Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How can you stay warm when...

How can you stay warm when...

• Total voters
you can have battery or other method strikers so its electric mains does not have to be on if main gas piped or from a butane stove

you be suprised with the lack of main gas line piped homes in even dublin

unless it was done quite a while ago its quite an expensive options for some coporation houses

Once the power cuts start and peoples freezers melt and the food spoiled, that's the riot times that even the toffs fear.

Camping stoves... it's the only safe backup

If the electricity went off, I'd be more bothered about the lack of power for my computer, as it's my primary source of entertainment. I've got a hoodie and a blanket I can wrap myself in. Also, since it's winter it gets dark stupidly early so reading would be out of the question too.

Nuclear waste does keep you warm, granted. Just look at Sellafield and it's forests of palm trees.

Sellafield has a nuclear fuel reprocessing plant. What's being sent there isn't waste, it's recycling.

Nuclear waste does keep you warm,
I read about some Russian farmers who went on a hunting trip in winter and found some strange electrical boxes that were warm. They snuggled up with them next to their fire for heat. Within days they were all ill and died horrible deaths from radiation poisoning as the nuclear batteries used to power some sort of remote signaling/switching device had just been left in the wilderness.

I read about some Russian farmers who went on a hunting trip in winter and found some strange electrical boxes that were warm. They snuggled up with them next to their fire for heat. Within days they were all ill and died horrible deaths from radiation poisoning as the nuclear batteries used to power some sort of remote signaling/switching device had just been left in the wilderness.

I'm not sure I believe that story, or something is missing. RTGs should be safe to be hang round near unless you do something stupid like dismantle it. Googling gives me loads of irrelevant results.

I'm not sure I believe that story, or something is missing. RTGs should be safe to be hang round near unless you do something stupid like dismantle it. Googling gives me loads of irrelevant results.
Alpha particles go only a few inches in air.
For Beta, fairly thin sheet metal ...

The usual source for RTGs is an alpha emitter ...
so unless the casing & shielding were damaged or dismantled, then I don't really believe this story.

Ha. I just Googled it as well and now have the Wiki page on RTGs open.

Also agreed, electricity cut off would mean no entertainment, information, communication for me. Well and no hot food, easy laundering etc. The cold would be the least of it.

Alpha particles go only a few inches in air.
For Beta, fairly thin sheet metal ...

The usual source for RTGs is an alpha emitter ...
so unless the casing & shielding were damaged or dismantled, then I don't really believe this story.

Looked up the Wiki article for this incident, turned out that two Strontium-90 RTGs had been left abandoned by their former operators, with no warning signs and in a partially dismantled state that left their cores exposed. So when the guys started effectively hugging it, closer than they would have otherwise since the cooling fins had been removed, they got a nasty dose. What didn't help was the lack of recognition from the medics of their symptoms.

I had to put on my hoodie this morning, I wouldn't mind having an RTG in a corner of the room.

My upgrades this winter are a fleece / quilted body warmer, one or two extra tee shirts and slippers ...
I probably also need to experiment with cheap base layers and I definitely need a fleecy long-sleeved top or two ...
And walking in the park on massively cold days I need some sort of Ninja balaclava - but I'm afraid I might get mistaken for a serial killer ... :hmm:

My main downgrade is that I no longer cycle home from work and get warmed up that way ...

I would have to keep warm with coats and bedding but I am on the third floor of a block that is well insulated, so wouldn’t suffer too bad

very fine knit, merino wool, leggings, vests, long-sleeve T shirts, that sort of thing?
some probably a blend of merino and polyester or something.
they must work for some people, they're manufactured and sold in great quantities. maybe other people don't mind the texture. I found it itchy and scratchy, thoroughly unbearable.

old cashmere jumpers are my gardening base layers. A decent merino knit is OK, tbh, but nothing really beats holey, multiply laundered ancient cashmere.
Sweetheart has just been given a Cowichan jumper (beloved of 1980s Starsky and Hutch TV). The original Cowichans were knitted from dogwool. The Salish Coast dog...a sort of North American native large hairy dog, was combed and spun into the distinctive, shawl-necked sweaters which always feature symbols representing native peoples iconography (nature, animals etc.). Now just knit from sheep wool with additional alpaca, Bloody warm, if a little retro.

We'd have to get the fire place sorted out, we've never used it for a fire in the 25 years we've lived here .

Back
Top Bottom