Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How can you stay warm when...

How can you stay warm when...

• Total voters
I should add that you do probably need a base level of warmth from radiators; letting your pipes freeze will lead to hassle.
But some folk want places to feel like the equator. It’s horrible for me personally.

We've only got electric heating so if that goes, we're fucked. I'll be filling up thermos flasks in the staff room at work and bringing them back for hot water bottles.

Still, at least I can't see any wind turbines from my house. That's the most important thing.

I've plenty thermals.
And if the electricity is not cut and gas cut off we would be fine.
It's when the electricity is cut off that I'm most worried about.
The governement and electric Ireland are saying there will be cuts because 2 of the power plants are closing. And the wind energy created is not enough to beidge3the gap.

If electricity goes...we have gas for cooking and heating.
Thermals.
Wooly jumpers.
Layers...all grand.
And we can stay in the kitchen and sittingroom.

The concern would be that gas is cut at the same time as electricity.

In that case there wont be any heating. And it'll be bloody awful.

Gas and electric cut off throughout the winter sounds rather challenging. What you’re saying does sound like a worst case scenario. Those little camping stoves are quite useful. Especially if you get a few extra bottles of gas. Are you worried about you or worried about other people?

Gas and electric cut off throughout the winter sounds rather challenging. What you’re saying does sound like a worst case scenario. Those little camping stoves are quite useful. Especially if you get a few extra bottles of gas. Are you worried about you or worried about other people?

I'm worried about my elderly parents who are in their 80s
Both have heart failure. They need to be warm. Usually the place is cosy ... probably a lot warmer than I can stand but they find it just right.

I am probably worrying too much.
Hopefully there wont be a need to cut electricity this winter.

I'm worried about my elderly parents who are in their 80s
Both have heart failure. They need to be warm. Usually the place is cosy ... probably a lot warmer than I can stand but they find it just right.

I am probably worrying too much.
Hopefully there wont be a need to cut electricity this winter.
Oh gosh they do sound like a worry, but I do also think you might be worrying too much.
Do you really believe that the gas and electric will be cut off where you live this winter? Are they able to tell you what they would do if there was no gas or electric?
In my limited experience, old people have lived through an assortment of privations and have lots of useful advice. My mum was full of opinions; my husbands dad not so much as he had dementia.

Oh gosh they do sound like a worry, but I do also think you might be worrying too much.
Do you really believe that the gas and electric will be cut off where you live this winter? Are they able to tell you what they would do if there was no gas or electric?
In my limited experience, old people have lived through an assortment of privations and have lots of useful advice. My mum was full of opinions; my husbands dad not so much as he had dementia.

Its the first time since the 70s that there are warnings about shortages and power cuts. And this time its because the government closed the peat burning power stations and coal burning station. Whilst relying on 2 other power stations and wind farms. The demand for electricity is huge. And they are now saying that there will be cuts.
They have said they will prioritise hospitals and homes.

But that doesnt guarantee they won't cut electricity at maybe off peak times.

And then you read about issues with natural gas which will impact on Ireland

• Sad
Reactions: Ax^
There's one hydroelectric power station..
Peat is gone...pretty much. Oil on the way out. Coal gone.
There are more than four but some are being decommissioned because they burn coal and oil and the government signed up to cutting those...climate change etc.

Unfortunately they didnt think to look at consistent alternatives. Wind is just not condistent enough despite massive expenditure.

The recent problems seem to be because of technical problems / breakdowns. And decommissioning.

Ideally a nuclear power station would be a solid option.

This is interesting - the overall demand is a lot lower than the UK - Ireland currently running around 4.3GW, while the UK about 31GW. UK is exporting small amounts of power across the Irish Sea.

UK grid dashboard

Back
Top Bottom