Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave it another go last night, using a cheap kitchen cloth, and I think I got a better result than using the muslin gauze. It doesn't taste as good as the shop-bought oat milk, but I got very nearly a litre of it from 100g of oats.

If nothing else I'm saving on packaging - it's an annoyance that you don't seem to be able to get oat milk in anything larger than a 1lt Tetra pack.

If nothing else I'm saving on packaging

That was my main motivation for trying to make my own. I have mostly given up and just use water / oats for blended breakfasts but now that the porridge season is coming in I might have to rethink my strategy (I do like a moat around my porridge) ;)

I've made tea/coffee for guests before, using (non-self made) oat milk, and without them knowing. I'm pleased to say that none of those who I suspect would be distrustful of such a product has spat out their drink in disgust.

Last edited:
I've made tea/coffee for guests before, using (non-self made) oat milk, and without them knowing. I'm pleased to say that none of those who suspect would be distrustful of such a product has spat out their drink in disgust.

You may just be overestimating the politeness of your guests.

Maybe try sneakily disguising some alcohol-free beer and serving that up.

Not in tea.

I've made tea/coffee for guests before, using (non-self made) oat milk, and without them knowing. I'm pleased to say that none of those who I suspect would be distrustful of such a product has spat out their drink in disgust.
I've had the same with friends (and workmen) who I'm sure would be quick to point out if there was a problem with the taste. But every time, the whole cup has been happily glugged down, sometimes with a thank you for a 'nice cuppa' :)

I would think it would be polite to ask if people minded funny milk tbh. lots of people have gluten intolerances/nut allergies.

I would think it would be polite to ask if people minded funny milk tbh. lots of people have gluten intolerances/nut allergies.

I guess if it's the certified gluten-free stuff the chances are small if its people you know.

Aside from being a bit weak and having that taste of having had a Weetabix steep in the tea (which I don't mind tbf), I find oat milk ok for tea.
Though tbf I've noticed I'm more likely to find cold, still full cups of tea lying around the house when trying the oat milks.

What's gluten got to do with any plant milk?? :facepalm:
Would it not be polite to ask a human if they minded having cow's milk that's meant for calves?

I’ve never heard of an allergy to oat milk.

Here you go

I wonder how many people in the UK have actually suffered an adverse health reaction from unknowingly drinking tea with oat milk in it.

I'm sure these people suggesting that it is a valid concern will have evidence of plenty of damning cases to hand otherwise they're going to look like they're utterly desperate purveyors of world class whataboutery.

And for reference:

Symptoms of CMPA often start in the early weeks and months of life. There are many possible symptoms which may suggest your baby has a cow’s milk allergy. Allergic symptoms can affect one or more of the body’s systems, including the skin, digestive and, less commonly, breathing or blood circulation. Allergic symptoms may be called mild, moderate or severe.

With these criteria, cow's milk allergy is shown to affect between 1.8% and 7.5% of infants in the first year of life

I wonder how many people in the UK have actually suffered an adverse health reaction from unknowingly drinking tea with oat milk in it.

I'm sure these people suggesting that it is a valid concern will have evidence of plenty of damning cases to hand otherwise they're going to look like they're utterly desperate purveyors of world class whataboutery.

And for reference:

For context, babies can have allergies to quite a few different foods - including milk substitutes such as soya milk - as their bodies work out what is dangerous to them and what isn't. Babies mostly grow out of a cow's milk allergy.

As mentioned here, there is evidence to suggest that not introducing certain foods can increase the chances that the allergies will persist.

Foods that can trigger an allergic reaction are:

• cows' milk
  • eggs (eggs without a red lion stamp should not be eaten raw or lightly cooked)
  • foods that contain gluten, including wheat, barley and rye
  • nuts and peanuts (serve them crushed or ground)
  • seeds (serve them crushed or ground)
  • soya
  • shellfish (do not serve raw or lightly cooked)
  • fish
These foods can be introduced from around 6 months as part of your baby's diet, just like any other foods.

Once introduced and if tolerated, these foods should become part of your baby's usual diet to minimise the risk of allergy.

Evidence has shown that delaying the introduction of peanut and hen's eggs beyond 6 to 12 months may increase the risk of developing an allergy to these foods.
Lots of children outgrow their allergies to milk or eggs, but a peanut allergy is generally lifelong.

Food allergies in babies and young children

For context, babies can have allergies to quite a few different foods - including milk substitutes such as soya milk - as their bodies work out what is dangerous to them and what isn't. Babies mostly grow out of a cow's milk allergy.

As mentioned here, there is evidence to suggest that not introducing certain foods can increase the chances that the allergies will persist.

Food allergies in babies and young children
Babies and people have allergies to all sorts of things, but that wasn't the question I asked though, so I'll ask again:

I wonder how many people in the UK have actually suffered an adverse health reaction from unknowingly drinking tea with oat milk in it?

It's totally normal to drink the milk of other animals, and traditional etc etc
Who said that?

Also Oatly and some other oat milks are not gluten free so I'd think it would be sensible to ask as most people won't be expecting oat milk. They'd expect cow's milk as standard so would be more likely to say no if lactose intolerant. It's just not being a dick really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom