Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although on that last count, we always seem to focus on food, when assorted beings have to die for a wide variety of products,.
Of course. But that's the nature of life on earth, isn't it? Things need to die to grow plants successfully (food or otherwise). Animals out compete each other for resources, which means some die.

One of the reasons I can accept slaughter is that it's so much more pleasant than any other death nature seems to offer animals.

One of the reasons I can accept slaughter is that it's so much more pleasant than any other death nature seems to offer animals.

Moreso than it offers humans in a lot of cases, but vegans would say this doesn't justify taking human life, so there may be a flaw there.

Moreso than it offers humans in a lot of cases, but vegans would say this doesn't justify taking human life, so there may be a flaw there.
Oh, I'm acutely aware of that. Humans often die horribly behind closed doors in "civillised" society. If I had to choose (and I know I won't get to), I'd much prefer an instantaneous death that I didn't know was coming.

Animals are not humans. I believe in the concept of society and civilisation and therefore can differentiate the two quite easily. I believe that we should treat the animals as well as we can, but that also means we understand the animal itself and avoid anthropomorphism

In a thread about environmentalism, talking about the ethics of killing is as much of a diversion as it would be to discuss recipe preferences.

Reactions: pug
In a thread about environmentalism, talking about the ethics of killing is as much of a diversion as it would be to discuss recipe preferences.
Always ends up happening though doesn't it?

I suppose that was probably the reason behind the massive oversimplification in the work of Poore et al

Poore is well known for his views.
As for fascism, its you who, by your own admission despises humans, not me.

Hey, page me when people - yourself included - stop justifying the pointless systematic torture and slaughter of other sentient beings and I'll revise my misanthropic perspective. Until then humanity can go fuck itself. lol.

Hey, page me when people - yourself included - stop justifying the pointless systematic torture and slaughter of other sentient beings and I'll revise my misanthropic perspective. Until then humanity can go fuck itself. lol.
There's no need for anybody to justify killing animals for food.
Maybe stick up a poll to see who agrees with you?

I'd be careful about that. I remember an episode of Jamie Oliver (spit) where he demonstrated how mechanically reclaimed meat was made. All the kids went "yuck" at the results but it didn't put any off them off chicken nuggets. Later he took them to a small holding and pulled some carrots out of the ground and dusted them off. None of the kids would eat them because they had been in the ground. :D

So showing kids how their food is produced could lead to them eating more meat and less veg. :eek:

I think vegans are the reason people are eating more meat. People have met them and are going out of their way not to turn into one.

Meat consumption has been dropping here for a while (since 2010 if I remember correctly). It is India and China that are driving the increased demand right now.

I'm not sure even the thread starter knows what the thread is meant to be about.
It’s about the inevitability that meat consumption must fall, as it’s a disproportionate source of climate damage and if climate change is to be addressed, then such an obvious “target“ will not be ignored by those who pull the polical levers, just because most of us still like to eat meat.

How we get there, I don’t know, but i suppose ever improving meat substitutes will proliferate so we can still feel like we are frying a pan full of mince for our spag bol.

I find it an interesting topic as it’s counterintuitive, no, more than that - almost unimaginable to some of us set in our ways - and yet I see it must happen. Over 20% who chose the last option in the poll don’t see it - time will tell I guess.

The discussion about ethics is an off topic diversion as people have pointed out, but just because I started the thread I don’t feel like I need to be a policeman popping up to tell people what they’re allowed to post.

Last edited:
Ive been Vegetarian since I was left home at 17 but also dont believe meat as a food stuff will ever disappear so cant answer the single option poll.
Personally I stopped eating meat for moral reasons after poking my head into a battery chicken shed.
I have no problem with meat as food and think its natural, I do have massive issues with modern farming and meat production (as it is shamelessly termed), its not just about humane slaughter (a baffling term in itself)
Its even more about how an animal is treated and regarded when living

I've lived some years on a farm and know what many of the fuckers do
In General they are very hard working but absolutely can not be trusted

As the UK dairy herd is larger than the beef herd, why focus on meat production if your case is on an environmental basis.

At least beef cattle get a, albeit short, life.

Dairy calves do not.

It’s about the inevitability that meat consumption must fall, as it’s a disproportionate source of climate damage and if climate change is to be addressed, then such an obvious “target“ will not be ignored by those who pull the polical levers, just because most of us still like to eat meat.

How we get there, I don’t know, but i suppose ever improving meat substitutes will proliferate so we can still feel like we are frying a pan full of mince for our spag bol.

I find it an interesting topic as it’s counterintuitive, no, more than that - almost unimaginable to some of us set in our ways - and yet I see it must happen. Over 20% who chose the last option in the poll don’t see it - time will tell I guess.

The discussion about ethics is an off topic diversion as people have pointed out, but just because I started the thread I don’t feel like I need to be a policeman popping up to tell people what they’re allowed to post.

That helps clarify where the confusion is coming from, so thanks for the reply.

You have confused a "fall" with elimination, you have also failed to recognise that meat demand is falling in the UK anyway, and you don't seem to grasp where the rise is happening, the extent of it, or why (which is a bit of a tangled web). Also, all of your language is framed in terms of narcissistic consumer choices, as opposed to the cultural and systemic changes that would be required to cut the overall amount of agricultural emissions.

If there was meant to be a "track" for this thread, it's not surprising we have gone off it.

Trouble is that the climate damage is less than 20% from meat production. It's a piddling amount with far bigger fish to fry like transport, power generation and heating. Tackling those will have a much bigger affect on climate change than reducing meat consumption. It's like changing your lights for LEDs and then having the heating on full blast and opening the windows to regulate the temperature. :(

Trouble is that the climate damage is less than 20% from meat production. It's a piddling amount with far bigger fish to fry like transport, power generation and heating. Tackling those will have a much bigger affect on climate change than reducing meat consumption. It's like changing your lights for LEDs and then having the heating on full blast and opening the windows to regulate the temperature. :(

Part of the reason it gets focused on is corporate/political mis-direction.
It's true that if you live in the richer world, then as an average schmo it's probably the single simplest change someone can make to reduce their personal impact, but this gets emphasised endlessly as a motive to keep the focus on individual behaviour, as we have discussed in the past.

It's true that if you live in the richer world, then as an average schmo it's probably the single simplest change someone can make to reduce their personal impact,
I'd say spending a couple of hours in the loft putting in extra insulation will have a bigger personal impact. Do it then get on with your life instead of spending hours looking at food labels to check there's no animal products in them. :(

And do you think that we have the luxury of ignoring all sources of climate damage which are not the biggest? Your argument is fatuous, that meat production isn’t the largest problem and might therefore just as well be ignored. Obviously all avenues to reduce carbon emissions will need to be pursued in parallel! If you don’t realise that, you haven’t begun to comprehend what the response to climate change will look like.

One fifth is not a 'piddling amount' by any fucking measure and - unlike heating and power generation - it's not essential because there's plenty of readily available alternatives.

As the UK dairy herd is larger than the beef herd, why focus on meat production if your case is on an environmental basis.

At least beef cattle get a, albeit short, life.

Dairy calves do not.
They do nowadays - dairy industry is the beef industry.

Most dairy cows will be put to a meat bull most of the time and those calves are destined for beef (we use Aberdeen Angus). The only time they go to a diary bull/ are inseminated with dairy semen is to breed replacements. We now have sexed semen, which means only heifers will be born (and retained into the milking herd). Where sexed semen is not used the black and white bull calves are now often raised for beef on a scheme- Waitrose do one, I used to know someone who raised black and whites for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom