Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That should have read:
'Their excuses include the following whataboutery:'
Because that really is some top shelf whataboutery, and a whole lot of nonsense.
How is killing something to stop it eating your food morally superior to killing something to eat it? I'd argue that it's actually quite the opposite. At least we share the inedible (to us) bits of our food with the animals before eating them. while you prefer to just kill them, no questions asked. You probably don't even care that it might not have eaten your food. The fact that it was nearby was justification enough to kill it.
No matter how you try to sugar coat it, your lifestyle choice results in as many deaths as a meat eater's. That doesn't make you morally superior, it makes you a hypocrite.
Killed and mostly put/left somewhere to rot (rabbits, pigeon and deer excepted).

Or:

At least 100 mice are killed per hectare per year (500/4 × 0.8) to grow grain. Average yields are about 1.4 tonnes of wheat/hectare; 13% of the wheat is useable protein. Therefore, at least 55 sentient animals die to produce 100kg of useable plant protein: 25 times more than for the same amount of rangelands beef.

The vegetarian dilemma.

Well yes, but less controversially thousands of woodpigeons are shot over crops and there is now no closed season for munjac because they are everywhere and expanding at an alarming rate. The guy I buy deer from can't shoot enough deer (in season - roe, sika and fallow too). I can buy an entire, decent sized sika off him for about £30 (head off, skin on) and butcher it myself. Feeds me and nipper for nearly a month.

To add - the guys growing maize in the forest of dean often now have to shoot an inordinate number of wild boar too. Although, to be clear these are not true "wild boar" they are across between a commercial pig and a wild boar that "escaped" when a big wild boar farm went bust and therefore can have multiple litters a year of up to 10 piglets wheras true wild boar breed once a year and have much smaller litters. I think George Monbiot got his knickers in a twist about it thinking they were killing some rare, native species, but he's a fucking idiot, as previously discussed.

Last edited:
Or:

At least 100 mice are killed per hectare per year (500/4 × 0.8) to grow grain. Average yields are about 1.4 tonnes of wheat/hectare; 13% of the wheat is useable protein. Therefore, at least 55 sentient animals die to produce 100kg of useable plant protein: 25 times more than for the same amount of rangelands beef.

The vegetarian dilemma.
He makes good points. I slightly disagree with the end point. Producing the least suffering is surely more to the point than minimising deaths. Not the same thing.

But none of these utilitarian accounting systems works. They are not a good guide to action.

You appear not to have understood my point. Directing readers to various norms that have changed over time does not in and of itself provide evidence that this norm (whatever it may be; in this case, the norm that it's ok to eat meat) is going to change. That's a mistake in logic, not good for a wannabe philosopher. There are plenty of examples of people advocating a minority position that is against the norm whose desired change in norms has not happened. It's a non-argument. The whole of that piece is a non-argument really, with some unexamined ageism thrown in for good measure.

Needless to say, I don’t think you’re representing the article accurately. They never say any particular norm change is inevitable and the focus isn’t really even to say that any given norm change is desirable now, but rather to draw attention to some of the cognitive biases that prevent people from being receptive and open to arguments for norm change. I'd hope that even if we disagree on the vegan issue we'd agree that broad mindedness and self-awareness is important for moral progress.

'the meat industry' is premised on the growing of animals in order to kill and eat them. When you turn that into 'systemic disregard for animal life', you are adding your own layer of commentary. Not sure you're aware that you are doing this. You've dodged previous questions about Temple Grandin and her work on abbatoirs. Is she wrong? Is she deluded? If so, why and how?

Killing somebody to make money from them shows disregard for their life. An industry built around killing large numbers of individuals to make money from them shows systemic disregard their lives. Can't speak to Grandin's motivations but her reform recommendations are concerned with improving animal welfare not showing any regard for animal life as such.

Mad that we've been through this so many times and you still appear not to understand farming.

(1) No they really aren't with the possible exception of hay/silage. Almost all ruminant feed is indigestible to humans. Its pig and poultry where the overlap is strongest.

(2) There's loads of deliberate killing in plant agriculture

And whilst this is a vegan morality - it is not higher or more superior to those who consider eating animals as food, because lots of animals do this. This is where the ego of the author (and yours) come into play. I've never said anybody who is vegan shouldn't be, but yet your religion considers me amoral and subhuman.

(1) How is that relevant to my point? Hay still has to be harvested and field animals will die as a result of the harvesting. Incidentally, a paper published just over two decades ago calculates that a diet (in the US) based on plant proteins would result in fewer wild animal deaths than even a omnivorous diet based only on consuming ruminants (and this calculation does not even factor in the issue of deaths for supplemental ruminant feed):

Davis suggests the number of wild animals killed per hectare in crop production (15) is twice that killed in ruminant-pasture (7.5). If this is true, then as long as crop production uses less than half as many hectares as ruminant-pasture to deliver the same amount of food, a vegetarian will kill fewer animals than an omnivore. In fact, crop production uses less than half as many hectares as grass-fed dairy and one-tenth as many hectares as grass-fed beef to deliver the same amount of protein. In one year, 1,000 kilograms of protein can be produced on as few as 1.0 hectares planted with soy and corn, 2.6 hectares used as pasture for grass-fed dairy cows, or 10 hectares used as pasture for grass-fed beef cattle (Vandehaar, 1998; UNFAO, 1996). As such, to obtain the 20 kilograms of protein per year recommended for adults, a vegan-vegetarian would kill 0.3 wild animals annually, a lacto-vegetarian would kill 0.39 wild animals, while a Davis- style omnivore would kill 1.5 wild animals. Thus, correcting Davis’s math, we see that a vegan-vegetarian population would kill the fewest number of wild animals, followed closely by a lacto-vegetarian population.

Another paper, published in 2007, shows that many of the field deaths that have been misattributed to harvesting equipment turn out to be caused by prey animals. Not denying that many animals die horribly in plant agriculture, but the number has been inflated by various pro-meat scholars and advocates as a stick to bash vegans with.

(2) Yes, there's deliberate killing in plant agriculture, I dealt with that in my point (3) - whilst I'd like to see it reduced and ideally one day eliminated I think its widely accepted in the human context that defensive killing is easier to justify than offensive killing. It's why some people are convicted for murder and others are acquitted for self-defence.

Again, this isn't to justify all forms of field animal killing - some of which is completely unjustified and unnecessary. But as a consumer, when you're making purchasing decisions, you are pretty in the dark about how many any particular plant product was procured (this recent paper suggests we lack even basic reliable data on field animal deaths in agriculture more broadly) . By contrast, you know with certainty that the meat involved killing. If you think killing animals for food is bad and you're confronted with two products - one you know involved killing and one that may have - then you are not a moral hypocrite for choosing the latter.

On your final point, I think it's strange to base human morality on what other animals do. Some animals eat other animals. So what? Dogs sniff each others' butts in the park, I don't think that's necessarily a good reason for humans to do it too.

(2) Yes, there's deliberate killing in plant agriculture, I dealt with that in my point (3) - whilst I'd like to see it reduced and ideally one day eliminated I think its widely accepted in the human context that defensive killing is easier to justify than offensive killing. It's why some people are convicted for murder and others are acquitted for self-defence.

So killing animals to grow veg is defensive killing?

It's an extremely weak argument.

Somehow there is a moral difference between killing an animal to stop it from eating something you want to eat and killing an animal in order to eat it.

I don't see it. And the comparison with a human context is also very weak. In a human context, intent is involved. In the animal context, it isn't. The animal eating crops doesn't intend to do something harmful to people. It doesn't care about people either way. It isn't attacking you in any way, and the idea that killing it is an act of defence is flimsy.

One is an animal that is eating something you want; the other is an animal that is something you want to eat.

In both cases, the animal ends up dead. In neither case was the animal in question harbouring any intentions towards people at all, malicious or otherwise.

Somehow there is a moral difference between killing an animal to stop it from eating something you want to eat and killing an animal in order to eat it.
I'd say it was morally worse. At least the farmed animal when killed is useful whereas the animal killed to protect crops is a waste of life. :(

I'd say it was morally worse. At least the farmed animal when killed is useful whereas the animal killed to protect crops is a waste of life. :(
This is the bit Jeff doesn't have an answer for, and probably why he refused comment on it when I said the same. He's cherry picking what he answers, because he's beginning to realise he's a hypocrite with a malfunctioning moral compass.

Certainly, morally, if you kill an animal, it's hard to make the case that it's wrong to eat it once you've killed it. So if we have to kill rabbits to protect crops, say, then why would we not eat them? Surely we should eat them, if we're trying to work out a morality for all this. (I don't think this is a good way of approaching the subject, btw. I don't think it addresses the question 'how should we farm?' in a useful way.)

You don't think human food supplies should be protected? I do...
So it's OK to kill animals, so long as you don't intend to eat them?

And don't give me that nonsense that vegans wish there was a way to grow food that didn't result in harming animals. I wish there was a way to eat steaks that didn't involve harming animals.

So it's OK to kill animals, so long as you don't intend to eat them?

And don't give me that nonsense that vegans wish there was a way to grow food that didn't result in harming animals. I wish there was a way to eat steaks that didn't involve harming animals.
I would say that I wouldn't eat the rabbits or rats that were killed in the process. You would.
I'm not seeing how this is problematic or inconsistent with anything the "less Meat" faction has posted here.

The ironic thing is, the more common methods to kill "vermin" result in terrible suffering; ie gassing, poisoning etc

Perhaps Jeff and bcuster need to sit around a warren with a captive bolt and stunner so at least they can give the same level of treatment than animals in abattoirs receive...

The ironic thing is, the more common methods to kill "vermin" result in terrible suffering; ie gassing, poisoning etc

Perhaps Jeff and bcuster need to sit around a warren with a captive bolt and stunner so at least they can give the same level of treatment than animals in abattoirs receive...
And people post pictures here of 'inhumane' treatment of animals, while rabbits and mice bleed from every orifice to protect their vegetables.

Not necessary. Human food supplies must be protected

Not necessary. Human food supplies must be protected
Why not boycott vegetables until this can be achieved more humanely?
Let's face it, it can already be achieved more humanely. It'll just mean vegetables will cost more, but you're OK with this, right? And you're going to boycott vegetables until it's done, right?

I'm satisfied with vermin removal procedures as they currently exist. I'm not a fanatic
You do seem somewhat confused. On the one hand you're admonishing those of us who eat meat, because of the cruelty involved, while on the other hand you espouse the cruelty involved in protecting your food from those pesky rabbits. Do you not see why someone might accuse you of hypocrisy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom