Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Now I’m the same age as Giles I have a rather different perspective on all the characters. I no longer see Xander as just lovable and the heart of the team. He now seems to me to be shallow, selfish and the cause of a lot of problems as a result of being unable to empathise and communicate (so a teenage boy, then). Spike I still love as a character but he doesn’t seem cool but instead tragic in a middle-aged man hanging around with teenage girls way. By contrast, Giles no longer seems stuffy but actually just perfectly reasonable and together! And Riley — whereas I once just thought he was a hard done by nice guy, I now think he’s a bit of a sap that needs to learn to relate to women as people rather than idols. Cordelia, however, I have much more sympathy for than I did originally. And Buffy herself I feel more sorry for than ever.

But I always loved Anya and still do. She’s the most reasonable and insightful of them all, and she deserved better treatment from the rest of them.

Spike middle-aged? He's about 500! Tho I guess he is stuck around the age he was sired, so ten years older than the others. And Giles was always cool cos he is /was a librarian.

In other news, when re-watching season 7 on DVD, do remember that 'Help' is the title of episode four. Assuming it is some slightly unusual feature to the disc will mean you are quite confused when Cassie crops up in Conversations With the Dead. And you'll have missed an excellent episode.

Spike middle-aged? He's about 500! Tho I guess he is stuck around the age he was sired, so ten years older than the others. And Giles was always cool cos he is /was a librarian.
Actually, I think he’s about 125 IIRC

The episode in which Buffy and Faith switch bodies — both SMG and Eliza Dushku (particularly Eliza Dishku) do a really amazing job of “being” the other person. Eliza Dishku is at times a more convincing Buffy than Buffy is, whilst SMG is initially such a convincing psycho that I found myself wishing she’d played those parts more often.

I had a dream last night where Nicholas Brendon had got a job enforcing social distancing rules at a Tescos in Swindon.

I think it was Swindon. One of those M4 dormitories anyway.
Pretty sure those are the only kind of jobs he's getting these days.

I watched another series 1 episode last night, where an ignored girl becomes invisible and goes on a violent rampage. As they're identifying her via the missing person records, Xander says to Willow (Alyson Hannigan) that the girl played the flute.

When he first turns up they make a fuss about how young he is before discovering he'd killed two slayers.

The episode in which Buffy and Faith switch bodies — both SMG and Eliza Dushku (particularly Eliza Dishku) do a really amazing job of “being” the other person. Eliza Dishku is at times a more convincing Buffy than Buffy is, whilst SMG is initially such a convincing psycho that I found myself wishing she’d played those parts more often.

Totally agreed. And the bit where Faith in Buffy's body realises that Tara and Willow are lovers, just from the way Tara looks at Willow, and then tells Tara how much Willow loved shagging Oz - brilliantly done.

Absolutely this, I've always thought so. Hugely underrated performances on both sides.

It’s no wonder all these daemons turn up and think they can beat Buffy. She can’t punch for toffee. Even in season seven she just pushes her arm forward, absolutely no body weight behind it, not even leaning in with her shoulder. At least she gets a decent speed up for her spinning kicks.

It’s no wonder all these daemons turn up and think they can beat Buffy. She can’t punch for toffee. Even in season seven she just pushes her arm forward, absolutely no body weight behind it, not even leaning in with her shoulder. At least she gets a decent speed up for her spinning kicks.
Magic.

That's (literally) fighting talk, belboid. She'd so whip your ass. :D

Rewatching the odd episode lately you see SMG's martial arts training paying off. However watching Faith fight (it occurred to me in the Zeppo I think) she makes it look more of a struggle without as many fancy moves. It's kind of how you'd expect someone untrained granted magical strength might fight.

Back
Top Bottom