Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morrisons are doing a trial feeding seaweed supplements to cattle that can cut methane production by up to 80%. :cool:

Was reading about seaweed - seems a lot can be farmed sustainably and some varieties have B12 in them, so also good for feeding humans directly (well, good anyway, but makes a nice vegan B12 source too).
Then again, I'm Welsh and love a bit of laverbread. Some of the Saesneg can be a bit weird about it.

Last edited:
That's great, but most of agricultural emissions of methane come from rice paddies.....

That may be true in terms of total methane emissions, but when you consider methane emissions per kilo of food product, beef is in a league of its own:

GHG-emissions-by-food-type-with-and-without-CH4.png

It's total amount of shit we dump in the atmosphere that counts though.
Also, the methane cycle is a thing that has existed since ruminants. The global cattle herd is falling in number and has been for some time, half the world relies on rice for basic nutrition.

Perhaps we ought to be looking at all of the other atmospheric sources of methane that are not natural?

True, though you lose a lot more of the food supply from, say, cutting rice production in half than by cutting beef production by three quarters.
You won't lose any by cutting beef production if other ruminants then take up that space within the environment, wild or farmed.

You'd have to also have a cull of wild ruminants that encroached on those spaces (in the UK that would probably be deer)

You won't lose any by cutting beef production if other ruminants then take up that space within the environment, wild or farmed.

You'd have to also have a cull of wild ruminants that encroached on those spaces (in the UK that would probably be deer)

I don’t think the massive intensive feedlots in the States and Brazil would spontaneously fill up with a similar density of ruminants. Especially the rainforest areas.

I don’t think the massive intensive feedlots in the States and Brazil would spontaneously fill up with a similar density of ruminants. Especially the rainforest areas.
Animals are only finished in feedlots - ranched beef tends to be suckler based, so will be at grass for a lot of it's life.

But equally, the land area used to support them in terms of grass for hay/silage etc (I know a finishers diet is also made up of grains) should also not support ruminants to make the reduction meaningful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom