Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the world eat meat reared in that way? Probably not, no. So what? I’m not trying to say what the world should do. The point is simply that things are more complicated than just “all meat destroys the planet and vegetarian food is necessarily superior as an axiomatic principle”
No one believes that. Of course a minority of meat production is less harmful than some vegan/vegetarian foods. The point is that the vast majority of greenhouse gases in food production come from meat and dairy.

Also, the methane cycle is a thing that has existed since ruminants. The global cattle herd is falling in number and has been for some time, half the world relies on rice for basic nutrition.

Perhaps we ought to be looking at all of the other atmospheric sources of methane that are not natural?
yeh. you're not really supporting your point about rice being the greatest agricultural source of methane. some figures or references would be nice.

incidentally, has anyone mentioned how all the things currently made from cows would in a meat-free future be produced? apart from leather and gelatin, things like car bodies apparently have a glue made from beef, asphalt, soap and crayons?

I expect alternatives for most of them wouldn't be a problem. Was interested to see the list of pharmaceutical products, though (which I'm sure come from a tiny proportion of the cows used for meat tbf).

incidentally, has anyone mentioned how all the things currently made from cows would in a meat-free future be produced? apart from leather and gelatin, things like car bodies apparently have a glue made from beef, asphalt, soap and crayons?
Never mind those things - how would crops be grown in a livestock free world, especially with fossil fuel sources getting too expensive? What use will we have for all the parts of plants we don't eat that we've invested resources in to grow (wheat not making the grade for milling, straw, spent brewers grains, beet pulp after sugar is made etc etc)? What happens to all the land unsuitable for cropping? How will the population cope with the massive reduction in food and the price increases that will come along with it?

This is why it's not very constructive to talk about "animals agriculture" and "cropping".

Never mind those things - how would crops be grown in a livestock free world, especially with fossil fuel sources getting too expensive? What use will we have for all the parts of plants we don't eat that we've invested resources in to grow (wheat not making the grade for milling, straw, spent brewers grains, beet pulp after sugar is made etc etc)? What happens to all the land unsuitable for cropping? How will the population cope with the massive reduction in food and the price increases that will come along with it?

This is why it's not very constructive to talk about "animals agriculture" and "cropping".
Pure whataboutery. Meat bad!

I haven't mentioned either animals agriculture or cropping

Well sourced, ethically farmed meat....
...takes up a microscopically small amount of the meat that is produced, so it's pretty much pointless bringing it up in a discussion about the very real damage caused by the meat industry.

Although not every one may agree that there's much ethics in slaughtering animals, anyway.

and as i said earlier...a large off shoot of the meat industry is pet food....dogs would most likely be ok but cats are obligate carnivores....are people gonna advocate large scale euthanasia for pets ?

and as i said earlier...a large off shoot of the meat industry is pet food....dogs would most likely be ok but cats are obligate carnivores....are people gonna advocate large scale euthanasia for pets ?
Mass spaying would solve the issue in ten years or so and make a lot of birds happy.

...takes up a microscopically small amount of the meat that is produced, so it's pretty much pointless bringing it up in a discussion about the very real damage caused by the meat industry.

Although not every one may agree that there's much ethics in slaughtering animals, anyway.

a vegan source is hardly objective on the ethical aspect.

a vegan source is hardly objective on the ethical aspect.

A vegan opinion piece, at that.

What so many vegheads misunderstand is that meat eaters reject their moral stanpoint on the killing of animals and that most of us are perfectly ok with it. We have many views of what are and aren't acceptable farming practices.

Many vegetarians and vegans accepts this and just get on with things. Just not the loudest ones!

A vegan opinion piece, at that.

What so many vegheads misunderstand is that meat eaters reject their moral stanpoint on the killing of animals and that most of us are perfectly ok with it. We have many views of what are and aren't acceptable farming practices.

Many vegetarians and vegans accepts this and just get on with things. Just not the loudest ones!
I wouldn't say we 'accept' it, I'd say we just say nothing in the same way most people say nothing about dogs shitting in the street or people speeding or littering. It's just not worth the argument most of the time. But silence doesn't imply consent / acceptance, and shouldn't be taken to.

I wouldn't say we 'accept' it, I'd say we just say nothing in the same way most people say nothing about dogs shitting in the street or people speeding or littering. It's just not worth the argument most of the time. But silence doesn't imply consent / acceptance, and shouldn't be taken to.
I simply don't grant some animals, given that we don't eat from the entire smorgasboard of animal life on earth, exemption from being eaten. Within that I think we should treat them well. But nuance is often the first casualty of a conversation with a vegan. For example, a high profile clown like Earthling Ed. Flying around the world and delivering lectures to kids on how cows will fart the world to apocalypse

You have to accept that other people's opinions and moral views differ to yours. The alternative is to shout, scream, and stamp your feet about it on internet bulletin boards like frothing loons, and that just entrenches opinions.

Well, there's nothing to be gained by taking every opportunity to criticise everything in the world we disagree with or find offensive. It's a question of picking battles - but not arguing with someone doesn't imply any degree of acceptance of their actions. Tolerance is how I'd characterise it, not so much acceptance.

Well, there's nothing to be gained by taking every opportunity to criticise everything in the world we disagree with or find offensive. It's a question of picking battles - but not arguing with someone doesn't imply any degree of acceptance of their actions. Tolerance is how I'd characterise it, not so much acceptance.
In what way to we not accept our actions?
I've been in abattoirs, I still eat meat.

In what way to we not accept our actions?
I've been in abattoirs, I still eat meat.
What percentage of meat eaters would you guess have visited abattoirs?

Personally, I think schoolkids should be invited/encouraged to see the vile, cruel industry that gets the meat/dairy/eggs to their tables real close up. Pretty sure there'd be a lot more vegans/veggies as a result.

are you suggesting we should eat the Vegans? (but only if they are ethically farmed?)

Generally speaking (there are exceptions) in western culture, we tend only to eat herbivorous mamals, so vegans would seem to be an ideal addition to a carnist diet. Then there's the population reduction angle to consider ...

Generally speaking (there are exceptions) in western culture, we tend only to eat herbivorous mamals, so vegans would seem to be an ideal addition to a carnist diet. Then there's the population reduction angle to consider ...
2 birds, 1 stone. Everyone's a winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom