Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This notion that fruit and veg is somehow really expensive and out of reach of many is one of the more ridiculous arguments in this thread. It's not hard to find street markets (and supermarkets) selling plenty of fruit and veg that is wildly affordable, even more so if you're going to compare it to beef/pork or whatever (and let's not forget plenty of animal produce is heavily subsidised).

I've had long spells on the dole as a vegetarian and never had problems finding decent veggie food to eat. I mean how cheap are potatoes, carrots, broccoli or loads of other vegetables?
There are no street markets here and the local shops are at the top end of pricing. We have a coop a butchers and a tesco express. The latter remains, inexplicably, more dear than the tesco supermarkets. Fortunately the supply chain issue seems to have eased but they are not cheap and neither is the coop. From there a decent sized cauli is almost £2. I'd happily eat more avocado but for us in the UK it's absolutley a luxury food. That's a shame given its nutritional profile but who knows how much its carbon footprint is.

There are no street markets here and the local shops are at the top end of pricing. We have a coop a butchers and a tesco express. The latter remains, inexplicably, more dear than the tesco supermarkets. Fortunately the supply chain issue seems to have eased but they are not cheap and neither is the coop. From there a decent sized cauli is almost £2. I'd happily eat more avocado but for us in the UK it's absolutley a luxury food. That's a shame given its nutritional profile but who knows how much its carbon footprint is.
Nobody on this side of the planet should be eating avocados. The industry is controlled by drug barons, resulting in farmers who refuse to comply getting murdered, and people who used to rely on avocados for sustenance being unable to afford them because we've priced them out of the market.

Nobody on this side of the planet should be eating avocados. The industry is controlled by drug barons, resulting in farmers who refuse to comply getting murdered, and people who used to rely on avocados for sustenance being unable to afford them because we've priced them out of the market.

Maybe I need to look some shit up. I like avocados. I don’t eat that many but I love an avocado on toast with a bit of marmite.

This notion that fruit and veg is somehow really expensive and out of reach of many is one of the more ridiculous arguments in this thread. It's not hard to find street markets (and supermarkets) selling plenty of fruit and veg that is wildly affordable, even more so if you're going to compare it to beef/pork or whatever (and let's not forget plenty of animal produce is heavily subsidised).

I've had long spells on the dole as a vegetarian and never had problems finding decent veggie food to eat. I mean how cheap are potatoes, carrots, broccoli or loads of other vegetables?

It’s not out of the reach of me, but I don’t want to be disparaging of other people’s circumstances.

You also need a certain amount of free time, as well as the necessary facilities, to make decent veggie grub at home. I have it, but not everyone does.

Last edited:
No it doesn't mate.

(hint, look at the measured output in the middle of the pie chart)
From your link
Mineral fertilisers accounted for 45 % of the nitrogen input in the EU in 2014, manure accounting for another 38 %.
Not sure where you get all that manure from if you do away with meat production. A 38% reduction in fertilizer could result in a 38% loss in crop output. :eek:

From your link

Not sure where you get all that manure from if you do away with meat production. A 38% reduction in fertilizer could result in a 38% loss in crop output. :eek:
It won't. It'll result in a massive increase in petrochemical fertilisers. Resulting in further pollution of waters.

The elephant in the room is, as I stated in my original reply, over population.

It doesn't matter what the ever increasing population eats, there are just too many of us.

A bit of a harder question to answer ( and I have no answers for it). Still nature usually finds a way of sorting this sort of thing out...

The elephant in the room is, as I stated in my original reply, over population.

It doesn't matter what the ever increasing population eats, there are just too many of us.

A bit of a harder question to answer ( and I have no answers for it). Still nature usually finds a way of sorting this sort of thing out...
Currently increasing. The global fertility rate is crashing. It has halved since 1950 and will continue to fall likely hitting as low as 1.7 by 2100. Barring something like immortality that means a decreasing population. Also where is this ever increasing growth happening? Low income countries where many people live on two fifths of fuck all a day. The planet can support a lot more of them a than Butchers or CNT36s.

Not everywhere is Brixton.
Which towns don't have street markets or cheap supermarkets? Or access to online supermarkets?

This notion that it's somehow cheaper to eat meat is utter tosh but not half as tosh as the ludicrous argument that eating beef is better for the environment.

Cows are not the only source of shit. Are they the most efficient? Also a move away from trying to produce as much meat as possible might help create a diet that has less knock on effects upon the environment.

Which towns don't have street markets or cheap supermarkets? Or access to online supermarkets?

The one I Iive in and the one I lived in previously didn't have street markets. A farmers market (often not cheap) on a Friday if you're lucky. One has a supermarket in town and the other doesn't. The one with a supermarket is a long town and it is at one end and a fair walk. The one without a supermarket has several out of town but a hell of a distance for some of the residents let alone for those further west who have no alternative. Of course all those who would struggle to get to one of these supermarkets are shit hot at ordering online from them.

The one I Iive in and the one I lived in previously didn't have street markets. A farmers market (often not cheap) on a Friday if you're lucky. One has a supermarket in town and the other doesn't. The one with a supermarket is a long town and it is at one end and a fair walk. The one without a supermarket has several out of town but a hell of a distance for some of the residents let alone for those further west who have no alternative. Of course all those who would struggle to get to one of these supermarkets are shit hot at ordering online from them.
But meat is somehow much cheaper than fruit and veg, yes? Because that is supposedly the point being argued here.

But meat is somehow much cheaper than fruit and veg, yes? Because that is supposedly the point being argued here.
I don't track the price of things I don't buy. Or much really. I buy the same shit over and over so until it hurts or I consider a change I won't pay much attention. Though saying that I've noticed a lot of changes of packaging, quantity and size lately.

I was responding to your assertion that we all live in a world surrounded by supermarkets and street markets. For many that is not the reality. If your solution is lifestyle changes for millions it might be worth considering how they live.

What is the wider impact of what we eat?​

How we produce our food does not just affect our global emissions, but has a wider environmental impact, such as on biodiversity.

"We live on a planet where nature is being squeezed out" says Mike Barrett, executive director of science and conservation at the World Wildlife Fund.
"Half of all habitable land is used for agriculture, and three-quarters of that land is used to feed and raise livestock."

Mr Barrett says: "To feed a growing world population, it's far more efficient to use land to produce crops that people can consume directly, and to have a fair global approach ensuring that parts of the world with diets high in meat and dairy shift towards more plant-based foods."

But no worries if you have money

Maybe you’re better than me at cooking stuff involving meat, or getting meat cheaply, but I think you can eat well more cheaply without meat than with it.

Though I think eating badly is likely cheaper if meat products are included. Vegan processed crap is often more expensive than meat-based processed crap.

If eating well is the goal (as is stated in the new “legally binding commitments”), then the plant-based goal seems easier to get to than the meat-based goal (quite aside from the environmental commitment obv).

Most online supermarkets have a min order value. My local one is £40. I've just been to the supermarket and spent £28 to feed me and 2 dogs for a week. So would have to buy 2 weeks of food at a time. Not sure fresh fruit and veg would last well for 2 weeks. :(

Most online supermarkets have a min order value. My local one is £40. I've just been to the supermarket and spent £28 to feed me and 2 dogs for a week. So would have to buy 2 weeks of food at a time. Not sure fresh fruit and veg would last well for 2 weeks. :(
That's good going. You sharing theirs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom