Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Climate Denial Books - should public libraries stock them?

That happens here too. Some libraries have a "library of things" where you can borrow power tools etc for a daily or weekly (very reasonable) rate. There's one near me.
Oh yeh I'm sure there are some, maker spaces too around the place. Just found there's one ran once a week for cnc type kit which is new but it's just learning sessions not something you can do specific projects on it seems. Better than nought tho.

I found there is actually a library of things very nearby, after writing out a post saying there's fuck all in anywhere near a reasonable distance. Turns out there is one but its not free and some of the prices are insane. £1 to borrow a tape measure? Half of the kit looks knackered, fair enough if it works, few aren't bad price wise but a lot are just ridiculous. Seems to have been a big backed thing locally (CIC) on the basis of it being entirely membership based a few years back, council money, kickstarter, various other funding. Now it's fee per item. Half price with a £24 a year membership. Some things are well priced others are surprisingly expensive. For it to be worth the fee you need to use it a fair bit. Could see if you had a project and no tools then some of it could be cost effective but half the stuff you can buy second hand locally for the same price or even new.

The actual library has a similar sort of thing but it's extremely old stuff and nothing tool related at all. Cd, dvd players etc. Even a decent audio book thing would be useful.

No, they should not be stocked. There is a danger now of crossing a kind of threshold beyond which there is no truth, so we won't bother looking for it.

For Mein Kampf, most libraries have a link to a database called Hathi Trust. They have a copy of Mein Kampf you can read in German. It went into the public domain 70 years after it was published in Germany.

I don't think they have a copy in English because of copyright restrictions. Last time I checked the copyright (in the US) was held by Houghton Mifflin. They claim to give the proceeds to organizations that promote diversity and inter-cultural understanding. One of the organizations is The Gerda and Kurt Klein Foundation.

Last edited:
For Mein Kampf, most libraries have a link to a database called Hathi Trust. They have a copy of Mein Kampf you can read in German. It went into the public domain 70 years after it was published in Germany.

Not available here due to copyright, according the website. I'm surprised as the UK has copyright at death plus 70 years, same as the US. The US does have less stringent copyright laws than the UK generally, but in this instance, I make it that MK entered the public domain in the UK in 2015, unless I'm missing something.

ETA: Reading the links, they impose a blanket restriction outside the US on anything published outside the US after 1898. Too complicated to work it all out, I guess.

Not available here due to copyright, according the website. I'm surprised as the UK has copyright at death plus 70 years, same as the US. The US does have less stringent copyright laws than the UK generally, but in this instance, I make it that MK entered the public domain in the UK in 2015, unless I'm missing something.

ETA: Reading the links, they impose a blanket restriction outside the US on anything published outside the US after 1898. Too complicated to work it all out, I guess.

I think copyright restrictions have been expanding recently due to international agreements that extend the duration of the copyright and trademarks. Yhings like Mickey Mouse, etc. were getting ready to hit the public domain and Disney couldn't have that. The owner of some of those properties have a lot of clout (aka "money") to make sure the retain their rights indefinitely.

Last edited:
I think copyright restrictions have been expanding recently due to international agreements that extend the duration of the copyright and trademarks. Yhings like Mickey Mouse, etc. were getting ready to hit the public domain and Disney couldn't have that. The owner of some of those properties have a lot of clout (aka "money") to make sure the retain their rights indefinitely.
Copyright laws are a headfuck because each country has different ones but we have the internet!

But I think a book whose author died in 1945 is relatively safe ground. Especially as the author was Hitler. :D

Back
Top Bottom