Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Josh Whedon seems to be working on something else now. He appears to have kept a low profile since the Justice League movie/debacle.

The Nevers sounds interesting but very much in his safe wheelhouse (from that Wiki - "an epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world"), being on HBO and a period piece might force him to stretch himself a little though.

I’ve been rewatching on Amazon Prime (which predated its C4 showing). I’d forgotten actually that the first two series are definitely warming up, not the finished article.

I’ve been rewatching on Amazon Prime (which predated its C4 showing). I’d forgotten actually that the first two series are definitely warming up, not the finished article.
I thought it got going by season 2. Season 1 is the reason I gave up on Buffy after a few episodes and then I didn't get back to it for a few years.

Haven't watched the E4 showings, but based on the adverts, it's the botched remaster isn't it?

Oh I don't know. How?
Tbh after my PC died before Christmas, I downloaded a new full lot of the series and they are not the same, there are bits missing (and bloody in-episode ads on some).
The bit's missing was most noticeable on OMWF because it really sticks out when it is part of a song.

And sorry, I know torrenting is not great for the arts but I have bought the full lot twice since it first aired, once on VHS and once on DVD and I am not paying for it again :oops:

Oh I don't know. How?
Tbh after my PC died before Christmas, I downloaded a new full lot of the series and they are not the same, there are bits missing (and bloody in-episode ads on some).
The bit's missing was most noticeable on OMWF because it really sticks out when it is part of a song.

Yes, the ad-editing is crap, as it is on their episodes of Seinfeld. I'm guessing that these versions have fewer ads than the American originals, and they've done a half-arsed job in inserting their own.

I didn't know about that botched remastering, so thanks for that. Now I'm thinking that a big part of why I have thought the first two seasons look amateurish is because of the amateurish remastering rather than being part of the original.

Last edited:
So we’ve been rewatching series 6. Mine n mrsb’s first Christmas, I bought her 6&7 on vhs. We upgraded a few years ago but had never actually played them. After reading some of the recent posts on the remastered versions I was worried, but thankfully they’re fine.

Tonight we watched episode six. We were gonna stop there, but... it’s the episode before episode seven, so what could we do?

It really is all but perfect isn’t it? You couldn’t have all those revelations in another episode without it seeming ridiculous. The introduction of everyone’s themes. The way they make use of the ones who can sing and who can’t (buffy excepted, no choice there). The way you go ‘oh god, dawn cant sing’ and then... Magnificent.

Minute for minute it’s fit as many great lines as Casablanca and is as good a guide to making a musical as that is to classic film making.

They got the mustard out.

After a disastrous nights camping (60mph winds destroying three tents!) we lay on a sofa and could do nothing but watch another seven episodes. Which was great. Except it meant next up was The Wedding.

Xander is such a fucking dick! Everything that happens hereafter is his fault.

Of course, I’m really so excited because the next episode is the bestest ever.

Well it’s taken me 20 years but I’ve finally found something in Buffy that doesn’t make sense. At the end of the episode where we get introduced to Anyanka, Giles destroys her amulet to undo her wish. But if that works, it must surely undo ALL her wishes — why would it just be the last one reset to the moment she made that last wish come true?

And then you have the usual time travel paradoxes:
(A) all of history would be different because for hundreds of years, different people would be in different places doing different things
(B) even ignoring A, Anyanka specifically wouldn’t be in Sunnydale (since she has no powers), so wouldn’t meet Xander and the rest of the episodes wouldn’t play out as they do
(C) even ignoring A and B, Anyanka’s old boyfriend wouldn’t be a troll, so that whole storyline wouldn’t make sense.

I need my magical demon-making-wishes-come-true and creating-alternate-timelines stories to be logically accurate, dammit!

Well it’s taken me 20 years but I’ve finally found something in Buffy that doesn’t make sense. At the end of the episode where we get introduced to Anyanka, Giles destroys her amulet to undo her wish. But if that works, it must surely undo ALL her wishes — why would it just be the last one reset to the moment she made that last wish come true?

(A) all of history would be different because for hundreds of years, different people would be in different places doing different things
(B) even ignoring A, Anyanka specifically wouldn’t be in Sunnydale (since she has no powers), so wouldn’t meet Xander and the rest of the episodes wouldn’t play out as they do
(C) even ignoring A and B, Anyanka’s old boyfriend wouldn’t be a troll, so that whole storyline wouldn’t make sense.

I need my magical demon-making-wishes-come-true and creating-alternate-timelines stories to be logically accurate, dammit!

Why must it undo all her wishes? Maybe that is just not how it works...

Why must it undo all her wishes? Maybe that is just not how it works...
Bit weird, though, that smashing the source of her power undoes precisely one wish.

And lucky, if so, that she hadn’t granted another wish in the meantime.

Doesn't a lad she turned into a troll turn up later on?

E4 have switched to two episodes a night now. I watched a little last night. I had forgotten how good the mayor was

Doesn't a lad she turned into a troll turn up later on?

I think that was her husband from when she first became a vengeance demon back a millennia or so ago.
He got pulled through time/space/universes because of a hammer, I think.

Why wouldn't he be a troll if only the final wish was reversed?
I don’t buy the premise that it makes sense for only the final wish to be reversed. Yes, they were in the post-wish universe, but that was still also the universe of all the other wishes too. On top of that, Anya lost her powers back in the original universe as well as the wish one. She lost ALL her powers.

Back
Top Bottom