Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iceland and Sainsbury's is £25 not that all this whataboutery has got much to do with anything because if there's no local shops, it'll be more expensive for supermarket meat deliveries too.
Iceland didn't have much fruit and veg last time I was in there and as I still find myself traipsing down to the co-op for satsumas on delivery day I guess that is still the case. It is £25 plus an additional delivery charge or £40 for free delivery. Sainsbury's doesn't have a great reputation for affordability.

Because Ed has appears to have become a bit Frank Doberman about the whole meat thing since eschewing meat and dairy, ie unable to do ought but quoth the Nicean creed of the converted Vegan.

Generally I find him a benign Despot of the boards but in this case he seems a trifle autocratic...

A little less vim and more considered respect for debate and differing views would perhaps encourage more reasoned exchange.
Tbf I don't think he's used any of this superpowers on this thread so hardly autocratic whatever disagreements I have with him.

Iceland didn't have much fruit and veg last time I was in there and as I still find myself traipsing down to the co-op for satsumas on delivery day I guess that is still the case. It is £25 plus an additional delivery charge or €40 for free delivery. Sainsbury's doesn't have a great reputation for affordability.
Sure there was frozen veg but absolutely, access to cheap and healthy food needs to be looked at. Maybe somewhere to shift some of those subsidies to.

So beef is now cheaper than vegetables? Awesome stuff.
Boswell Farms (tesco brand) beef is £1.55 (iirc) for half a kg from Tesco.

Perfectly edible (we can quibble about the quality of those Tesco brands, but that's the price and if you can't afford much else that's what you buy).

Regardless of its environmental impact beef is extremely nutritious. For the same price I can buy a cauliflower. I enjoy Cauli and Beef. But nutritionally the veg hasn't got as much as the beef and if I were forced to choose then I'd buy the beef.

Thanks for the unprovoked personal attack, but - FYI - I'm not vegan and never have been. I just wish people would follow the advice coming from experts - and not the meat loons here - and eat less meat. And that's what I've been consistently saying throughout this thread (and the others).
Wait, what?

Boswell Farms (tesco brand) beef is £1.55 (iirc) for half a kg from Tesco.

Perfectly edible (we can quibble about the quality of those Tesco brands, but that's the price and if you can't afford much else that's what you buy).

Regardless of its environmental impact beef is extremely nutritious. For the same price I can buy a cauliflower. I enjoy Cauli and Beef. But nutritionally the veg hasn't got as much as the beef and if I were forced to choose then I'd buy the beef.
500g of lentils in Tesco for £1.15.

What's your point, caller?

Eta tl:dr. Lentils are more of a reasonable/usual substitute for mince than cauliflower. Beef and lentils are much of a muchness nutrition-wise. Lentils are a bit cheaper than mince but may require more cooking so all in all, they're probably about the same cost wise.

Last edited:
Iceland didn't have much fruit and veg last time I was in there and as I still find myself traipsing down to the co-op for satsumas on delivery day I guess that is still the case. It is £25 plus an additional delivery charge or £40 for free delivery. Sainsbury's doesn't have a great reputation for affordability.
Where are you hoping to go with this argument and what doe it have to do with the science that says people need to reduce their meat consumption?

Regardless of its environmental impact beef is extremely nutritious
That's great to hear. But it's also one of the most environmentally damaging impact on the planet, and that's why scientists are saying people have to eat less of the fucking stuff.

And there we have it:

beef-vs-lentils.jpg

That your posting horseshit. Firstly that comparison isn't equal. You're comparing two different weights. Secondly beef has more calories, therefore its macronutrient content (and thus energy) is greater. The idea there is more quality iron in lentils is laughable. Heme iron is a better source. Lentils are just carbs

That your posting horseshit. Firstly that comparison isn't equal. You're comparing two different weights.
From the link:

'We compared the nutritional contents of cooked beef versus cooked lentils (100g each) below using 2020 USDA and NIH data[1].'

Secondly beef has more calories, therefore its macronutrient content (and thus energy) is greater. The idea there is more quality iron in lentils is laughable. Heme iron is a better source. Lentils are just carbs
More calories, sure. Also more fat. Protein the same. Why not try half and half lentils and mince? Would cut your fat and reduce your meat consumption a bit so all good eh? :thumbs:

Last edited:
Where are you hoping to go with this argument and what doe it have to do with the science that says people need to reduce their meat consumption?
You seem to have a foot in the people should just change their eating habits camp. To do that they need to have access to affordable nutrition.

You seem to have a foot in the people should just change their eating habits camp. To do that they need to have access to affordable nutrition.
Sure. Cheap lentils for all is a message I'm sure we can all get behind.

That your posting horseshit. Firstly that comparison isn't equal. You're comparing two different weights. Secondly beef has more calories, therefore its macronutrient content (and thus energy) is greater. The idea there is more quality iron in lentils is laughable. Heme iron is a better source. Lentils are just carbs
Surely price is more relevant than weight in this case?

Again, it's the science telling people to eat less meat because of its horrendous impact on the environment, and the argument that meals without beef or whatever are somehow unaffordable is embarrassingly stupid.

Thanks for the unprovoked personal attack, but - FYI - I'm not vegan and never have been. I just wish people would follow the advice coming from experts - and not the meat loons here - and eat less meat. And that's what I've been consistently saying throughout this thread (and the others).
Fair play, I actually agree with you. Perhaps with different parameters and caveats.

Again, it's the science telling people to eat less meat because of its horrendous impact on the environment, and the argument that meals without beef or whatever are somehow unaffordable is embarrassingly stupid.
I'm not questioning the science. I'm questioning the effectiveness of what I think your approach to achieving that is. You seem to be relying on individuals deciding one day to reduce their meat consumption because they are convinced by the science. I'm not sure this will be sufficient and telling people to goto street markets and supermarkets that don't exist won't help. Something more radical than individual lifestyle changes is needed that doesn't dismiss concerns about potential negative impacts of reducing meat consumption and actively deals with them whether they affect the environment, health, the economy or something else.

Eta tl:dr. Lentils are more of a reasonable/usual substitute for mince than cauliflower. Beef and lentils are much of a muchness nutrition-wise. Lentils are a bit cheaper than mince but may require more cooking so all in all, they're probably about the same cost wise.
Looking at that you need nearly 3 times as much lentils as beef to get the same calories. So where 500g of beef costs £1.55 to get the same calories from lentils it would cost ~£3.45

I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that.

Looking at that you need nearly 3 times as much lentils as beef to get the same calories. So where 500g of beef costs £1.55 to get the same calories from lentils it would cost ~£3.45

Also if you need nearly 3 times the weight of lentils to beef you also need to multiple the pollution of lentils by 3 as well to be able to compare them properly. How do lentils compare to beef when that is taken into account?

Also if you need nearly 3 times the weight of lentils to beef you also need to multiple the pollution of lentils by 3 as well to be able to compare them properly. How do lentils compare to beef when that is taken into account?
Awesome logic

If we''re going purely on calories vs price, then there are 260 calories in a 58g Mars bar for 80p or something so living on Mars bars seems like not a bad bang for your buck :thumbs:.

Your numbers look off though. If we're comparing 100g of cooked mince with 100g of cooked lentils, the calorific ratio is 277:166.

But the cooked:uncooked lentil weight is approx 2:1. I don't know what the cooked:uncooked mince weight is but I suspect it's less than 2:1.

So...

500g of cooked mince = 1385 (5x277) cals for £1.55

500g of cooked lentils = 830 (5x166) cals for £0.58 (0.5x£1.15)

So bearing in mind I'm slightly pissed, looks to me like nutritionally and cost-wise, they're in the same ballpark

Why not give lentils a whirl eh? Use some to replace some of your mince. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom