Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you need to? If people were asked if they want milk most would assume it was cows milk. :facepalm:
“Would you like milk with that? It came from a cow”

:hmm:
Not those exact words but generally speaking when I’m offered a cup of tea it comes with either an offer of milk specifying they’ve got vegan milk, or warning/apologising if they’ve only got cow’s milk.

If someone’s round my house for a cuppa I generally know them well enough to be aware of their dietary needs.

Hazelnut milk obviously not great for people with nut allergies
Do you think perhaps editor’s guests might have mentioned it if they have allergies?

Speaking for myself here, but I’m not running a catering service. It’s small scale social in my home. If people have a problem ingesting certain substances they tend to mention it when food or drink is on offer.

wtf. I mean, it's a small thing but not telling people what you're feeding them seems a bit off. My sister in law is insanely gluten intolerant, and while tbh she generally makes sure everyone knows it I don't know if she would if she was just having a brew, which is generally assumed to be a gluten free item.

People are wankers about plant milks, but I don't think that's a reason for not telling them you're feeding it to them.

Do you think perhaps editor’s guests might have mentioned it if they have allergies?

Speaking for myself here, but I’m not running a catering service. It’s small scale social in my home. If people have a problem ingesting certain substances they tend to mention it when food or drink is on offer.
My mother has gluten intolerance and would not usually worry about the prospect of her cup of tea containing gluten.

Babies and people have allergies to all sorts of things, but that wasn't the question I asked though, so I'll ask again:

I wonder how many people in the UK have actually suffered an adverse health reaction from unknowingly drinking tea with oat milk in it?
Dunno. It's odd for you to mention whattabouttery, though, when you're the one pointing at baby allergies.

Seems to me to be basic manners to tell people what you're giving them. If you ask someone you don't know 'do you take milk?', there will be an underlying assumption for most people that you're talking about animal milk. 'I've only got oat milk, is that ok?' seems to me to be the right thing to say if the answer is 'yes'.

So no one can cite a single example of someone suffering any kind of serious health problems after some absolute rotter put in a bit of oat milk into their tea?

Perhaps we can dismiss this whataboutery from the usual suspects and get back to the discussion in hand?

wtf. I mean, it's a small thing but not telling people what you're feeding them seems a bit off. My sister in law is insanely gluten intolerant, and while tbh she generally makes sure everyone knows it I don't know if she would if she was just having a brew, which is generally assumed to be a gluten free item.
You'd think someone who is 'insanely gluten intolerant' would make it their business to tell people that before they prepare them any food or drink, no?

So no one can cite a single example of someone suffering any kind of serious health problems after some absolute rotter put in a bit of oat milk into their tea?

Perhaps we can dismiss this whataboutery from the usual suspects and get back to the discussion in hand?
Oat allergies are rare but exist. Babies can have allergies to a range of things - this is part of growing up. And on a general note, it's good form to tell people what you're feeding them.

That probably covers it.

It is a bit ironic, though, to hear people boasting how they've slipped milk substitutes past unsuspecting visitors. I would not dream of attempting to slip a vegan/veggie animal products on the sly.

It is a bit ironic, though, to hear people boasting how they've slipped milk substitutes past unsuspecting visitors. I would not dream of attempting to slip a vegan/veggie animal products on the sly.
Love the dramatic hyperbole, there.

Still waiting for all the documented, hard-hitting evidence of all these people suffering dire health consequences as a result of someone 'slipping' in a bit of oat milk into a cuppa when they came to visit.

(PS When I go around someone's house, I tell them that I don't take cow's milk. Strange how all these fictional people with awful oat milk allergies can't manage to express their preference, what with at least one in three Brits now drinking plant based milk).

That's totally different though. If someone gave me (a non vegan) tea with a non dairy milk in it. I wouldn't get cross at all. If I was a vegan and someone tricked me into drinking milk I'd be furious.

That's totally different though. If someone gave me (a non vegan) tea with a non dairy milk in it. I wouldn't get cross at all. If I was a vegan and someone tricked me into drinking milk I'd be furious.
I don't think it's totally different. I think it's a case of reciprocating consideration. It is thoughtless to give someone plant milk without checking with them first that they're ok with it. In many people's worlds, the word 'milk' refers to the secretion made by mammals, and that will be their default assumption when offered something called 'milk'.

if I had a nut allergy, i would generally think I was safe drinking a cup of tea & if someone tricked me into drinking hazelnut milk I would be furious

Health problems have to be serious to count?

Health problems have to be serious to count?
OK. Perhaps you can find ample documented evidence of health problems of even a minor nature arising from someone who had oat milk 'slipped' into their cuppa when they were visiting someone (and who presumably forgot to tell anyone about their allergy in advance).

Because if you can't, then this is one fucking giant sized piece of endless strawman whataboutery.

I don't think it's totally different. I think it's a case of reciprocating consideration. It is thoughtless to give someone plant milk without checking with them first that they're ok with it. In many people's worlds, the word 'milk' refers to the secretion made by mammals, and that will be their default assumption when offered something called 'milk'.
You're wrong, and if you were veggie or vegan you'd understand why.

What was the discussion in hand? I thought it was this. It is not whataboutery. You replied to Stavros and people replied to you. I'd suggest there was a difference between workmen who you likely don't know well and guests. Giving people something that could give them a shit day isn't really on. I'd done similar in the past thought about it after and decided it may not have been the best idea. Just because people don't nod along to every word you say doesn't make it whataboutery.

OK. Perhaps you can find ample documented evidence of health problems of even a minor nature arising from someone who had oat milk 'slipped' into their cuppa when they were visiting someone (and who presumably forgot to tell anyone about their allergy in advance).

Because if you can't, then this is one fucking giant sized piece of endless strawman whataboutery.
Well I saw earlier the Coeliac society see it as worth mentioning on their website. How would people know? They'd have their "nice cuppa" fuck off somewhere else and feel shit for a mysterious reason.

Editor isn't going to admit it here, but the next time he makes a stranger/new guest a cup of tea, he will tell them that it's oat milk.
Wow. We can add mind reading to your abilities now!
Any news on all these documented cases of people falling ill after imbibing a little bit of oat milk?

Well I saw earlier the Coeliac society see it as worth mentioning on their website. How would people know? They'd have their "nice cuppa" fuck off somewhere else and feel shit for a mysterious reason.
So if you had a medical need for gluten free products you wouldn't dream of mentioning it when someone went to make you a cup of tea? How strange.

So if you had a medical need for gluten free products you wouldn't dream of mentioning it when someone went to make you a cup of tea? How strange.
Why the fuck would you think it necessary to mention it for a cup of tea? Gluten isn't usually found in tea unless it's added by an inconsiderate wanker. :facepalm:

Perhaps in editor world people need to ask for gluten / nut free water as well. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom