Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British woman has her holiday to Benidorm ruined "because her hotel had 'too many Spanish people"

As a member of the community may I cordially ask you what`s got up your nose ? ... considering I don`t think we have spoken once before?

As a member of the community, may I cordially respond with 'Fuck you too, you half-witted wanker'?

Steady on, Major

15166517_1507164825.jpg

Back on the narrative surely, the issue was Benidorm, ugh, you wanna go there ?

benidorm.jpg

Complete with weird & empty vagina tower, emblematic of the coastal over hype & recession....I only mention this as I drove past on the coastal road earlier this year and you see Benidorm from the hinterland angle and think noooooo...luckily it passes quickly and we headed north to the lovely old town of Denia.
unfinished-intempo-apartment-towers-seen-spanish-eastern-coastal-village-benidorm-near.jpg

It has an epic water park.

It has an epic water park.

I went to a water park in France once. One memory of that visit that will always stick with me is that of entering a wooden diving structure so gross with what I can only imagine was the flob of thousands of people, that it was dripping with it. Barf barf barf why the fuck do people do such revolting shit? :mad:

From what I can recall, Benidorm may appear to full of lobster hued brits at first glance but it it a proper living town with proper Spanish people and tapas and everything if you look at bit deeper. Franco personally approved of the development of Benidorm to provide other income back in the 50’s/ 60’s iirc

As a member of the community may I cordially ask you what`s got up your nose ? ... considering I don`t think we have spoken once before?

Merely replying on behalf of the Urban community, of which I am a part, which you described as:

You fucking arseholes ! FUCK YOU :mad:

So, not a personal message to you (I have given up responding vigorously) , but one on behalf of the whole maligned community. :)

Merely replying on behalf of the Urban community, of which I am a part, which you described as:

You fucking arseholes ! FUCK YOU :mad:

So, not a personal message to you (I have given up responding vigorously) , but one on behalf of the whole maligned community. :)

Did you see the link in that post? Well, I was talking about that.

To bring this closer to home, I just saw someone on another board complaining bitterly because St Ives had been allowed to be built with inadequate disabled access.

Franco personally approved of the development of Benidorm to provide other income back in the 50’s/ 60’s iirc

Franco's role strangely enough was in personally deciding to allow the bikini in Benidorm.

The person most responsible for the development of Benidorm from a fishing village into a large modern holiday resort with sky scrapers and masses of foreign sunbathers, including bikini-clad ones, was a man called Pedro Zaragoza Orts. He was the mayor of Benidorm in the 50s and 60s and the development of the place in that period was basically his great project. Pedro Zaragoza Orts - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

He was of course a member of Franco's strange amalgamation of a party la FET y de las JONS. I don't think you had any chance of being mayor in those days if you were not a Franquista. But he came into conflict with the movement when he decided to let women wear bikinis. As well as the movement's opposition, he also had the opposition of the Civil Guard and of course of the Church. The Archbishop of Valencia tried to get him excommunicated.

He thought that allowing bikinis was so important to his project of attracting glam foreign tourists to Benidorm that he asked for an audience with el caudillo himself. He set off on his Vespa from Benidorm and rode all the way to Madrid, turned right and continued on to the Pardo (Franco's lair) to the north west of the city, had his audience with the dictator and persuaded him that, for economic reasons, yes, he would allow the indecency of the bikini in Benidorm.

(When I first came across this curious little story years ago I thought there really ought to be a film made about it. I now notice in the Wikipedia article about Pedro Zaragoza Orts that a film has been made. Apparently it's called Bikini and was made in 2014.)

BTW, just on the subject of segregation in Benidorm, I believe there is a sort of informal voluntary beach apartheid there. There are two big beaches with the old town between the two. One of them, Levante, is largely British, while the other, Poniente, is largely Spanish.

Last edited:
Mrs NBE has asserted that the road trip from Benidorm to el Jefe on a moped must be bollocks as the Alicante to Madrid train would have been the logical route

Franco's role strangely enough was in personally deciding to allow the bikini in Benidorm.

The person most responsible for the development of Benidorm from a fishing village into a large modern holiday resort with sky scrapers and masses of foreign sunbathers, including bikini-clad ones, was a man called Pedro Zaragoza Orts. He was the mayor of Benidorm in the 50s and 60s and the development of the place in that period was basically his great project. Pedro Zaragoza Orts - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

He was of course a member of Franco's strange amalgamation of a party la FET y de las JONS. I don't think you had any chance of being mayor in those days if you were not a Franquista. But he came into conflict with the movement when he decided to let women wear bikinis. As well as the movement's opposition, he also had the opposition of the Civil Guard and of course of the Church. The Archbishop of Valencia tried to get him excommunicated.

He thought that allowing bikinis was so important to his project of attracting glam foreign tourists to Benidorm that he asked for an audience with el caudillo himself. He set off on his Vespa from Benidorm and rode all the way to Madrid, turned right and continued on to the Pardo (Franco's lair) to the north west of the city, had his audience with the dictator and persuaded him that, for economic reasons, yes, he would allow the indecency of the bikini in Benidorm.

(When I first came across this curious little story years ago I thought there really ought to be a film made about it. I now notice in the Wikipedia article about Pedro Zaragoza Orts that a film has been made. Apparently it's called Bikini and was made in 2014.)

BTW, just on the subject of segregation in Benidorm, I believe there is a sort of informal voluntary beach apartheid there. There are two big beaches with the old town between the two. One of them, Levante, is largely British, while the other, Poniente, is largely Spanish.

This is the sort of informed insight you never get elsewhere on the Internet.

Some archive Benidorm pics

View attachment 255229

View attachment 255231

View attachment 255230

It's a diaspora sort of thing, isn't it?

image2.png

Librarie-la-page-exterior-1024x732-600x428.jpg

Gymraeg LLundain | Welsh Church of Central London | England

Some archive Benidorm pics

View attachment 255229

View attachment 255231

View attachment 255230

This dismal "patriotic" nonsense reminds me of the "England" I grew up in and longed to escape. Fortunately, university and London (particularly Brixton) enabled this. Now I live about two hours´ drive from Benidorm. It has the highest density of skyscrapers anywhere in the world except Manhattan, and my students tell me it´s not all louts in Union Jack shorts vomiting lager. There are large Spanish-only swathes of it, which don´t serve fish´n´chips with a side order of ugly British jingoism, and which are actually very nice. I think the problem of the lady in the story is she wanted the former, but the travel agent sent her to the latter.

Last edited:
This dismal "patriotic" nonsense reminds me of the "England" I grew up in and longed to escape. Fortunately, university and London (particularly Brixton) enabled this. Now I live about two hours´ drive from Benidorm. It has thie highest density of skyscrapers anywhere in the world except Manhattan, and my students tell me it´s not all louts in Union Jack shorts vomiting lager. There are large Spanish-only swathes of it, which don´t serve fish´n´chips with a side order of ugly British jingoism, and which are actually very nice. I think the problem of the lady in the story is she wanted the former, but the travel agent sent her to the latter.
We stayed in one of those skyscrapers at the time

The Gran Hotel Bali, a four-star hotel located in this city since 2002, is a 186-metre-tall building which stood as the tallest skyscraper in Spain for five years, until it was surpassed by the CTBA towers in Madrid and Intempo building, also in Benidorm. Intempo building is currently the fifth tallest of Spain and the tallest building in the Valencian Community.
This is interesting too
In 1954 Pedro Zaragoza Orts, the then young Mayor of Benidorm, created the Plan General de Ordenación (city building plan) that ensured, via a complex construction formula, every building would have an area of leisure land, guaranteeing a future free of the excesses of cramped construction seen in other areas of Spain. It is the only city in Spain that still adheres to this rigid rule.

Back
Top Bottom