Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure about high street as some can be quite pricey
Rosie's or Tyne seem to be good/rated
e2a Products Archive - Raw Food Rosie's

yes they're pricey before the usual twunts weigh in with that
I bought some vegetarian hard cheese last week but we haven’t run out of our usual parmesan yet. I will report back on how good it is, I expect it to be fine.

Not tried any plant based cheese yet. I will do, we now use Oatly for plant based Greek yoghurt, crème fraiche, custard etc … we’re big fans of oat based products plus I don’t get on with dairy.

You do understand that cell counts have to be taken from milk before it enters the supply chain, don't you?

Either way, it is, in this instance milk that non lactose intolerant humans have evolved to digest, presumably containing far higher cell counts than in modern times.

Of course veg are covered in bacteria, they came out of soil fertilised with shite, quick wash, they'll be fine.
And yes, milk, like everything else on the planet consists of chemicals.
The fact that cell counts are needed for milk was one of the reasons I stopped drinking it. There’s an allowable threshold for blood and pus because the cows have such constant issues with mastitis that all milk is likely to contain some. So it’s gross as well as evidencing how cruel the industrial process of mass producing milk is.

Didn’t mean you ftr. This thread is full of it though.
I haven’t read the whole thread but when I joined it I was surprised to see some allergen assumptions arising and I’m not going to point at anyone but myself: I didnt know about eg peanut milk in the context of a very wide term “plant milk” and the thread has made me reconsider allergens again, I think it’s been useful. I’m also reminded that my partner was a vegan when I first met him and he came off his vegan diet … very interesting that it was dairy products that made him unwell (a pizza with cheese) rather than a steak.

The kind that tastes nice. I like nuts and I like cheese.

I also like both nuts and cheese.

I’ve had cashew “cheese” that was quite nice, but it was a long way off being actual cheese. Went well on chips, though.

These aren’t cheap but some of it looks interesting:

The fact that cell counts are needed for milk was one of the reasons I stopped drinking it. There’s an allowable threshold for blood and pus because the cows have such constant issues with mastitis that all milk is likely to contain some. So it’s gross as well as evidencing how cruel the industrial process of mass producing milk is.

It was always going to contain some, it's a secretion. Human milk contains SCs, all mammals can get mastitis during lactation, including humans.

So yes, anywhere that animals lactate will have to manage mastitis, including post natal health care in humans.

Last edited:
I get proper ick/ugh about not washing veg, would be grateful if anyone could shed any light on whether veg should be washed.

I get proper ick/ugh about not washing veg, would be grateful if anyone could shed any light on whether veg should be washed.

Back before people washed their veg, people could forego meat without needing B12 supplements.

Do you advertise your vegan to builders you have in?
Been a long time since I had any builders round. I believe the last time was 10 years ago, they were ripping the entire kitchen out so no one was getting tea from my place that week.

I imagine I’d check what they wanted though, I usually have a lot of herbal teas plus variations on coffee black tea & sugar or sweetener & whatever plant milk I’ve got open there might be a different sort in the cupboard. (I might be too skint to employ builders but I like variety in hot drinks.) So many variations that yes they’d get a bunch of questions before they got a mug of something.

You’re suspecting some variant of stealth veganism has emerged? :hmm:

(I don’t think editor is vegan as it happens)
A new front of activism, get a job undercover in a pizza place and sneak soya products onto the meat feast toppings. The meat and dairy industrial complex will crumble within months.

I think the Hare Krishna’s do something weird with their food as it goes. They’re not just being generous when they take those huge pots of rice and dal and feed the masses. It’s blessed or something so by getting people to eat it they’re getting them to ingest their religion. Or something. If anyone knows what’s at the bottom of this half remembered vignette, do tell.

Back before people washed their veg, people could forego meat without needing B12 supplements.
Which veg have B12 that can be washed away? As I said Button was a vegan so is quite interested in the whole B12 issue. And I want to know what pesticides can be washed away which was the point of my own post.

A new front of activism, get a job undercover in a pizza place and sneak soya products onto the meat feast toppings. The meat and dairy industrial complex will crumble within months.

I think the Hare Krishna’s do something weird with their food as it goes. They’re not just being generous when they take those huge pots of rice and dal and feed the masses. It’s blessed or something so by getting people to eat it they’re getting them to ingest their religion. Or something. If anyone knows what’s at the bottom of this half remembered vignette, do tell.

If you go to the cheap pizza places you’ll often end up with fake cheese anyway.

It was always going to contain some, it's a secretion. Human milk contains SCs, all mammals can get mastitis during lactation, including humans.

So yes, anywhere that animals lactate will have to manage mastitis, including post natal health care in humans.
Yes, I do know people who had babies and breast fed them. Mastitis was excruciatingly painful for every one of them. So when we forcibly impregnate cows so as to extract their milk we make them go through pain on pain on pain.

Which veg have B12 that can be washed away? As I said Button was a vegan so is quite interested in the whole B12 issue. And I want to know what pesticides can be washed away which was the point of my own post.
I’ve been told that if you can afford to get organic for some veg but not all to prioritise root veg as it’s harder to get the pesticides out.

Previously we didn’t need mineral supplements because we got bits from soil on vegetables, but not only is it all washed clean because of pesticides etc, I think the soil quality is degraded now.

I’ve been told that if you can afford to get organic for some veg but not all to prioritise root veg as it’s harder to get the pesticides out.

Previously we didn’t need mineral supplements because we got bits from soil on vegetables, but not only is it all washed clean because of pesticides etc, I think the soil quality is degraded now.
Soil quality issue is huge. Spinach when I was a kid (60s/70s) tasted properly of iron, nowadays doesn’t taste as metallic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom