Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Angel has some of my favourite episodes of the whole Buffyverse. Series 1 was bobbins though, as was the final series.

ETA actually not the whole final series, just the rushed last few episodes

Angel has some of my favourite episodes of the whole Buffyverse. Series 1 was bobbins though, as was the final series.

ETA actually not the whole final series, just the rushed last few episodes
Oh it still breaks my heart what happens to Fred and how Wesley is so heart broken.

Oh it still breaks my heart what happens to Fred and how Wesley is so heart broken.

Fred's fate is possibly the worst of any TV character ever.

When other people in the Buffyverse die, they seem to go to an afterlife - Buffy went to another dimension that was basically heaven. It's not clear if they live forever, or just for their natural lifespan, or just for a while, or if it applies to everyone or just people killed by magical means, but there's somewhere some people go after death and it's heavenly. Fred's soul has been destroyed, something that had never happened to anyone else ever. So one of the nicest, gentlest people in the world, who had a hard fucking life, won't even get to go to heaven.

And Connor's just annoying.

Buffy managed a soap opera trope relatively successfully with Dawn - bringing in a teenage relative nobody had ever known before. She was still sometimes annoying and it wasn't just due to her being a teenager, but overall she was a good addition to the cast. Then they tried it again with Connor. Let's have a miraculous birth and then rapidly age them - straight out of Days of Our Lives. But he was dull. The actor looked like he was bored.

And his clothes were weird - that's the kind of top you wear under a t-shirt, not on its own. Cordelia should have taken him to the Gap. Don't know why that annoyed but every time he was on screen I kept wanting him to finish getting dressed. Maybe it annoyed because his character was so dull that my brain had to latch onto something to think about.

But there are some stand-out episodes, Lyla is fantastic, and I liked the series ending.

We only watched a bit of season on one, which was a bit rubbish. I am getting tempted to try harder though.

I think spoilers actually help a bit with Angel. Apart from Angel, Wesley (and, to an extent, Darla), and Lorne, they are totally fucked over - not in a good way (Wesley is fucked over but in a good way). But the storylines are still interesting, the acting is good, the dialogue is good, and it's a really pretty show, more than Buffy was.

The great thing about rewatching is that there are always great things that you had previously forgotten. Like the S3 episode where Buffy gains the ability to read minds. And in amongst the expected anxiety and sex and sexual anxiety with everybody trying to shield their thoughts, we find two gems. Firstly, we have taciturn Oz going into some deep shit about “I am my thoughts, so if Buffy can read them, does she become me? Does she become us all?” And even better, we find that everything Cordelia thinks, she immediately says one second later.

The great thing about rewatching is that there are always great things that you had previously forgotten. Like the S3 episode where Buffy gains the ability to read minds. And in amongst the expected anxiety and sex and sexual anxiety with everybody trying to shield their thoughts, we find two gems. Firstly, we have taciturn Oz going into some deep shit about “I am my thoughts, so if Buffy can read them, does she become me? Does she become us all?” And even better, we find that everything Cordelia thinks, she immediately says one second later.

I've been rewatching with the boy, and honestly, just appreciating Cordelia more than ever these days :D :cool: Her delivery - as with that scene- is just so perfect, and she takes no shit. Increasingly find myself channelling her at work tbh.

I liked Angel almost as much as Buffy and as it goes on it becomes much more of an ensemble show (like Buffy) so the focus isn’t all on him if you don’t like him. You’ve also got some of the best Buffy characters becoming part of the cast of Angel. On a few occasions a storyline started in one show continues in the other, so when I rewatched Buffy I also rewatched all of Angel in the order the episodes of both shows were transmitted originally.

With both Buffy and Angel the title characters weren’t my favorites, I thought the supporting characters were far stronger.

Back
Top Bottom