards, which apparently are something like:
"Biological feed is produced without the use of chemicals, hormones, antibiotics, or genetic modification. A biological product can have no artificial additives."

Apologies if slightly inaccurate, Google translate.

Haarlem verbiedt reclames voor vlees in openbare ruimte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom