Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is there the political will to do anything on climate change?

Is there the political will to do anything on climate change?

• Total voters
Recycling and climate change are different issues though?
They are different issues but they are also linked. A lot of energy and oil is used to make plastic for example. then the recycling can use up a lot of energy and water.
It would be better to try and use biodegradable materials or even better consume less.

I can't imagine a mainstream politician challenging the mantra of "growth", something which as far as I'm aware can't really be tallied with addressing climatic and general environmental damage.

It's all rotten isn't it?
WWF are now promoting their "WWF shopping basket" based on their ideas of sustainability, in which, palm oil is apparently now fine...

Who's now the chairman of the WWF?
Ex Tesco CEO Dave Lewis....

Labour set to announce end of flagship £28bn green policy https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-68238090

It has now been reported that shortly before the abandonment of the Labour Party's pledge to spend £28bn a year on 'green investment', the shadow chancellor’s office accepted a financial donation from The Lord Donoughue (also known as Bernard Donoughue), a former director of The Global Warming Policy Foundation, 55 Tufton Street, London, SW1P 3QL:

Rachel Reeves accepted donation from climate sceptic days before dropping £28bn pledge

It's all rotten isn't it?
WWF are now promoting their "WWF shopping basket" based on their ideas of sustainability, in which, palm oil is apparently now fine...

Who's now the chairman of the WWF?
Ex Tesco CEO Dave Lewis....

I used to know a Dave Lewis who was a sound guy.

I’m just going to pretend maybe it’s him and the Tesco thing was an aberration.

Temperature records beat for all of the last 10 months, does anyone still believe we might actually stop our own self destruction? (I mean actually believe not state we will do something)
We know the politicians are full of shit, but imo so are the renewable energy companies, they will have done the maths and know its not gonna save us, its simply a business opportunity for them

Temperature records beat for all of the last 10 months, does anyone still believe we might actually stop our own self destruction? (I mean actually believe not state we will do something)
We know the politicians are full of shit, but imo so are the renewable energy companies, they will have done the maths and know its not gonna save us, its simply a business opportunity for them
Of all the people and institutions to blame, you pick the renewable energy companies?

There's plenty of maths out there on the transition from fossil fuels. It can be done, but not without some profound social and economic changes. It's all about power and entrenched interests, not technology.

Of all the people and institutions to blame, you pick the renewable energy companies?

There's plenty of maths out there on the transition from fossil fuels. It can be done, but not without some profound social and economic changes. It's all about power and entrenched interests, not technology.

We need to stop digging up fossil fuels and burning them, but instead we just seem to export emissions instead. I was told the other day that most countries don't take international aviation properly into account when they calculate their emissions because it crosses borders (I can't find a source for this at the moment though).

This is quite grim reading: The ‘elephant in the room’ that risks exposing Britain’s net zero agenda

"Net Zero" is total bollocks - we should be aiming for an absolute zero, admittedly, this could be harder to achieve in agriculture, for example because we do rely on fossil fuel based fertilisers at the moment and any transition out of those has to be done in such a way that people don't starve/are effectively priced out of buying food.
In theory, lots of transport should be a piece of piss - nobody much went on international holidays pre WW2, so we need to get our heads around most aviation being got rid of.

From a purely technical standpoint net zero is perfectly sensible - we need to both reduce emissions and store more carbon to come to an equilibrium. Absolute zero emissions is impossible, but a residual amount could be dealt with without further increasing warming

The problem with net zero is it's been used as an accounting trick to delay action. Rather than radical action to reduce emissions now, which should be the priority, assumptions are made that we can delay because some magical technology will store loads of carbon at some point in the future. The equation keeps being fiddled with to justify business as usual.

I still have hope that the global transition will speed up, but clearly not fast enough to avoid at least two degrees of warming. The future is going to be all about security of basic resources in places that are stable enough to cope. At one time I'd have said the UK was well placed, but not now, and that's more to do with our failing society than anything directly to do with climate.

Let's face it, the global transition hasn't even begun yet, not beyond some tiny tinkering around the edges. Emissions have just about stopped growing year on year, perhaps. And that's it. What is needed is sharp year on year reduction and we're not even doing small year on year reduction.

The various lies and accounting tricks used by companies and countries are very depressing. We need to start with honesty about that - for example, you own the emissions of anything you use, whatever country it was made in. Then there's the bullshit marketing of various 'net zero' products. They are nothing of the kind.

But that's all marginal shit. The global will to take this seriously still isn't there. Easy stuff like clamping right down on gas leaks isn't even being done.

What needs to be done to counter climate change?
What effect will this have?
What effect will lesser actions have?

Back
Top Bottom