Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the fuck would you think it necessary to mention it for a cup of tea? Gluten isn't usually found in tea unless it's added by an inconsiderate wanker. :facepalm:

Perhaps in editor world people need to ask for gluten / nut free water as well. :(
Here. Educate yourself: Coeliac UK response to Starbucks introducing Oat milk

Anyway, in the complete absence of a shred of evidence that a visitor's to anyone's house has got ill from someone 'slipping' in a slop of oat milk into a cup of tea. I'm done arguing this total non-point.

So if you had a medical need for gluten free products you wouldn't dream of mentioning it when someone went to make you a cup of tea? How strange.
My sister in law has problems with gluten (her brother and mother are coeliac but she is undiagnosed) and has never specified no oat milk. Of course it is not just gluten as avenin can be problematic as well. There are also people who are unaware of the details of plant milks. I didn't know for example that oat milk could end up contaminated with gluten. People who assume that milk means cows milk and those who don't know they have anything to worry about from plant milks are likely a large minority. Just seems fair to give them a choice in the matter so they know to avoid it in future.

Why the fuck would you think it necessary to mention it for a cup of tea? Gluten isn't usually found in tea unless it's added by an inconsiderate wanker. :facepalm:

Perhaps in editor world people need to ask for gluten / nut free water as well. :(
Tbf it's not an obvious thing and if you're drinking it all the time it becomes your normal so could easily do it without thinking. I have and now I'd ask. I don't know why people get so upset at the suggestion of showing a little consideration.

Anyway, in the complete absence of a shred of evidence that a visitor's to anyone's house has got ill from someone 'slipping' in a slop of oat milk into a cup of tea. I'm done arguing this total non-point.
From your link

In the meantime, as we do not know the levels of gluten involved, we advise our members to be aware of this risk in making purchasing decisions regarding these products.

Seems like knowing what your consuming can be important.

I don't think it's totally different. I think it's a case of reciprocating consideration. It is thoughtless to give someone plant milk without checking with them first that they're ok with it. In many people's worlds, the word 'milk' refers to the secretion made by mammals, and that will be their default assumption when offered something called 'milk'.

Weird that this needs to be explained.

From your link

In the meantime, as we do not know the levels of gluten involved, we advise our members to be aware of this risk in making purchasing decisions regarding these products.

That's more like it

From your link

If you're a multinational business, absolutely. In private situations - like when someone offers you a cup of tea when you're visiting - I'd say the onus switches to the individual if they are hyper sensitive to what appears to be a rare allergy.

I certainly have no problem telling people I don;t want cow's milk in my tea, and that's not even going to make me ill.

If you're a multinational business, absolutely. In private situations - like when someone offers you a cup of tea when you're visiting - I'd say the onus switches to the individual if they are hyper sensitive to what appears to be a rare allergy.

I certainly have no problem telling people I don;t want cow's milk in my tea, and that's not even going to make me ill.
I'd do the same but I wouldn't assume everyone behaved exactly like me.

So if you were using soy or nut based milk you have no problem running the risk of potentially killing someone from anaphylaxis because you can't be arsed letting people know. :eek:

Good luck with your defence if someone sues for assault or manslaughter. :(

So if you were using soy or nut based milk you have no problem running the risk of potentially killing someone from anaphylaxis because you can't be arsed letting people know. :eek:

Admire the continued whataboutery as oat milk is quietly and deceitfully replaced with 'soy or nut based milk' to set up an entirely different scenario to the one under discussion.

And then gaze in awe as the poster loses the plot completely and starts banging on about the tea maker being sued for "assault or manslaughter."

But - going along with your fantastic 'what if' scene setting - could you explain to me how a case of assault might be brought to the courts if someone served someone a cup of tea and the person made no mention of - or expressed no preferences for - the milk that accompanied their cuppa in their private home?

And can you give some examples of people dying from having a small amount of soya milk in a single cup of tea?

This is a bit silly - it's manners, not actually a matter of life & death.

Actually the poster was insisting that it IS a matter of life and death, with criminal cases of assault and manslaughter to follow.

Oh, and for the record, I don't use nut based milk for a variety of reasons. In fact no one was even talking about nut based milk.

Clearly don't have a clue about anaphylaxis then. Even the tiniest crumb of peanut can cause life threatening anaphylaxis in people who are sensitive to it.

My sister is allergic to soy and has had her throat and tongue swell up due to the microscopic levels found in some tablets, fortunately it didn't require hospital treatment just large doses of antihistamine tablets. So if that small a quantity can have that effect what do you think the result would be from a mouthful? :(

This is so simple that I don't believe for one second that you don't get it.

If you offer someone a cup of tea, you should tell them you're using oat milk not cow's milk. Not to do so is thoughtless.

The fact that you have no problem telling people you don't want cow's milk is really neither here nor there. Well done you. Have a gold star. That has no bearing whatever on what you should tell others when making them a cup of tea.

Clearly don't have a clue about anaphylaxis then. Even the tiniest crumb of peanut can cause life threatening anaphylaxis in people who are sensitive to it.

My sister is allergic to soy and has had her throat and tongue swell up due to the microscopic levels found in some tablets, fortunately it didn't require hospital treatment just large doses of antihistamine tablets. So if that small a quantity can have that effect what do you think the result would be from a mouthful? :(
I do know loads about how serious peanut allergies can be as it happens, but we're talking about oats

I do know loads about how serious peanut allergies can be as it happens, but we're talking about oats
As has already been pointed out oat milk can contain gluten. Gluten can be a trigger for IBS. One of the posters on here (can't remember their name) regularly posts about another several day stay in hospital because of a flare up.
Do you think it's acceptable to put someone in that position because you can't be bothered to mention it's oat milk? :facepalm:

Where can i find nut cheeses? Tescos don't have them and neither does the local quack shop (Holland and Barrett)

Seems like they're only available online and perhaps in some London-based vegan delis (guessing about the latter). We're talking about £4+ per 100g (plus delivery). I've been eyeing them but damn, that's expensive.
It's weird, Americans have them in supermarkets but they somehow haven't made it to the UK, even though there is so much demand.

Seems like they're only available online and perhaps in some London-based vegan delis (guessing about the latter). We're talking about £4+ per 100g (plus delivery). I've been eyeing them but damn, that's expensive.
It's weird, Americans have them in supermarkets but they somehow haven't made it to the UK, even though there is so much demand.

Ooh, that’s a bit pricey.

As has already been pointed out oat milk can contain gluten. Gluten can be a trigger for IBS. One of the posters on here (can't remember their name) regularly posts about another several day stay in hospital because of a flare up.
Do you think it's acceptable to put someone in that position because you can't be bothered to mention it's oat milk? :facepalm:
I don't. But I also think shrill nonsense about manslaughter over it is daft.

Yeah it’s all gotten a bit extra.

My friend has anaphylactic allergy to dairy. He carries an epipen.
I can’t give a cup of standard sweetened soya milk to one of my friends because the apple extract its sweetened with sets off her ibs. It’d be discomfort not deadly though.

Quite curious how much of the gluten from oats makes it into the milk, so that’ll provide for the next time I go on a distraction quest. If I find anything definitive I’ll report back.

It is silly and a bit tongue in cheek, but it’s also more than manners.

If a veg-head sneaks nut milk into someone’s food or drink without them knowing, thinking “huh huh, the silly carnist will never know”, it’s bang the fuck out of order.

It’s potentially far from inconsequential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom