Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Going a bit slowly through Angel series 1 to be honest..
What i love about Buffy is that often you could see the everyday, real life issues behind the monsters and the magic, e.g. drug abuse, addiction, violence in relationships, domestic violence, annoying roommates etc. But what is Angel doing? Infiltrating the Nazi party, taking out hitler and saving the jews from the holocaust? hmm

smmudge said:
Going a bit slowly through Angel series 1 to be honest..
What i love about Buffy is that often you could see the everyday, real life issues behind the monsters and the magic, e.g. drug abuse, addiction, violence in relationships, domestic violence, annoying roommates etc. But what is Angel doing? Infiltrating the Nazi party, taking out hitler and saving the jews from the holocaust? hmm

I don't remember that.
Oh is that the one in the U Boat with the other Vampires?

Angel is what happens after high school, when you're adrift in a huge city and the 'real world' issues come into play.

Yes, racists / nazis, but also there's a lot of stuff around people who slip through the cracks of society, who looks after them, etc?

Have to say, I found Fred annoyingly wet in Angel until that thing happened to her at the end. Mind you, I would be as wet as hell* in any of those situations so it's probably some sort of projection thing (i.e. you get annoyed by traits you yourself possess!)

*although thinking about it, hell probably isn't that wet given the scorching temperatures and rivers of fire

Just listened to the Front Row special on Buffy. Very entertaining, especially the bit saying how they wanted to send Giles back to a British school and redo the whole thing here! It would probably have been awful, of course, but could have been soooooooooo funny.

Just listened to the Front Row special on Buffy. Very entertaining, especially the bit saying how they wanted to send Giles back to a British school and redo the whole thing here! It would probably have been awful, of course, but could have been soooooooooo funny.

Radio 4?

I was listening to a radio programme in bed last night, under "horror and super natural" on the iplayer apparently written by Amber Benson :)

Sorry about all the belated likes everyone, I've been catching up :oops:

Glitter I completely forgot about the Buffy Mastermind *cries* I will look for it tomorrow :(

I've been re-watching Buffy through my love film subscription, but I've only got a cheap one where I'm allowed 1 disc a month. I have to wait 3 whole weeks for my next Buffy fix!!! Not happy!! Especially as I'm stuck half way through Season 2, which is one of my favourite seasons

I've been re-watching Buffy through my love film subscription, but I've only got a cheap one where I'm allowed 1 disc a month. I have to wait 3 whole weeks for my next Buffy fix!!! Not happy!! Especially as I'm stuck half way through Season 2, which is one of my favourite seasons

Netflix.

I tried watching Buffy when it first came out but I gave up. First series is really poor, the fighting is laughable.

Then my husband started watching it on someone's recommendation (we got Netflix this Christmas). Once again, first series was pretty bad, but he was told it would get better...

And, boy, it sure did!!! Near the end of series three now. Not keen on Buffy's fashion sense, but Willow has been wearing some interesting outfits of late. I love Cordelia's say what you think ways and her banter with Xander.

The Buffy/Angel romance is pretty cheesy but it's bearable, and everything else makes up for it. And the fighting choreography has improved immensely!!! Not sure how it will keep this quality for however many series there are left, but I'm glad I finally got round to watching it.

the second half of series 2 is pretty damned great, and all of series 3 has been a ’page turner’.

edit: I don't think I should read any of this thread though, I bet it's full of spoilers :D

Last edited:
girasol said:
I tried watching Buffy when it first came out but I gave up. First series is really poor, the fighting is laughable.

Then my husband started watching it on someone's recommendation (we got Netflix this Christmas). Once again, first series was pretty bad, but he was told it would get better...

And, boy, it sure did!!! Near the end of series three now. Not keen on Buffy's fashion sense, but Willow has been wearing some interesting outfits of late. I love Cordelia's say what you think ways and her banter with Xander.

The Buffy/Angel romance is pretty cheesy but it's bearable, and everything else makes up for it. And the fighting choreography has improved immensely!!! Not sure how it will keep this quality for however many series there are left, but I'm glad I finally got round to watching it.

the second half of series 2 is pretty damned great, and all of series 3 has been a ’page turner’.

edit: I don't think I should read any of this thread though, I bet it's full of spoilers :D

Oh I am ridiculously excited that you get to watch it for the first time! :D

And really do watch it to the end.
It changes and develops a lot more from where you are :cool:

girasol, Buffy's dress sense in series two and three always seemed to be straight out of Clueless. I don't think I'm giving you any spoilers by saying that it changes significantly next series as she starts growing up!

Anyway, I finished the whole box set yesterday :( What am I going to do with my time now?? Have been given an iTunes voucher and am wondering whether to try out the first series of Dollhouse. I may order the Angel box set for the future, and I've already got Firefly, which I could re-watch. Decisions decisions... :D

girasol, Buffy's dress sense in series two and three always seemed to be straight out of Clueless. I don't think I'm giving you any spoilers by saying that it changes significantly next series as she starts growing up!

Anyway, I finished the whole box set yesterday :( What am I going to do with my time now?? Have been given an iTunes voucher and am wondering whether to try out the first series of Dollhouse. I may order the Angel box set for the future, and I've already got Firefly, which I could re-watch. Decisions decisions... :D

Dollhouse was pretty good.

Suffered a similar 'network mucking about with episode order and then dumping' fate as Firefly, but has some great storylines, decent action and good supporting cast (as much as I love Eliza Dushku, she's not a strong enough actress to carry a show like this, but the actors around her make up for it).

Probably the most 'morally grey' series Whedon's done, but interesting.

Dollhouse was pretty good.

Suffered a similar 'network mucking about with episode order and then dumping' fate as Firefly, but has some great storylines, decent action and good supporting cast (as much as I love Eliza Dushku, she's not a strong enough actress to carry a show like this, but the actors around her make up for it).

Probably the most 'morally grey' series Whedon's done, but interesting.
Really?Buffy fights a genocidal war, killing first and asking questions later. She knows that demons can be good guys but she will still behead or stake them without hesitation. She's occasionally nice to her mates though.

Back
Top Bottom