Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Climate Denial Books - should public libraries stock them?

No you're not. You're interested in reading one post in isolation, drawing wild conclusions about it, and ranting in a way intended at belittling the poster concerned.

Fuck off

If you're going to react like that rather than defend the post you made I can only conclude that you find it indefensible and want to move swiftly on.

FWIW Mein Kampf was in my comprehensive school library, as was Speer's Inside the Third Reich.

Last edited:
Could have them in the Fiction Section.
Cane on this thread to post this.

I think that as a library has limited space it should strive to have the most helpful resources.

If the library was a mega funded archive of all knowledge then yes it should have everything. It is important to remember all things.

However most libraries have limited shelf space and limited funding. Are we really going to use money and space to host a viewpoint that is both discredited and harmful?

On the flipside I would be all for a government that finds a way to make all publications avaliable digitally through some sort of library app.

Local lending libraries here have converted almost exclusively to online lending.
I appreciate the convenience this brings.
As much as I don't actually visit physical libraries much I feel a deep resolution in my soul that they must exist.
I may have gone all in on the kindle but nothing will ever touch the ability to walk though numerous shelves and see the wealth of information avaliable at a touch.

I always want my textbooks to be physical.
Stories I am ok with being digital. They are things to get list in. A path to walk through.
Reference books and the likebi want to bounce around in and digital hasn't got there yet. I still appreciate it as another option but not as a full replacement.

Well, you should also know that many public libraries remain open and are not just places that lend books. Bricks-and-mortar libraries also fulfil many other important public needs, such as providing free sanctuary for vulnerable citizens, so please don’t diminish their role with such ignorant claims.
your claim isn’t even true

Well, you should also know that many public libraries remain open and are not just places that lend books. Bricks-and-mortar libraries also fulfil many other important public needs, such as providing free sanctuary for vulnerable citizens, so please don’t diminish their role with such ignorant claims.
It is true. I can only speak anecdotally, my local library has been deserted and keeps only limited hours now…

I agree with all your concerns and agree with them but I don't think a report of experience is a accreditation of that experience

I think we need to ask bcuster what they think of this before we make any judgement

also no judgement towards you on this. this is a hot button issue and I praise you coming out swinging for your cause.
(\which i'm on the same side of)

That Chariot of the Gods nonsense appeared in the library as I recall, though I suppose the theories where more whack than harmful to a live and critical debate.

That Chariot of the Gods nonsense appeared in the library as I recall, though I suppose the theories where more whack than harmful to a live and critical debate.
Oh man. 17 (or so) year old me found those amazing (not specifically CotG but Graham Hancock stuff). Not quite x-files i want to believe shit but I did buy into some form of deep time human culture. The stuff about the pyramids and sphinx being older than we think was the main bit I hooked into. I was a massive nerd about this kinda shit as a teen. also now, the muon probe leading to the discovery of the north face corridor is amazing. the possibly upper gallery could be mind blowing.

nowadays i am more... this

Of course, opinions of all sorts should be available to everyone , but if they’re full of outright lies designed to mislead people and they’re written in bad faith by grifters
We wouldn’t stock Mein Kampf or any books promulgating ‘racial science’ but we do stock books that advocate pseudoscience, but am not sure where climate change denial books comes in between.
This is the book in question:
As you can see from the other books suggested, the publisher is dodgy as fuck and we certainly wouldn’t stock The Politically Incorrect Guide To The South

What a fucking question to ask!

There is no right answer, banning books is wrong, writing books denying climate change is also wrong.

I don't know.

BTW I'm very surprised you don't stock Mein Kampf, it has historical and research value. I take it can be ordered in?

As a child, I got from the library the books of Lobsang Rampa about his life in a Tibetan monastery.

Instead of being written by a Tibetan monk, they were actually by a plumber from Devon. When unmasked, he maintained they were real and his body had been taken over by Rampa.

The books aren't doing any real harm other than giving a false impression of Tibetans and their culture. They're a a pack of lies, but I'm glad the library had them.

Who was the bloke that wrote about his fictitious interaction with a Mexican Shaman? 'Lessons of don Juan' something like that?

Googled it. Carlos Casteneda. I read all the books, was quite impressed, then it was outed as complete fiction. :facepalm: :mad::oops:

Who was the bloke that wrote about his fictitious interaction with a Mexican Shaman? 'Lessons of don Juan' something like that?

Googled it. Carlos Casteneda. I read all the books, was quite impressed, then it was outed as complete fiction. :facepalm: :mad::oops:

Also read those.

Was more skeptical of them. Felt far more like fantasy than a documentation of fact.

Mildly entertaining though.

I agree with all your concerns and agree with them but I don't think a report of experience is a accreditation of that experience

I think we need to ask bcuster what they think of this before we make any judgement

also no judgement towards you on this. this is a hot button issue and I praise you coming out swinging for your cause.
(\which i'm on the same side of)
It’s not a report of experience. It’s from reading extensively about public libraries, in the USA as well as the UK

What a fucking question to ask!

There is no right answer, banning books is wrong, writing books denying climate change is also wrong.

I don't know.

BTW I'm very surprised you don't stock Mein Kampf, it has historical and research value. I take it can be ordered in?
It is available at in the Information and Research department in the central library, but not the branch I work in for the most part.

It’s not a report of experience. It’s from reading extensively about public libraries, in the USA as well as the UK
Are you talking about you or them?

I was talking about their statement of "Local lending libraries here"

To me that sounds like experience. Although it could easily be media narrative.
Only bc can enlighten us us on that fact.

It is true. I can only speak anecdotally, my local library has been deserted and keeps only limited hours now…
Ones especially in the States seem to have branched out into other things, some you can get things like power tools/other equipment out etc, they also seem to have better digital lending then at least I can find locally. Of course this all requires actually funding properly first.

Back
Top Bottom