Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

When we watched Buffy for the first time we started six episodes into S2 so don't really know S1 too well. We've see most of the S1 episodes but not in order.

And they wonder why people download pirated copies.
The wife has just signed up for a netflix trial so will give a few episodes go on there. A good chance to see the quality versus a DVD. Added to previous concerns it also requires a rather vigorous stretch to reach the "B" shelf.

The one thing I really like about S1 is that you just KNOW it's going to get awesome really quickly.

I loved it first watch but after you've seen the rest it is very much a first season imo....it's just not as good as the others.
I went to the cinema to watch Star Trek Insurrection instead of watching the first two episodes when they were first shown on BBC but recorded them and watched them later. Looking back I should of saved my money and watched them twice.

Don't know if I said it, but have started watching it again from the start... Xander is underrated really, isn't he? Just watched him in his speedos today, season 2, when he joins the swimming team ;) And in terms of viability, he really is the most decent guy of the lot (think this has been discussed before anyway, and Giles, but in this context he's too old for Buffy).

Don't know if I said it, but have started watching it again from the start... Xander is underrated really, isn't he? Just watched him in his speedos today, season 2, when he joins the swimming team ;) And in terms of viability, he really is the most decent guy of the lot (think this has been discussed before anyway, and Giles, but in this context he's too old for Buffy).

Yeah he is quite underrated but I think that's the point.
He is the only one that has (or at least doesn't develop) any powers of some kind.
He is the reliable brotherly character that is a vital member of the team as he keeps them kind grounded.
He is almost the devils advocate or conscience like person at times.

Rewatching it I've just thought Xander was a bit of a dick a lot of the time especially early on but I think part of it is because he isn't as pretentious as the other characters. Buffy with her Slayer I want to be/don't want to be the heroine. Angel with his attention seeking brooding shit. Willow with all her I'm so smart, magical and just want to fight evil. Giles as Willow but with self doubt about his effectiveness and should be more than he is - winning TV quizzes and the like but settling for being a pawn of the Watchers Council a lot of the time even when it is conflict with his super duper male role model schtick. Xander sort of limps along doing what he does. If he comes accross as a dick it is because he is telling the truth and is the only one inside the little bubble in which they live that does it. Other times it comesfrom outsiders and like Cordelia, Spike, the Mayor etc and we all think they have a point. When Xander says similar it seems harsh because he's a friend.

Rewatching it I've just thought Xander was a bit of a dick a lot of the time especially early on but I think part of it is because he isn't as pretentious as the other characters. Buffy with her Slayer I want to be/don't want to be the heroine. Angel with his attention seeking brooding shit. Willow with all her I'm so smart, magical and just want to fight evil. Giles as Willow but with self doubt about his effectiveness and should be more than he is - winning TV quizzes and the like but settling for being a pawn of the Watchers Council a lot of the time even when it is conflict with his super duper male role model schtick. Xander sort of limps along doing what he does. If he comes accross as a dick it is because he is telling the truth and is the only one inside the little bubble in which they live that does it. Other times it comesfrom outsiders and like Cordelia, Spike, the Mayor etc and we all think they have a point. When Xander says similar it seems harsh because he's a friend.

This is kinda of part of what I was trying to say but you said it better :D

I love Cordelia, was upset when she left last time and loving seeing her again :) the actress who plays her is a few years older than Buffy, I.e. my age. That's not why I like her btw :D I just love her lack of tact, I do that sometimes! I.e. blunt... Then feel bad about it..

I love Cordelia, was upset when she left last time and loving seeing her again :) the actress who plays her is a few years older than Buffy, I.e. my age. That's not why I like her btw :D I just love her lack of tact, I do that sometimes! I.e. blunt... Then feel bad about it..
Have you watched Angel?

I've just caught up on the Buffy comic books. My main feeling while reading them was that after 9 years of watching How I met Your Mother (I can't really justify why) it's weird to see Willow drawn as in her early 20s.

I've just caught up on the Buffy comic books. My main feeling while reading them was that after 9 years of watching How I met Your Mother (I can't really justify why) it's weird to see Willow drawn as in her early 20s.

I read Season 8, not decided whether to get season 9 or not yet. Maybe for Christmas.

I have not read any. Are they worth a look?

I have not read any. Are they worth a look?

I haven't read Season 9, Season 8 is interesting but embraces the comic book side of things much more (stuff you'd never imagine them doing on the show), so it's a bit divorced from 'proper' Buffy.

The Angel comics are actually better I reckon, as they directly follow on from S5 of Angel in a cool way.

Season 8 starts really well with the Whedon written issues but it goes of in a crazy direction after a while that I wasn't so wild on. Season 9 is better, with an idea that it would go 'back to basics' but despite a pretty brave start, it totally cops out on it's most important storyline in exchange for a silly twist. The start of season 10 has been the best so far. I've really enjoyed the issues that have already been released. The Angel books are definitely more consistent. They don't have quite the highs of the best Buffy issues but they avoid the stuff that I find too off the wall for the Buffyverse.

I bought all of the early ones (or 8den did as birthday/xmas presents for me) but I did torrent/rapidshare some of the later ones.

Back
Top Bottom