Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at that you need nearly 3 times as much lentils as beef to get the same calories. So where 500g of beef costs £1.55 to get the same calories from lentils it would cost ~£3.45

I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that.
Most of us could do without the calories, though.

Also if you need nearly 3 times the weight of lentils to beef you also need to multiple the pollution of lentils by 3 as well to be able to compare them properly. How do lentils compare to beef when that is taken into account?
Please don't add logic to this discussion. Logic is worse than whataboutery.

You would also have to convince people that have probably never eaten or cooked lentils that it's a good thing......Just Eat and Deliveroo etc would have to have a radical re-think too....listening to people at work and the amount of take out a lot of people seem to have (i almost never have any) it's mostly arranged around meat it seems.

You would also have to convince people that have probably never eaten or cooked lentils that it's a good thing......Just Eat and Deliveroo etc would have to have a radical re-think too....listening to people at work and the amount of take out a lot of people seem to have (i almost never have any) it's mostly arranged around meat it seems.
But let's assume all parents are rich, and they come home from their middle-class jobs to their middle-class homes where they feed their middle-class kids with middle-class lentils. It's almost as if some people here don't care about people who can't afford to eat the way rich people say they should.

It's also about what people know.....had an argument once (it was actually with my sister) who was going down the road of criticising people on low incomes that struggle with food....if you are on a low income with kids for example and have never considered a more vegetarian eating regime you are going to buy what you and your kids will eat...so if it's burgers or nuggets or the cheaper end of the meat industry but you know your family will definitely eat it you'll go with that rather than risk buying and making food that they might not eat on your limited budget...it's a bit like the enviromental campaining....there is a large disconnect with swathes of the population imo

It's also about what people know.....had an argument once (it was actually with my sister) who was going down the road of criticising people on low incomes that struggle with food....if you are on a low income with kids for example and have never considered a more vegetarian eating regime you are going to buy what you and your kids will eat...so if it's burgers or nuggets or the cheaper end of the meat industry but you know your family will definitely eat it you'll go with that rather than risk buying and making food that they might not eat on your limited budget...it's a bit like the enviromental campaining....there is a large disconnect with swathes of the population imo
How very PC of you :D
Let's just call a cunt a cunt.

Why not give lentils a whirl eh? Use some to replace some of your mince. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

What are these “puy” lentils they’re talking about in that link? Is that just another name for red lentils?

Substituting some lentils in place of a proportion of beef mince in a recipe is something I never thought of doing, but makes a lot of sense as you’d still have the flavour of the meat and could presumably reduce the overall cost since lentils bulk up so much during cooking you wouldn’t need as much lentils as the weight of the meat you omitted.

Where I live, beef mince has really gone up in price in the past few years and now “regular price” in the supermarket would be over £8/kg and when on offer they mark it down to around £6.80/kg, which probably sounds crazy high by U.K. standards.

We already buy it far less often than we used to, because the price is a deterrent. I really don’t think it takes much in terms of price differential to start changing people‘s behaviour.

From the link:

'We compared the nutritional contents of cooked beef versus cooked lentils (100g each) below using 2020 USDA and NIH data[1].'

More calories, sure. Also more fat. Protein the same. Why not try half and half lentils and mince? Would cut your fat and reduce your meat consumption a bit so all good eh? :thumbs:
Why would I want to cut my fat? Also lentils aren't complete proteins.

You are comparing two different weights of food. 70g with almost three times as much in weight of Lentils. Calories measure energy which the human body needs, obviously. So if you eat 70g of beef you'll get more than if you eat Lentils. I personally can't stomach the latter because the carb content is bad for me. OTOH beef will keep me going for hours.

Fortunately though I'm not arguing people only eat beef and no veg whatsoever, as I've already made clear.

Surely price is more relevant than weight in this case?
Not for me.

According to that evidence Lentils are by definition less filling because they confer less energy. and energy from carbs is less efficient.

Sorry who are you quoting here?
No one.

According to that evidence Lentils are by definition less filling because they confer less energy. and energy from carbs is less efficient.
I think you're confusing calorie content and satiety which are different things. (Does a high calorie, high sugar food make you feel as full as a lower calorie, high protein one? No.)

But you know what? It's pretty clear you're not really open to changing what you eat and it's a nice day so I'm going to leave you to it.

They are already pretty much the cheapest protein you can buy :confused:
Something else I don't buy but haven't said anything about them being expensive. I was replying to someone with a similar sentiment but I'm not eating the fucking things. In fact I criticised Glitch a few posts back for talking about weight rather than price in his comparisons avoiding someone else's point about their cheapness.

I think you're confusing calorie content and satiety which are different things. (Does a high calorie, high sugar food make you feel as full as a lower calorie, high protein one? No.)

But you know what? It's pretty clear you're not really open to changing what you eat and it's a nice day so I'm going to leave you to it.

I believe I alluded to this when I pointed out how Lentils aren't filling because they are carbs which, essentially, reduce to sugars in the body. Is eating a pound of lentils as bad as a pound of candy? Obviously not. But carbs are poor quality fuel. So yes they are different, but they are also connected since calories are what we use to measure energy. However not all calories are equal. 1g of Fat = 9cals and 1g of protein/carbs = 4. You;ll feel fuller for longer eating meat than lentils. I certainly do. But again, i'm not arguing people only eat beef

Something else I don't buy but haven't said anything about them being expensive. I was replying to someone with a similar sentiment but I'm not eating the fucking things. In fact I criticised Glitch a few posts back for talking about weight rather than price in his comparisons avoiding someone else's point about their cheapness.
That was the point. I bought up cheap minced beef from tesco and lentils were offered as a slightly cheaper alternative

Not sure if this was shared yet, but it was on the bbc yesterday and it seemed pertinent to the discussion.

Also interesting graphic below from that article suggesting beer has a similar environmental impact to milk which surprised me.

0AA5CE4A-9069-4414-9A48-159B97C44E90.jpeg

If we''re going purely on calories vs price, then there are 260 calories in a 58g Mars bar for 80p or something so living on Mars bars seems like not a bad bang for your buck :thumbs:.
That would be fine if all you needed to live on was calories but you don't, you need protein and minerals and vitamins etc as well.

So if you're comparing 3 times as much lentils as beef then the lentils will have 1/3rd of the amount of protein and vitamins in it as well.

You're article has glaring mistakes in it as well regarding the vitamin content.

What are these “puy” lentils they’re talking about in that link? Is that just another name for red lentils?

Substituting some lentils in place of a proportion of beef mince in a recipe is something I never thought of doing, but makes a lot of sense as you’d still have the flavour of the meat and could presumably reduce the overall cost since lentils bulk up so much during cooking you wouldn’t need as much lentils as the weight of the meat you omitted.

Where I live, beef mince has really gone up in price in the past few years and now “regular price” in the supermarket would be over £8/kg and when on offer they mark it down to around £6.80/kg, which probably sounds crazy high by U.K. standards.

We already buy it far less often than we used to, because the price is a deterrent. I really don’t think it takes much in terms of price differential to start changing people‘s behaviour.
Puy lentils are little bluey green ones. They’re delicious. Much more flavour and texture than red ones.

Puy lentils are little bluey green ones. They’re delicious. Much more flavour and texture than red ones.

Yeah, I’ve used them in place of beef in a chilli (never mixed them with beef but sounds a pretty obvious idea). The texture is kind of close even without doing that. :thumbs:

They look blue at first but are more beefy red colour when cooked.

They are already pretty much the cheapest protein you can buy :confused:

Would be interested to see how they compare with tinned tuna, but that’s not really an objection, and they might work out cheaper tbf.

Not as much protein per calorie, but the whole protein business is massively overstated as has been discussed at length in the past.

You;ll feel fuller for longer eating meat than lentils. I certainly do.

I do too, so include whole grains and nuts and seeds and have found it really satiating with the things I tend to make.

I tend to include:

Pulses (most often chickpeas and either some type of peas or beans)
A whole grain (often brown rice, sometimes bulgar wheat or cous cous- often cooked separately)
Mixed nuts
Toasted pumpkin seeds
One “watery veg”
One starchy veg
One leafy green veg
At least one other veg (or mushrooms)
A bunch of herbs and spices
Often a bit of veggie stock
Tinned toms
Some fresh cherry toms
Onions, peppers
Usually a dash of toasted sesame oil and a dash of cider vinegar for seasoning / acidity for nutrient absorption - added on serving.

Did it due to an autoimmune health thing and was trying to figure out if a food was causing it (have narrowed it down to preserved cooked meats <not all of them but it’s unpredictable> and wines over a year old <again, somewhat unpredictable in terms of type>). And beer is a bit of a lottery. :(

Was surprised how full it kept me and for how long. I think it’s the protein, fat and fibre, which will help the sugars to release really slowly as well as being filling in themselves.

Also surprised to be doing quite a lot of pooing at first (was expecting farts but got high-volume poo instead, which settled after a week as predicted by someone on here). :oops:

I make a big batch and freeze it (my freezer is tiny, but old takeaway containers stack really well). It worked out about £25 tops for 10 pretty big meals iirc (I have a really big cooking pot). That included some herbs and bits that left enough to go into other batches, so def cheaper than £2.50 a meal. I appreciate even that could be an issue for someone really struggling (and obv cooking costs/time factor in too). The nuts and seeds add to the cost a bit tbf.

I expect all the above is super-elementary to the seasoned vegheads on this thread.

Last edited:
Could you share the science that led you to this awesome conclusion?

Oh and are you that tiresome wanker Awesome Wells?

Oh, it's just the energy density thing.

And he's right that you'll have an easier time getting fat by drinking beef dripping than eating an equivalent weight of oatmeal, but that's rather mis-stating the goal of all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom