Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I am currently rewatching, and due to illness have watched about half of series 2 over the last two days. Out of all of the things to cause issues with my suspension of disbelief, how did Buffy’s mum not worry about a middle age man continually hanging out with her daughter? Particularly on any occasion when she turns up in hospital!

I am currently rewatching, and due to illness have watched about half of series 2 over the last two days. Out of all of the things to cause issues with my suspension of disbelief, how did Buffy’s mum not worry about a middle age man continually hanging out with her daughter? Particularly on any occasion when she turns up in hospital!
I have been working my way through a current rewatch and this very thing also only occurred to me this time round.
Maybe it was because it was (thankfully) just so integral to the show how Giles was only ever a paternal role in Buffy's life.

II have also found that I have afforded Dawn a lot more sympathy this time round.
She is still annoying though :D

"Get out! Get out! Get out!"

I have been working my way through a current rewatch and this very thing also only occurred to me this time round.
Maybe it was because it was (thankfully) just so integral to the show how Giles was only ever a paternal role in Buffy's life.

II have also found that I have afforded Dawn a lot more sympathy this time round.
She is still annoying though :D

"Get out! Get out! Get out!"
I, for moments, keep thinking about how all Buffy’s behaviour would seem to Joyce and other adults not in the know. I suspect it’s a stage of life thing! Last complete rewatch was when I was pregnant with or breastfeeding my eldest. Now she’s approaching adolescence!

On the subject of different perspectives at different ages, a few of the Bronze scenes in Band Candy actually just look like normal drunk adults :oops::D

The musical episode of Buffy is the best/only bearable one off musical episode of a TV show EVER. Prove me wrong… :mad::D
'Glee' episode of Community?

Weirdly, was thinking about this the other day after watching The Marvels. I think the above episode is one of the few I actually enjoy/can stand.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure Once More With Feeling isn't another.

'Glee' episode of Community?
I find both Community musical episodes completely unwatchable. 😭

I appreciate it’s a YMMV thing but the thing that OMWF does that I don’t recall others doing is treat the exercise as a miniature, self contained musical. So a proper overture at the beginning, reprises later on, overlaying singing melodies etc. It feels like musical theatre rather than TV with songs in it, and IMPO that’s what stops it being cringe.

I think I might have to watch Crazy Ex Girlfriend again soon. :oops:

Happened to watch the Scrubs one recently, it is pretty good and does a lot of the same things that worked for OMWF.

It gives an in-universe reason for music / singing, has good mix of original songs (sillier in general but it is a comedy) and does some nice stuff with the usual tropes.

Personally, I think it's better than most musicals, and I want to like musicals but they're mostly disappointing.
I really like musicals when I think they’re done well but can’t stand others. This isn’t always directly linked to critical acclaim. There’s something about Les Mis that makes me want to break things for example.

Happened to watch the Scrubs one recently, it is pretty good and does a lot of the same things that worked for OMWF.

It gives an in-universe reason for music / singing, has good mix of original songs (sillier in general but it is a comedy) and does some nice stuff with the usual tropes.
Maybe I need to try rewatching it again, but I really do remember spending half of it cringing behind a pillow and not managing to finish - and I really WANTED to like it. 😭 On the flip side I don’t think CEG ever did an awful song in all three seasons.

I appreciate it’s a YMMV thing but the thing that OMWF does that I don’t recall others doing is treat the exercise as a miniature, self contained musical. So a proper overture at the beginning, reprises later on, overlaying singing melodies etc. It feels like musical theatre rather than TV with songs in it, and IMPO that’s what stops it being cringe.

Have you watched Oz? The musical episode of that is... quite something. Does The Nightman Cometh count as a musical episode?

have you watched Zoe and the Extraordinary Playlist? might be on prime (was on ch4 so might be on 4player). very well done singing for no reason.

I usually find I can't stand most musical episodes (Buffy and Scrubs excluded), but for some reason I'll happily watch Central Park where every episode is a musical.

I don't remember seeing any of the other musical episodes people have mentioned, so can't comment on those, but all the netflix crap like Riverdale that can't go more than a few episodes without a musical number can definitely fuck right off.

Has anyone listened to the podcast? Is it any good? I don't have an audible subscription, but could do a trial if it's good.

Original cast members from the beloved TV series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, reunite for an all-new adventure about connections that never die—even if you bury them.

A decade has passed since the epic final battle that concluded Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV). The game-changing spell that gave power to all potential Slayers persists. With new Slayers constantly emerging, things are looking grim for the bad guys. Rebellious vampire Spike (James Marsters) is working undercover in Los Angeles with his old pal Clem (James Charles Leary) when he meets feisty, rookie Slayer, Indira (Laya DeLeon Hayes), who wants Spike to be her mentor. Stakes intensify as Cordelia Chase (Charisma Carpenter) emerges from an alternate reality where she alone is the Slayer, and Buffy Summers doesn’t exist. Cordelia enlists Spike’s help with a classic big bad terrorizing her world…his ex, Drusilla (Juliet Landau). Giles (Anthony Head), Anya (Emma Caulfield Ford), Jonathan (Danny Strong), and Tara (Amber Benson) also return, but through the years and the vastness of the multiverse, not everyone is who they used to be…

Slayers: A Buffyverse Story is written and directed by Amber Benson and Chris Golden, and co-directed by Kc Wayland.

Back
Top Bottom