Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I do wonder how much anyone knew about other people's abuse even while suffering their own. Abusers can be very good at keeping it quiet.

Nothing yet from the Hannigan/Denisof household - godparents to Whedon's child I believe. Nor Amy Acker

David Boreanaz has apparently deleted almost everything off his Instagram and his twitter has been locked for months. I know he had his own sexual harassment accusations on Bones and apparently withdrew from a lot of his social media after posting something in support of LGBT+ rights and getting stick for it.

Nic Brendon has his own history of assault so not sure how useful it would be to hear from him - and he may be aware of that himself

Last edited:
Oh, here's J August Richards:

EuDYS0yXIAM2GH8.jpg

Quite a few people on social media were quick off the mark to condemn the male cast members for not speaking up (I even saw Anthony Head being called out many hours after he'd been on live television speaking about it). It felt a little unfair at first when, as above, some of them may have been reaching out privately before making public statements

ETA: contrary to what I said above (since edited), Eliza Dushku has publicly offered her support to CC

Last edited:
I do wonder how much anyone knew about other people's abuse even while suffering their own. Abusers can be very good at keeping it quiet.

Nothing yet from the Hannigan/Denisof household - godparents to Whedon's child I believe. Nor Amy Acker

David Boreanaz has apparently deleted almost everything off his Instagram and his twitter has been locked for months. I know he had his own sexual harassment accusations on Bones and apparently withdrew from a lot of his social media after posting something in support of LGBT+ rights and getting stick for it.

Nic Brendon has his own history of assault so not sure how useful it would be to hear from him - and he may be aware of that himself
Screenshot_20210213-144102_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm trying not to pay too much attention to who has and hasn't said anything publicly personally. We can't know what is going on for people or what they might have experienced or feel trapped by.

I'm trying not to pay too much attention to who has and hasn't said anything publicly personally. We can't know what is going on for people or what they might have experienced or feel trapped by.
Agreed. Posting in a stream of consciousness style while still poking around for info, which is probably bad, soz.

One thing that certain abusers do is cut off their victim by doing it in secret and leaving them unsure of who they can rely on for support. Which would explain AH and JM's statements

I never had the least inclination to watch this series, though I was aware it had a big fan base and surprisingly far better critical reviews than I’d expected.

But having recently enjoyed another teen-oriented series I had presumed would also be shit, I’ve started watching this today. Not bad. I get the feeling Anthony Head clearly enjoyed working in this :D

I never had the least inclination to watch this series, though I was aware it had a big fan base and surprisingly far better critical reviews than I’d expected.

But having recently enjoyed another teen-oriented series I had presumed would also be shit, I’ve started watching this today. Not bad. I get the feeling Anthony Head clearly enjoyed working in this :D

I know a lot of my friends (and my pre wife) loved it, but I just wasn't really interested . . . except for the excellent musical episode, which is not going to be harder to enjoy.

Met Head a couple of times, he was lovely. I am inclined to believe his statement on the subject.

There's an interview with James Marsters I linked to above where he talks about working with Anthony Head - Marsters initially thought he'd easily steal the scenes he did with Head because Head wasn't really doing much. When he watched them back he realised AH had acted the shit out of them and effortlessly carried the scene. He was excellent for the exposition scenes that nobody really wants to do because they're boring and he actually made them some of the best bits

There's an interview with James Marsters I linked to above where he talks about working with Anthony Head - Marsters initially thought he'd easily steal the scenes he did with Head because Head wasn't really doing much. When he watched them back he realised AH had acted the shit out of them and effortlessly carried the scene. He was excellent for the exposition scenes that nobody really wants to do because they're boring and he actually made them some of the best bits

I sae him in a play a few years ago at The Chocolate Factory in Borough, its a tiny theatre and we were in the front row, I had to sit on my hands to stop myself from trying to touch him :D
I was so overcome when the cast first came onstage I was trying to cry as silently as possible :oops:

I sae him in a play a few years ago at The Chocolate Factory in Borough, its a tiny theatre and we were in the front row, I had to sit on my hands to stop myself from trying to touch him :D
I was so overcome when the cast first came onstage I was trying to cry as silently as possible :oops:
This is pretty much how I felt when I saw Jason Mewes the other year and he performed the "Who smokes the blunts?" rap. It was like being in the presence of Jesus tbh

David Boreanaz has returned to social media to support CC, who has acknowledged his private support as well. Amy Acker, Adam Busch (Warren), Marti Noxon & Jose Molina (writer on Firefly) have all made statements. You can go find the detail of these on Pink News or straight to the source on Twitter

Nicolas Brendon is apparently awaiting spinal surgery and his partner is handling his social media

Following my post of a few weeks ago, we’ve nearly finished the second to last season. Up until nearly the end of S2 I couldn’t understand why this enjoyed cult status as well as critical acclaim from even the likes of newspapers and websites who wouldn’t normally be seen dead praising a populist teen fantasy series. At times S1 was cringeworthy tbh.

But admittedly it got a lot better from the latter part of S2, and at times great. I can see now why the episode about Buffy’s mother’s death is widely described as one of the greatest episodes in TV history. Some very enjoyable ones as well, like the chocolate turning the grown ups into randy teenagers, the one when they all lose their voice, and the musical one. Loads of absurd plot holes though, even for the genre.

Finished Buffy. Liked it a lot more than I spent my whole life thinking I would.

On the back of that we’ve started Angel, which three seasons in is as good if no better. I had expected not to enjoy it much because Angel himself was insufferably boring for much of Buffy, but he’s so much more rounded and likeable a character in this.

In fact, a lot of regular characters from Buffy are orders of magnitude improved here. Obviously no more so than Cordelia, who goes from annoying superficial surplus in Buffy to about the most caring and enjoyable about. Even the embarrassingly silly and badly written character of Harmony was instantly better in the one episode we’ve seen her so far, and I understand she becomes a major player in latter seasons.

I’m actually enjoying Angel more. Almost every episode is pretty good, whereas Buffy had all sorts.

Watching Sharpe on the telly just now (DON'T JUDGE ME, I'm tired and hungover... ) and it's got Alexis Denisof in it. Feels a bit weird that he's playing English in an English show but hey.... (Just thought I'd share with the group.)

(It's also got Philip Glenister playing Sharpe's brother and Douglas Henshall doing posh English :thumbs:.)

I was just watching a film and Warren turned up. I didn’t recognise him at first because he’s 40-odd and bearded but hearing the voice was like suddenly going back 20 years

I was just watching a film and Warren turned up. I didn’t recognise him at first because he’s 40-odd and bearded but hearing the voice was like suddenly going back 20 years
He appears (even than younger than in Buffy) in Leon, bringing our hero a glass of milk.

James Marsters aka Spike was for me the breakthrough character of the entire series. I’ve just checked his filmography and whereas he’s been working throughout since the end of Buffy and Angel, you could argue that his subsequent repertoire is not as high profile as could have been.

Back
Top Bottom