Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wot?

You mean animals eating plants? Another reason to kill the fuckers.
We don't do so well eating grass. Cattle, on the other hand, love the stuff!
One thing I'm having a problem with is this... What are the vegans going to do with all the ruminants that start roaming the earth when they do away with cattle? I mean you can't have deer culls, so what's the plan?

We don't do so well eating grass. Cattle, on the other hand, love the stuff!
One thing I'm having a problem with is this... What are the vegans going to do with all the ruminants that start roaming the earth when they do away with cattle? I mean you can't have deer culls, so what's the plan?

Get tigers.

No, at night photosynthesis can't happen because its dark, so the process flips and plants emit CO2 and take in oxygen.

Plants only absorb carbon wilst its daylight and they can photosynthesise

So, just have the plants growing in northern latitudes in summer and southern ones in winter. This really isn't brain science.

There's someone on this thread who actually thinks that it's better for the environment if people stopped eating veg and ate beef instead.

Is there anyone else who agrees with this bizarre conclusion?

There's someone on this thread who actually thinks that it's better for the environment if people stopped eating veg and ate beef instead.

Is there anyone else who agrees with this bizarre conclusion?

No. Vegetables are healthier in general, regardless of climate change.

What do you think this pie chart proves?
It illustrates emissions by sector, from agriculture in the EU 27.

Seems pretty relevant to the continued assertion that beef is worse for the planet compared to any other agricultural sector. Given that we were until recently in the EU and their carbon accounting is about as good as it gets anywhere....

Seems pretty relevant to the continued assertion that beef is worse for the planet compared to any other agricultural sector. Given that we were until recently in the EU and their carbon accounting is about as good as it gets anywhere....
Except you're using it to 'prove' that it's better for the environment if people stopped eating veg and ate beef instead.

No it doesn't mate.

(hint, look at the measured output in the middle of the pie chart)

Meanwhile

Cows, pigs and other farm livestock in Europe are producing more greenhouse gases every year than all of the bloc’s cars and vans put together, when the impact of their feed is taken into account, according to a new analysis by Greenpeace.

The increase in meat and dairy production in Europe over the past decade has made farming a much greater source of emissions, but while governments have targeted renewable energy and transport in their climate policies, initiatives to reduce the impact of food and farming on the climate have lagged behind.

No it doesn't mate.

He's acting like a full on conspiracy nut, sweeping aside endless studies just because he's found a single piechart which he thinks somehow proves them all wrong.

No, at night photosynthesis can't happen because its dark, so the process flips and plants emit CO2 and take in oxygen.

Plants only absorb carbon wilst its daylight and they can photosynthesise
Yes, it can. Sort of. If the light reactions have happened in the day the dark reactions can happen at night. Only in some succulents mind. It's not what happens with normal C3 photosynthesis though.
Plants take CO2 and turn it in to O2.
No, they don't.

And here's the harsh reality of what's happening:

The Meat Atlas 2021 exposes that:

• Meat production is estimated to increase by 40 million tonnes by 2029, reaching 366 million tonnes of meat per year. To keep up with this, industrial animal farming is on the rise and keeps pushing sustainable models out of the market.
  • Globally, three quarters of agricultural land is used to raise animals or the crops to feed them. Livestock farming and soybean cultivation are the biggest contributors to deforestation, whose effects include soaring emissions, destruction of indigenous communities’ and small farmers’ livelihoods, and pandemics.
  • The food sector accounts for between 21% and 37% of global greenhouse-gas emissions. Emissions from industrial animal farming account for around 57% of this.
  • Taken together, 20 livestock firms are responsible for more greenhouse-gas emissions than Germany, Britain or France. The six of them that are headquartered in the European Union have not disclosed the total emissions from their supply chains.
  • Agribusiness corporations dominate the market. They operate giant slaughterhouses with often poor working conditions that sparked several COVID-19 mass outbreaks.
  • Between 2015 and 2020, global meat and dairy companies received over 478 billion US dollars in backing from 2,500 investment firms, banks, and pension funds, most of them based in North America or Europe.

Wait, what? How is the packaging and transportation of meat not connected to the meat production and distribution industry?
How is it directly connected to meat per se? Since that was my point.

Eating meat and the nature of the supply chain are two separate things, as my example of people keeping chickens domestically illustrated

How is it directly connected to meat per se? Since that was my point.

Eating meat and the nature of the supply chain are two separate things, as my example of people keeping chickens domestically illustrated

Another poster who has lost the plot with extra-advanced gold standard whataboutery. The percentage of people keeping chickens is absolutely microscopic.

But now you're here, do you also believe it's better for the environment if people stopped eating veg and ate beef instead?

i dont think he understands what whataboutery means tbh
Actually I do, thanks.

the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue

No it doesn't mate.

(hint, look at the measured output in the middle of the pie chart)
It's the same pie chart but 2020 and not 2019 :facepalm:

From your source: 1000px-Output_of_the_agricultural_industry_in_the_EU,_2020_(%_share_of_total_output).png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom